Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
A friend let me drive his Model 3. It was just a short drive, maybe a mile on city streets. The car is very comfortable and handles very well. Acceleration is not as good as my Roadster, but it's reasonably zippy, and much better than my Prius or any of the small cars I've rented while traveling. Handling was very nice. Taking corners felt very stable. I was surprised that having the speedometer off to the side was not nearly as bad as I imagined, since it's at the top far left of the screen. I didn't play with the screen, but my friend showed me some of what it can do. For example, the knobs on the steering wheel are context-sensitive, so they do different things depending on what the screen is showing. I turned on AP for a few seconds, and found it kind of creepy. It will take some getting used to. My friend told me that where AP really shines is on the highway. On city streets it will stop if there's a car in front of you, but it won't stop for stop signs.

Fit and finish were excellent. The car has plenty of interior storage space, though I'd much prefer a liftback to the sedan body style. A liftback is a better use of space. In general, I don't care for minimalist style, or having nearly all functions operated through the screen. Afterwards, as we stood by the car talking, it kept locking and unlocking itself because we were just at that distance where it could not decide. I prefer the way my Prius does it: You have to touch the door handle for it to unlock, and you press a button to lock it, all providing the fob is nearby.

The glass roof starts far enough back that you don't actually see anything through it while driving. There's no start button: While the car is unlocked it's ready to drive. Just step on the brake and put it in gear. It shuts itself off when you get out and lock it.

My friend loves the car.

It didn't feel as big driving it as I feared it might. (I don't like big cars. My old '89 Honda Civic was the perfect size for me, and one of the things I loved about my old Zap Xebra was its small size.) But it's bigger than my Prius, which is already bigger than I'd really like. I'd say it's right on the cusp of being too big for me, but not a deal-breaker this early in the decision process.

I will definitely need a more comprehensive test drive before making a final decision. If I didn't already have a great electric car I'd buy the Model 3 in a heartbeat, but my decision is whether or not to switch from the Roadster to the 3, because I don't have parking for both, and still keep the Prius, which I need for my summer hiking trip to Canada until they install superchargers on the secondary roads I take getting there. If I could rent a Model 3 for a weekend, that would be ideal, to really give me time to play with it. That's what sold me on the Prius: The dealership let me take their demo from closing time on a Saturday afternoon until opening time on the Monday morning. I know that's not going to happen with the 3, but I'm hoping that maybe the car rental companies will have them and I can rent one.

A friend let me drive his Model 3. It was just a short drive, maybe a mile on city streets. The car is very comfortable and handles very well. Acceleration is not as good as my Roadster, but it's reasonably zippy, and much better than my Prius or any of the small cars I've rented while traveling. Handling was very nice. Taking corners felt very stable. I was surprised that having the speedometer off to the side was not nearly as bad as I imagined, since it's at the top far left of the screen. I didn't play with the screen, but my friend showed me some of what it can do. For example, the knobs on the steering wheel are context-sensitive, so they do different things depending on what the screen is showing. I turned on AP for a few seconds, and found it kind of creepy. It will take some getting used to. My friend told me that where AP really shines is on the highway. On city streets it will stop if there's a car in front of you, but it won't stop for stop signs.

Fit and finish were excellent. The car has plenty of interior storage space, though I'd much prefer a liftback to the sedan body style. A liftback is a better use of space. In general, I don't care for minimalist style, or having nearly all functions operated through the screen. Afterwards, as we stood by the car talking, it kept locking and unlocking itself because we were just at that distance where it could not decide. I prefer the way my Prius does it: You have to touch the door handle for it to unlock, and you press a button to lock it, all providing the fob is nearby.

The glass roof starts far enough back that you don't actually see anything through it while driving. There's no start button: While the car is unlocked it's ready to drive. Just step on the brake and put it in gear. It shuts itself off when you get out and lock it.

My friend loves the car.

It didn't feel as big driving it as I feared it might. (I don't like big cars. My old '89 Honda Civic was the perfect size for me, and one of the things I loved about my old Zap Xebra was its small size.) But it's bigger than my Prius, which is already bigger than I'd really like. I'd say it's right on the cusp of being too big for me, but not a deal-breaker this early in the decision process.

I will definitely need a more comprehensive test drive before making a final decision. If I didn't already have a great electric car I'd buy the Model 3 in a heartbeat, but my decision is whether or not to switch from the Roadster to the 3, because I don't have parking for both, and still keep the Prius, which I need for my summer hiking trip to Canada until they install superchargers on the secondary roads I take getting there. If I could rent a Model 3 for a weekend, that would be ideal, to really give me time to play with it. That's what sold me on the Prius: The dealership let me take their demo from closing time on a Saturday afternoon until opening time on the Monday morning. I know that's not going to happen with the 3, but I'm hoping that maybe the car rental companies will have them and I can rent one.
Great info, Daniel - thank you!

