Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have looked, but haven't found anything better than my Maui Jim HTs. The problem is that my middle-aged eyes need more light than they allow through.

I'll plug them again, though - they're great for cloudy days or standard dusk/dawn when you still see tail light/traffic light/street light ghosting. I wear them in the bright of day as well. I've got a couple pairs, and they're my favorite shades by far.

• Informative
Reactions: qadaemon and Scmbug
I recently took an extended test drive with lots of night time driving. The test drive car definitely had the ghosting, at least 2 images and a hint of a 3rd.

My general reaction is that I could live with it. That is based mostly on the fact that I have difficult eyes to correct and so I've lived with aberrations like this at various points in my life. My vision can be corrected just fine, but I wear contacts and so when you factor in comfort and ability to correct astigmatism and the fact that my pupils dilate wider than average at night (and not all contacts have a wide enough corrective portion in the center to cover my night-time pupil opening), I've had to live with "comfortable contacts that cause night vision issues vs. uncomfortable contacts that don't" before and learned to live with it. After a while you get used to it and and while you still see it, you just accept that it's what is going to happen with light sources and don't focus on it. When the alternative is a different pair of contacts that either aren't as comfortable or don't have as many options for astigmatism correction or require nightly solutions to take care of them, you make your choices. If the alternative here is an ICE car that might have a less curved windshield, the same choices come into play.

Having said that, I'd still much much rather that they find a solution for this. When my eyes are dry or tired I already can have a fair bit of this effect just coming from my contacts and I'd rather not have to deal with another source of this kind of aberration on a daily (nightly) basis.

I have had my X for several months, but i avoid driving it at night. In heavy traffic, the number of images is so great that i have trouble telling where the oncoming cars are. Tesla has been less than helpful. Twice i called the service center and they asked me to bring the car in so they could verify the problem. When i got there, no one would look at my car because they said there is no fix available, so there is no point in verifying. I would like to escalate but do not know how. The Texas Lemon Law requires that you have purchased from a Texas licensed dealer, and those do not exist for Tesla. Any ideas?

Very curious about this because I was told today by my service guy that he has not heard of a new manufacture.
Sorry, didn't get a notification of your reply. Mine is a pretty big issue and I've been dealing with Tesla folks at the Corp office. They confirmed the new manufacture. My replacement X got delayed for production I believe partially due to waiting for the new glass. I should be picking up within the next week or so.
Very curious about this because I was told today by my service guy that he has not heard of a new manufacture.

Sorry, didn't get a notification of your reply. Mine is a pretty big issue and I've been dealing with Tesla folks at the Corp office. They confirmed the new manufacture. My replacement X got delayed for production I believe partially due to waiting for the new glass. I should be picking up within the next week or so.

interesting. If there is in fact a new manufacture and it solves the issue, then they're going to need a lot of windshields....

interesting. If there is in fact a new manufacture and it solves the issue, then they're going to need a lot of windshields....
Yea, they will. They initially told me they would build mine without the new windshield then install the new one once the service center received them. I told them no way, they need to wait on my build until the new windshield is ready. I have one of their show room car's while I wait.

I'm hoping to get a service apt in January to address a punch list, maybe this could be on it.

Reactions: rgadue
I really doubt there is a "fixed" new windshield. My X just finished production 10 days ago and it is my second day of driving and tonight the ghosting was extremely noticeable. Two very clear images of each light and an extra third image somewhat more faint. Trying very hard not to pay much attention to the headlights on the approaching traffic but also finding the ghosting affects the brake lights of the vehicles in front of me and cannot afford to ignore those. Not pleased! :(

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
I really doubt there is a "fixed" new windshield. My X just finished production 10 days ago and it is my second day of driving and tonight the ghosting was extremely noticeable. Two very clear images of each light and an extra third image somewhat more faint. Trying very hard not to pay much attention to the headlights on the approaching traffic but also finding the ghosting affects the brake lights of the vehicles in front of me and cannot afford to ignore those. Not pleased! :(
I would take it back.

Posted this on the --- Tesla may not take ghosting seriously thread too.

FYI, my SC mgr offered to replace mine as I have an 2XX early VIN thinking they windshields would be better now. They replaced it but it is just as bad and, unless I am imaginating it, worse. As well I have creak noise now that appears to come from the windshield during normal braking (even regen) or acceleration or some general driving (turns, bumps, etc). Eeek. The delivery/dropoff person said they noticed it and they had called before getting to my house. The techs thought it would go away. That was 4 weeks ago but I was not driving it for a couple weeks in there.

