Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver profile change not moving a mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ZsoZso

Supporting Member
Apr 24, 2014
Mount-island
I have experienced a very specific strange bug related to driver profile switching:

Every time my son wants to drive the car after me and switches driver profile from mine to his, the right side mirror does not adjust, stays on my setting. For the first few times, he kept adjusting it again and saving each time, but then we found out that tapping the profile switch a second time (after everything else already moved to his position) actually triggers the correct movement of the mirror.

The problem consistently occurs each time we switch from my profile to his, but the other way around works fine.

Has anybody experienced anything similar ?
Is there any way to fix this ?

Reactions: apacheguy
Me too... kinda. For me, it was slightly different. When reversing, the mirrors rotate downward so you can see the curb. When you take it out of reverse, they should flip back up. 50% of the time, my passenger side mirrror would stay down. The only way I can get it to go back up if I was driving and didn’t notice it til later is to select my own driver profile again. I reported the bug via voice command. Ever since one of the last few updates, it’s fixed. Maybe try reporting yours too.

• Helpful
Reactions: ZsoZso
Hmmm. this is troubling to hear. This has happened to me a few times, and I just chalked it up to some sort of confusion and ignored it, because there's no reliable way for me to reproduce it for service. It generally works fine. But every now and again, one of the mirrors stays where it was. :sigh: I'd be interested to know that the "fix" is. New mirror?

Are you and your son using the same fob? Sound like it and sounds like you have driver profiles enabled on the fob. I recommend you unselect that.

If you are using separate fob, then it sounds like his fob is not using an assigned driver profile.

I've noticed the same problem on our car. Curious - is your mirror adjustment "in" closer to the car than your son's?

Big Earl's setting is further out than mine. When I recall my profile, the right mirror doesn't move. If I recall my profile a 2nd time, the mirror goes to the correct place.

But I've never heard him complain that his setting isn't recalled the first time. I've deleted and recreated my profile, but it didn't change the issue.

-J

I've noticed the same problem on our car. Curious - is your mirror adjustment "in" closer to the car than your son's?

Big Earl's setting is further out than mine. When I recall my profile, the right mirror doesn't move. If I recall my profile a 2nd time, the mirror goes to the correct place.

But I've never heard him complain that his setting isn't recalled the first time. I've deleted and recreated my profile, but it didn't change the issue.

-J

Works fine for me every time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW, When you look for the settings to save the down-tilted position for when you put the car in reverse, you need to save to your profile while in reverse. Then put the car in park and after you have the mirrors where you want them, save to your profile again.

Curious - is your mirror adjustment "in" closer to the car than your son's?

I think this is the issue, I think there are positions that can't be reached if one driver is vastly different than the other. Like it needs to come in more before moving down. Instead it tries to move down, then come in, when it would work if it came in, then down.... if that makes any sense.

BTW, When you look for the settings to save the down-tilted position for when you put the car in reverse, you need to save to your profile while in reverse. Then put the car in park and after you have the mirrors where you want them, save to your profile again.

I've found that the whole saving of settings for reverse don't really work. I want the mirrors in reverse to come down AND move the angle so I can see the right hand wheel in relation to the curb (I have the mirrors pointing pretty far out to see my blind spot when moving forward, so I can't see the wheel if they simply angle down). Unfortunately, even after saving the correct setting while in reverse, from the forward position, they just rotate down, and I am left blind to the wheel position. In fact, maybe I wasn't blind to the wheel position - but I believe after saving them in reverse, the in/out position of the mirror was then incorrect when moving forward. In any case, I could not decouple the forward and reverse mirror positions completely (both adjustments different), no matter what I tried.

Honestly, to me it seems like there is just a fixed downward tilt applied to the mirrors relative to their forward position, when you shift to reverse. I know I have seen here you could save that reverse position, but haven't been able to get it to work for me.

Are you and your son using the same fob? Sound like it and sounds like you have driver profiles enabled on the fob. I recommend you unselect that.

If you are using separate fob, then it sounds like his fob is not using an assigned driver profile.

We do not use any fobs at all, its Model 3 and we have no fobs, just phone-key.

-J

Mine is more "out", i.e. as wide as possible pretty much to the limit. My son has shorter legs, so he is more forward and therefore needs more inward facing mirror position.

I think this is the issue, I think there are positions that can't be reached if one driver is vastly different than the other. Like it needs to come in more before moving down. Instead it tries to move down, then come in, when it would work if it came in, then down.... if that makes any sense.

This could be the reason, indeed. When I had adjusted to my desired setting I noticed that I had to use a certain order to get where I wanted, if I tried to move first horizontal it wouldn't go wide enough, but by adjusting vertically first, then horizontally I could get a bit more out of it.

I deleted the profile and tried creating it two different ways.

Once it went left/right to the position it should be then up and down.

If that doesn't work try deleting again. And going up and down first then left/right.

I think there is an issue where it can't go up or down as far when it's out very far and when the profile is being restored it tries to restore in the wrong order.

I deleted the profile and tried creating it two different ways.

Once it went left/right to the position it should be then up and down.

If that doesn't work try deleting again. And going up and down first then left/right.

I think there is an issue where it can't go up or down as far when it's out very far and when the profile is being restored it tries to restore in the wrong order.

Thanks for the tip will try again. Yes I did left right and went out far in my profile. When changing it goes left right but not up/down. Tesla said it is a firmware bug.