Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving with Sunshades (Top and Rear) - Keeping the Wife Happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GolanB

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2018
NYC
Has anyone had experience driving with Sunshades (top and rear) and can comment on whether or not the reduced visibility is an issue?

I've got what might be a universal issue while driving with my wife, who hates the A/C! She's totally fine without A/C in tropical weather, and I'm much more comfortable with it being cool. I felt the heat this past weekend coming in strong from the glass, and I'm hoping to keep my A/C consumption down with the sunshades.

Some people have warned that they can't keep the car cool enough when driving in the summer sunlight. Others have complained that they lose out on solar heat during the winter if they tint their glass, so this seems like a reasonable alternative. This vendor is selling top and rear shades at about half the cost of Tesla, and I'm considering it for purchase:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunshade-Ove...07Q9BC8K7/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This one works great, doesn't cover all the way back on the rear window, leaves good visibility. Definitely keeps the top of my head cooler. Easy to install, easy to remove for winter. Cheaper than Tesla's version, excellent fit, fast, immediate shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Model-Sunshade-Sunroof-Window-Compatible/dp/B07QNJR94V

How is the fit with the roof sunshade with and without the clips in your experience? Does it sag in the center? It has poor scores on fakespot when analyzing the reviews. Thanks.

How is the fit with the roof sunshade with and without the clips in your experience? Does it sag in the center? It has poor scores on fakespot when analyzing the reviews. Thanks.

Never tried it without clips, which are barely noticeable. I do not believe that they are intended to be used without retaining clips, and would not recommend using them without, as it would eventually fall down.

They do not appear to sag.

I have no idea what fakespot is, and don't see reference to it in any reviews.

As mentioned, they fit very well, and do a very good job of blocking out top light.

Reactions: mswlogo
Has anyone had experience driving with Sunshades (top and rear) and can comment on whether or not the reduced visibility is an issue?
The original Tesla rear shade significantly impairs rear visibility IMO. But the aftermarket model in your link apparently leaves the lower part of the rear window open, so it should not be an issue.
I've got what might be a universal issue while driving with my wife, who hates the A/C! She's totally fine without A/C in tropical weather, and I'm much more comfortable with it being cool. I felt the heat this past weekend coming in strong from the glass, and I'm hoping to keep my A/C consumption down with the sunshades.
I don't think the shades will significantly reduce the ambient interior temperature (after all, they do not keep any energy from entering the car), so they might not do what you are looking for. They do prevent radiant heat from the roof from hitting your head and reduce glare from the sun at certain angles. A darker interior can also "feel" cooler psychologically.
Some people have warned that they can't keep the car cool enough when driving in the summer sunlight. Others have complained that they lose out on solar heat during the winter if they tint their glass, so this seems like a reasonable alternative.
A car soaking in the sun without A/C will get hot no matter what. Your best bet is probably to get your wife to accept the A/C. ;) Perhaps try a very low fan speed and point the air flow away from her?

Attachments

• 3DF39D7F-0C02-41A9-8083-1BF0E6A1FD63.jpeg
    3DF39D7F-0C02-41A9-8083-1BF0E6A1FD63.jpeg
    698.9 KB · Views: 312
  • 8437AF0C-C225-4BE7-A7D4-9A72942A752A.jpeg
    8437AF0C-C225-4BE7-A7D4-9A72942A752A.jpeg
    671 KB · Views: 161
  • 436F10F2-629D-4819-BDE9-84FE3C07D251.jpeg
    436F10F2-629D-4819-BDE9-84FE3C07D251.jpeg
    589.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 6F1F25D5-B036-4E83-8E5D-5C146F887E3E.jpeg
    6F1F25D5-B036-4E83-8E5D-5C146F887E3E.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 167
  • 1B5FC64B-A96A-44FF-921B-3643221443FB.jpeg
    1B5FC64B-A96A-44FF-921B-3643221443FB.jpeg
    644 KB · Views: 150
  • 33120FA5-A21E-47A1-BC6F-3C0441D6C682.jpeg
    33120FA5-A21E-47A1-BC6F-3C0441D6C682.jpeg
    655.2 KB · Views: 150
  • A5E276D7-193B-4642-A20F-F3F5F5986CFC.jpeg
    A5E276D7-193B-4642-A20F-F3F5F5986CFC.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 161
Hi everyone, I just got mine from Amazon, the front one fits perfectly, but the rear one keeps falling even when using the holders.
My only take is the reduced visibility of the rear window.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07QRPK3J1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ikk-CbRKJG22H

I have the same exact ones and love them. Installed it the same day I got them and haven’t had any issue with the rear one falling. They all fit perfectly. I tinted 20% all around. Can see out the back much but that’s what’s the rear camera is for. Try and spin the rear one. Maybe you have it in wrong.

I have both Tesla Shades and was very worried about visibility and after a while I forget they are even there (day or night).
If you keep convincing yourself they impair your vision then they will impair your vision.

As folks have said, they probably don't keep the cabin cooler, but I think they might keep the seats cooler.

I didn't buy them for heat/sun, I bought them to help cut cabin noise down. I think the front one helps a lot. Not sure about the rear one. Very hard to measure.

Wish these companies would come out with some nice mud flaps.

I just purchased Carbon Fiber mudflaps.

I'm not sure if you meant to post that to this thread; but now that you did -- were you concerned about damage to your rocker panels and paint due to debris flying off your wheel? I've read about owners in Norway and Finland complaining about this, particularly where they use gravel in place of salt in the cold weather. I'm assuming you don't get very much of that in Hawaii ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Runnergirl
I'm impressed with this set https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKX4D6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which does not cover the entire rear window and also includes small shades for the rear triangle windows.

The fit is good without any gaps like others have experienced. The only issue is if a taller person ( > 6ft) were to sit in the back, their head could touch the sunshade, but I believe that is an issue with the OEM one as well. Maybe bending a bit might make it stick closer to the actual glass.

FWIW - I have both the sunshades. Combined with my 15% Tint, the car is pretty dark on the inside. So much so, that with sunglasses on, the rear window visibility is extremely limited. Living in sunny SoCal this isn't really a problem, but I wouldn't recommend the rear sunshade with a (dark) tint. At night it's essentially zero visibility.