Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. Here's a statement I received from the SC:

"Based on internal testing and data from the supplier, there is no evidence of a wide range of variation in Model X windshields that would result in the reflections issue occurring on some windshields but not on others. This said, sensitivity to this effect remains quite variable among customers, with some more sensitive than others.

Tesla Engineering is working with the supplier to fine-tune the design of the windshield to reduce the frequency at which the issue occurs. This includes investigation and validation of processes and material technologies.

Customers sensitive to internal reflections in the windshield should be flagged for priority once a countermeasure is available.”

He failed to acknowledge that this statement does not really extend to my Model S. And this statement provides no insight into the physical variability (as opposed to variability in perception). I am flabbergasted. Will take some pics with my DSLR tonight, the phone does not do it justice at night.

The SC statement seems to imply that the ghosting is dependent on "customer sensitivity", which seems pretty silly to me. Everyone who has ever been in my MX at night clearly sees the ghosting and describes it in exactly the same way. I suppose it is possible that some people have just not noticed it yet, but I really don't think this is an issue of "sensitivity". Since most of the MX's were delivered during the longest days of the year, there has a been less of an opportunity to experience the ghosting, but I would guess that as the days become shorter the reports of ghosting will increase. Once you become aware of it, it is hard to live with.... sensitivity or not.

I spent some time with my Model X on this last night along with my wife. We could see some light ghosting but very minimal. It's either a big difference between windshields or in seating position. Maybe some people that are going to the Nor Cal event on July 31 should compare cars and drivers to see if we can identify a pattern.

I spent some time with my Model X on this last night along with my wife. We could see some light ghosting but very minimal. It's either a big difference between windshields or in seating position. Maybe some people that are going to the Nor Cal event on July 31 should compare cars and drivers to see if we can identify a pattern.
I'll bring the X if I can - happy to compare. I have triple ghosting.

Still haven't done that laser pointer/white poster board test I wanted to try...

What I want to know is if someone that has seen it one MX didn't see it in another MX ? anyone ?

if anybody in the seattle area has a model x with no ghosting issues i'd love to meet up to take a look, and i'd love to get your opinion if you see ghosting in my car which I think is pretty bad. i'd be more than happy to buy you lunch or coffee or whatever. also if you have a quiet AC i'd love to compare that too with mine that has a jet engine for an AC compressor.

if anybody in the seattle area has a model x with no ghosting issues i'd love to meet up to take a look, and i'd love to get your opinion if you see ghosting in my car which I think is pretty bad. i'd be more than happy to buy you lunch or coffee or whatever. also if you have a quiet AC i'd love to compare that too with mine that has a jet engine for an AC compressor.

Let us know what you find. I would also like to extend the invitation to anyone who doesn't see ghosting in the south florida area. According to my SC very few complained of the issue and I believe them, but it would be nice to see one without it

I finally have some pictures from my DSLR. They still don't do complete justice to the problem, but at least they show the triple imaging I'm getting.

IMG_2502.jpg
IMG_2497.JPG

I was at the service center today for a different issue (I left my front door open during last nights software update, and after that it would not operate. It needed to be recalibrated. My service guy said do not leave the door open for long periods or it may need to be recalibrated)

I also told him about the issue and provided the attached photos.
View attachment 170690 View attachment 170691 View attachment 170692 View attachment 170693 View attachment 170694 View attachment 170695
Nice pic's !!
The source company
Meet the maker of the Tesla Model X’s “Big Sky” panoramic windshield
looks like the put a ton of dough into the new factory - & got a lot of coat tail business due to the MX windshield .... i wonder if this will kill their profit margin.

Last edited:
Let us know what you find. I would also like to extend the invitation to anyone who doesn't see ghosting in the south florida area. According to my SC very few complained of the issue and I believe them, but it would be nice to see one without it

I should be getting mine in the Boca area in about a week. I am getting a test vehicle from Tampa with about 1,100 miles. I decided I didn't want to wait until November. (trading my non autopilot S and i drive about 70 highway miles per day) According to the SC, there is no ghosting issue noticed with the car. We shall see.
Did you get any tinting? Forums seem to like the Photosync?
Do you have anywhere in south florida to recommend?

I should be getting mine in the Boca area in about a week. I am getting a test vehicle from Tampa with about 1,100 miles. I decided I didn't want to wait until November. (trading my non autopilot S and i drive about 70 highway miles per day) According to the SC, there is no ghosting issue noticed with the car. We shall see.
Did you get any tinting? Forums seem to like the Photosync?
Do you have anywhere in south florida to recommend?

Actually the only ones who do photosync in South Florida as far as I know are in Boca. Its called Auto Super Shield though they told me they dont have a tint so large to fit the whole windshield. I dont want to do it yet to not waste money if my windshield will be replaced anyway. I will be out of town this week, but would be great to meet up with u in Boca to check out your windshield after sunset :) I will PM you when I come back!

Reactions: m2s2
I've now had the chance to drive in the late evening with lots of headlights a couple times. Yup. I've got the ghosting too. I've already got a Service Center appointment scheduled for some minor panel alignment issues and a small door ding upon delivery. I also thought I saw and felt some scratches in the windshield but they came off with some Windex and elbow grease. Also, I may have some overspray or something too that doesn't seem to want to come off so they've already got a windshield coming for me. I'll be sure to report the ghosting now too.

Love driving it though! So much fun!

Count me in. Double to triple vision at night depending on distance to light source. I can line up a green traffic light showing green from all three lights! Moving around - I have to be looking through the tint at the top, or down so low my eyes are barely clearing the steering wheel in order for the effect to dissipate. I wouldn't say it's nauseating to me, but definitely distracting. Especially on one vehicle that had vertically aligned turn signals and brake lights. They were turning, with brake lights on, and the turn signal made the brake light look like it was flashing between yellow and red.

Two dots and a 15 on my windshield.