I'm told that the 'creak noise' was a molding rubbing issue. I get the X back tomorrow as they fixed that and my 3rd row seat misalignment issue.

Some of us with pronounced ghosting on our MX have noticed that our windshields are physically wavy when looked at from an angle. Ohmman showed me this and when look to the right quarter of the windshield from the driver's seat I can clearly see the waves, which distort all objects. Not a huge deal, but it may be related to the ghosting issue.

We received our X on 20-Dec. It has no ghosting, VIN 31085.

However, now that you mention the waves, I do notice it at the extreme left side of the windshield if inspecting it from all angles. But this does not affect driving at all.

Hopefully Tesla is starting to reduce the occurrence of the problems and start to fix/replace those that currently exist

We received our X on 20-Dec. It has no ghosting, VIN 31085.

However, now that you mention the waves, I do notice it at the extreme left side of the windshield if inspecting it from all angles. But this does not affect driving at all.

Hopefully Tesla is starting to reduce the occurrence of the problems and start to fix/replace those that currently exist

I am ophthalmologist and I deal with people that have glare issues on daily basis. Things like big pupils, myopia, astigmatism and early cataracts on top of whatever is going on with windshield may make these issues a lot worse. Night time driving glasss with polarized lenses may make this somewhat better, but having read this thread, tesla needs to step up and fix this or this may become a potentially a liability issue in case of accidents. I would definitely at least document all your glare complaints with tesla.

Reactions: vrykolas
I took delivery on 12/31 - have had my Model X for 3 weeks. At first I thought this was fatigue or age (43) or bad vision, but it's not.

At night, when looking through the front windshield straight ahead, I see two sets of brakelights on cars in front of me - one set low and the other set slightly higher. In other words, this is a high/low effect not left/right, where the lower lights are brighter and the higher lights are dimmer - but still visible. Same is true of headlights if a car is driving towards me.

This has something to do with the windshield slope, glass type or tinting. I am 6'5" so I am probably looking forward towards the top of the windshield. I don't wear glasses or contacts and have great vision.

I have found that if I crouch down about 3 inches and look forward it goes away. This is not only super annoying but a serious safety issue.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced this?
2. Can it be explained and fixed?

I looked about 50% of the way through this forum but couldn't see this topic posted.

Thanks
Thanks for posting. I am 5'10" and have had my Model X for four months (took delivery on 8/26/2016) and have had double vision since taking delivery.

Unfortunately after a lot of research on this issue, I cannot seem to find a remedy. Not only will tinting not work, there are no local after market shops in the Bay Area that have the equipment to install a tint that doesn't have lines given the size of the windshield. At night polarized sunglasses do the trick...though who wants to wear sunglasses at night? Additionally, there are no known optical remedies for daytime lens with polarization that do not have some sort of tint to it.

I have my seat set at the lowest position and reclined to the point where I feel safe driving and my line of sight is six inches from the top of the steering wheel. Double vision persists.

The service center I am visiting with quite a bit of regularity is aware of the issues. I am on my third windshield (original windshield + two replacements), and according to the SC manager Tesla is awaiting a production refresh on the windshields that will "hopefully fix the issue" (SC Manager quote). Best recommendation I have is to continue to bring this issue up to your SC Manager so that it's properly logged.

Thanks for posting. I am 5'10" and have had my Model X for four months (took delivery on 8/26/2016) and have had double vision since taking delivery.

Unfortunately after a lot of research on this issue, I cannot seem to find a remedy. Not only will tinting not work, there are no local after market shops in the Bay Area that have the equipment to install a tint that doesn't have lines given the size of the windshield. At night polarized sunglasses do the trick...though who wants to wear sunglasses at night? Additionally, there are no known optical remedies for daytime lens with polarization that do not have some sort of tint to it.

I have my seat set at the lowest position and reclined to the point where I feel safe driving and my line of sight is six inches from the top of the steering wheel. Double vision persists.

The service center I am visiting with quite a bit of regularity is aware of the issues. I am on my third windshield (original windshield + two replacements), and according to the SC manager Tesla is awaiting a production refresh on the windshields that will "hopefully fix the issue" (SC Manager quote). Best recommendation I have is to continue to bring this issue up to your SC Manager so that it's properly logged.

Were all the replacement windshields because of the double vision issue?