Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting post!
I received delivery of my Model X on the 22:nd of December.
I had not heard or read about this issue, so you can say i did not expect to discover anything.
On the first evening on the motorway I remember thinking a car infront of me at a distance was a horse trailer, since I could see the taillights and then two more (smaller lights) at the top.
As i came closer I realised it was just a car.
Now i cannot stop noticing this double vision effect and I am thinking about it all the time at night.
I work among other things as a professional phoytographer and I know a thing or two about when an image is ok or in this case distorted.
I think this effect is very noticeable and definitely not acceptable on a car in this price range, I am shocked!

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
My wife was given a brand new loner out of Mission Viejo yesterday. She loved it. We drove around last night and the windshield was ghosting up to three additional images in some cases. She understands now why I reluctantly opted for the Model S rather than follow through with our X reservation. Equally irksome is that salespeople still act as though they've never heard about this issue, in many instances. Almost as though some are directed to say that. That kind of inconsistency just adds to the mix . As much as we love everything about the X, despite its warts, if we'd paid that much for a vehicle with such an issue - I'd really be grinding my teeth right now. My wife is still wanting to switch to the X if/when the fix ever comes about.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I received my Model X in late December 2016 and have the ghosting issue as well. I can only describe it as an imperfection in the glass (astigmatism) that is causing refraction of light. Depending on the angle the light comes in causes various distortions of the image. Reading back in these threads it seems that there is no sure fix. Some people report worse problems after replacing the windshield.

Several references to height of driver. Can any / some of the owners try an experiment? Maybe it's not height, but distance. Hows the distortion if you move much closer or farther back. I'm guessing - but maybe the affect increases/decreased based on that.
Thanks

My Dec 23rd delivery X has significant ghosting at night, LEDs are the worst. I complained to service and requested a windshield replacement - They didn't even bother responding to my emails after 3 attempts. Tesla is really burying their heads in the sand on the ghosting issue which isn't going to turn out well for them or investors in the end. Eventually, enough people will get fed up and the issue will be on multiple media outlets. Let's all hope Tesla fixes the issue before it gets to that point so our cars values don't plummet.

Several references to height of driver. Can any / some of the owners try an experiment? Maybe it's not height, but distance. Hows the distortion if you move much closer or farther back. I'm guessing - but maybe the affect increases/decreased based on that.
Thanks
What I noticed is the ghosting becomes very visible at about 10 to15 yards and I believe can last up to however far your sight allows you to see. For me it was a good amount of distance. 60-70 yards depending on traffic volume. So when less traffic you can focus on one car as it passes and can continue. Obviously when in volume traffic you're more focused on cars around you.
Most people think it's a height issue but I'm 5'4 and I really had to duck down for the ghosting yo not happen. Literally the last 12-15 inches of the windshield.
I've sent an email to my DS. I did bring this to her way before the delivery and she assured that this was not an issue. Let's see what the local Service Center has to say about this.

I dont follow, so it is an issue, or its not an issue? Are they attempting to fix the problem?
I'm sorry... yes it's an issue and I'm awaiting for Local Service Center and DS to get back to me. I had brought this up way before I took delivery based on this thread. I was assured this was not going to be an issue. I emailed them last night so waiting to see what they say.

Being 5'8" I see the ghosting issue as well. I find that it's an isolated area on the drivers side line of sight. If I look out from the bottom of the WS no ghosting occurs. Basically line of sight from the top of the dashboard is clear but impossible to drive in this fashion. No ghosting if I'm in the passenger side.

• Informative
Reactions: ABC2D