Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't want to side track the thread too much, but I feel compelled to reply, since your signature doesn't show that you actually own a Tesla yet. Honestly, I don't really mind. Tesla Service has treated us well, far better than any other car manufacture we've ever dealt with. I gave them a pretty long list of items, they had to order some parts, our service advisor was out sick for a few days, and our local service center is one of the busiest in the country. They simply have more cars then techs. They're working on opening more service centers, but these things take time. I'd rather they keep my car long enough to fix the problems the right way, then rush through everything. Plus they gave me a P85D S to drive in the meantime!

Intersting idea, and one that I've considered myself. I do have a slight astigmatism, but I have lenses that correct for it. I have the ghosting with and without the corrective lenses. My husband does not have an astigmatism and he sees the same effect. Plus, neither one of us sees the same effect to such a degree in any non-Tesla car.
I'm more interested in helping people with Solar than I am touting ownership. Not sure why that would make a difference in your reply.

Quick question, who here see's ghosting and has astigmatism? Also anyone see it and does not have astigmatism?

I do not have an astigmatism, nor do any of my family members who see the ghosting clearly. It is so bad, we have to switch drivers at night to replace the driver who has gone bug-eyed or gotten nauseous from the double images. Tesla really needs to get on this.

Well my idea is 100% wrong. I do not have the PUP so the dash is standard, this is important because the mesh shows a lot during the day on the window. I've had this in other cars that changed the way some light would be reflected and cause eye tricks.

At night I covered the mesh and it was still there, for me height does not matter but at the same time it's very minor. It is not a huge issue for our X and really only is noticeable when I look for it.

I'm more interested in helping people with Solar than I am touting ownership. Not sure why that would make a difference in your reply.
I think his point was that you might not have been exposed to the Tesla Service experience if you hadn't owned one. Therefore, you might not realize that it wasn't terribly onerous to be without the car, knowing they're doing their best.

But I don't know what solar has to do with this. ;)

Reactions: Scmbug
I think his point was that you might not have been exposed to the Tesla Service experience if you hadn't owned one. Therefore, you might not realize that it wasn't terribly onerous to be without the car, knowing they're doing their best.

But I don't know what solar has to do with this. ;)
Solar has nothing to do with this. I didn't want to fill up my Signature with useless ownership stuff. I would rather include my Signature with my Solar accomplishments.
I was being asked about my signature. That's why solar came up.

Anyway.. For those who have 2 Teslas or a backup ICE car - Sure, having your car in service for weeks on end might not be an issue, however for "common" people - it might be an issue.

Solar has nothing to do with this. I didn't want to fill up my Signature with useless ownership stuff. I would rather include my Signature with my Solar accomplishments.

Anyway.. For those who have 2 Teslas or a backup ICE car - Sure, having your car in service for weeks on end might not be an issue, however for "common" people - it might be an issue.
It's not an issue because Tesla gives you a loaner vehicle while your car is in service. I made sure they understood I need to sit 6 people, instead of 4 children. Last time they rented me an Audi Q7; this time they gave me a Model S P85+ loaner that has rear facing seats. Granted, I'd still rather have my Model X 90D with autopilot, but I'm not up-a-creek.

Reactions: Scmbug
It's not an issue because Tesla gives you a loaner vehicle while your car is in service. I made sure they understood I need to sit 6 people, instead of 4 children. Last time they rented me an Audi Q7; this time they gave me a Model S P85+ loaner that has rear facing seats. Granted, I'd still rather have my Model X 90D with autopilot, but I'm not up-a-creek.
I'm not sure that everyone has received a loaner.

I'm not sure that everyone has received a loaner.
No, many people get a rental instead at busy service centers. Enterprise is their partner. And I don't know if you get one for non warranty work (like if you buy winter tires, or ar a repair not covered under the warranty for some reason). I do wonder if this will scale when the Model 3 comes out.

That said, no, I don't know for sure that everyone waiting on warranty work gets a car, either.

No, many people get a rental instead at busy service centers. Enterprise is their partner. And I don't know if you get one for non warranty work (like if you buy winter tires, or ar a repair not covered under the warranty for some reason). I do wonder if this will scale when the Model 3 comes out.

That said, no, I don't know for sure that everyone waiting on warranty work gets a car, either.
I've always gotten either a loaner or an Enterprise car. When the latter, it's usually if I don't have a scheduled appointment (that is, there's been an urgent issue and they fit me in). My Service Center loans Mercedes C class sedans.

I might be closer to "common" people than most X owners, and I'll agree. Always had a loaner, but having to move stuff back and forth every other week, re-program garage door openers, set up seats, and so on every other week is annoying. Honestly the S (usually the loaner) is a great car, but the X is much much more comfortable for me. I've never had a car that spent 1/2 it's life in the shop. Luckily, the service center is amazing compared to any dealership experience I've had.

Luckily, the service center is amazing compared to any dealership experience I've had.
Really? My SC, in Rocklin, CA is very good. They are friendly, the place is clean, they offer me a loaner car (usually an MS), try to do my repairs while I wait, has wi-fi, water and coffee.

The Acura dealer I went to before getting the Tesla had all of that plus a dedicated lounge for waiters, snacks, reading material, work areas, private booths for people making secure phone calls and a shuttle service.

Really? My SC, in Rocklin, CA is very good. They are friendly, the place is clean, they offer me a loaner car (usually an MS), try to do my repairs while I wait, has wi-fi, water and coffee.

The Acura dealer I went to before getting the Tesla had all of that plus a dedicated lounge for waiters, snacks, reading material, work areas, private booths for people making secure phone calls and a shuttle service.

Maybe just my part of the world. I've had Jeep, Honda, Lexus and Toyota. All terrible.

Perhaps with appropriate glasses and a glass of the same angle, specifications, processing and film should cancel the ghost picture

160904082354538383.png

Perhaps with appropriate glasses and a glass of the same angle, specifications, processing and film should cancel the ghost picture

160904082354538383.png
Funny - but true. Good polarized sunglasses have made this a non-issue for me during the day, assuming I have them on hand to wear. Otherwise the car is borderline un-driveable for extended periods. The remaining problem is at night where I don't want to take the minimum 50% attenuation in the incoming light by wearing non-tinted polarized glasses. Nothing makes me feel more tired driving at night than feeling like I am bleary-eyed when everything is actually fine with my eyes.

Quick question, who here see's ghosting and has astigmatism? Also anyone see it and does not have astigmatism?
I have Perfect vision and I see ghosting of at least 3 of one light.
I just heard from my Tesla service today and tesla has found a solution. They will be replacing my windshield when they receive the replacement......apparently they are on back order so who knows when this is going to happen.

I have Perfect vision and I see ghosting of at least 3 of one light.
I just heard from my Tesla service today and tesla has found a solution. They will be replacing my windshield when they receive the replacement......apparently they are on back order so who knows when this is going to happen.
Ooh, interesting. Supposedly I was on "the list" to get priority replacement when I first brought it up on August 1. I was last in for service on Friday, and was there again today (had to buy a new tire - had a non-repairable nail in one. Ouch). This was not mentioned at all. Keep us updated. If you really do receive a replacement windshield that fixes the problem, my SA will be getting an email :).

All this loaner talk... How often is everyone in service center with their X. My closest SC is a solid 3 hours or 150+ miles away. Not an easy or fun drive to make often. Loaner or not.
Mine has been in 3 times since March, all trivial. Two were handled while I waited, one was an overnight because Tesla wanted some time to test some new firmware that my car was an early receiver of and the SC did not have prior experience with.