Can you give your opinion on passenger cabin size, and the size of the back seat area in particular? We just found out that kiddo #2 is on the way, so plan to have 2 car seats back there.

Oh, and can you also ask your friend if they'd be interested in driving over to Seattle to give me a test drive?

• Funny
Reactions: jsanford
Great info, Daniel - thank you!

Can you give your opinion on passenger cabin size, and the size of the back seat area in particular? We just found out that kiddo #2 is on the way, so plan to have 2 car seats back there.

We didn't have a lot of time since my friend had to be somewhere soon after, so I didn't look at the back seat. It wasn't of personal interest to me (i.e. nothing about the back seat would affect my decision to buy or not) and I figured there'd be plenty about it from serious reviewers.

Oh, and can you also ask your friend if they'd be interested in driving over to Seattle to give me a test drive?

Via Colorado, hopefully

I'll ask. ;) Hey, I know, I'll kill two birds with one stone and ask if I can drive it to Seattle for you to test drive. :) Maybe SageBrush can fly up to Seattle and you can both test drive it. That is, if my friend is willing to part with it for a couple of days. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. I think the answer will be no. :(

More of a friendly acquaintance. I never expected to be allowed to drive it at all. As I mentioned, time was the limiting factor. The person in question was/is quite busy. I don't even let my friends drive my Roadster.

Maybe a weekend car swap is in the cards in the future between you and your friendly acquaintance.

A roadster for a Model 3 seems perfect.

I prefer the way my Prius does it: You have to touch the door handle for it to unlock, and you press a button to lock it, all providing the fob is nearby.
Yep, the same system I have on my Prius, very easy to use and just leave the fob in purse, pocket, or smartphone case. You didn't elaborate that you just touch a designated area on the door handle to unlock it. The current TM3 system is way too complicated. I am hoping all this complication will be resolved by an app on a smartwatch.

Afterwards, as we stood by the car talking, it kept locking and unlocking itself because we were just at that distance where it could not decide. I prefer the way my Prius does it: You have to touch the door handle for it to unlock, and you press a button to lock it, all providing the fob is nearby.

I feel like this constant locking/unlocking issue that I've heard about now is going to continue to be a weird quirk until Tesla can figure out a software fix for it.

I would assume you can disable this same way you can disable auto-presenting doors and door handles in X and S. I personally don't appreciate any of this "smart" preconditioning stuff, it's dumb.

Yep, the same system I have on my Prius, very easy to use and just leave the fob in purse, pocket, or smartphone case. You didn't elaborate that you just touch a designated area on the door handle to unlock it. The current TM3 system is way too complicated. I am hoping all this complication will be resolved by an app on a smartwatch.

Yeah, the Leaf also.
- No problem at all touching the thumb button on the door while you anyway have to grab the door handle while closing or opening the door.

How do you feel about the regen on the Model 3?
If you've driven a dual-motor Model S/X before, how does it compare?

I had a very short test drive in a Model S once, and someone once let me drive one briefly (as in this case, about a mile or so) but both times were a long time ago, so I cannot compare the regen on the 3 with the S. But my friend is familiar with the S and says the regen on the 3 is similar to that. The regen on the 3 is very noticeably weaker than on my Roadster, and I'm used to the Roadster, so I wish it were the same. There is a setting to make the regen even weaker yet, for those that prefer that. There's also a setting to turn creep on or off. This car had it off. That felt odd to me, being used to the Roadster and the Prius, but my Zap Xebra had no creep, and I think I prefer not having creep.

I would assume you can disable [auto lock/unlock] same way you can disable auto-presenting doors and door handles in X and S. I personally don't appreciate any of this "smart" preconditioning stuff, it's dumb.

Yes, you can disable auto lock/unlock of the doors. But as far as I know, if you do, you then need to use the card key to lock and unlock. Or take the phone out of your pocket, open the app, and do it manually. My friend speculated that Tesla may eventually provide a sensitivity control, allowing you to select the distance from the car at which it responds.

I hate this system, but it would not affect my decision to buy the car. It's large size is a bigger concern, but this morning (subject to change, and likely to change back and forth many times) my inclination is to think I could get used to the size. Especially if auto-park works well enough.

P.S. The door handles are another poor design: You press on the front of the handle with your thumb to pivot the back of the handle outwards, so you can grab it and open the door. This requires your whole hand. On the Prius, you can touch the inside of the handle with a finger, and open it in the same motion. On the Roadster, you press the bar inside the handle and open the door in the same motion. Most cars, you pull out on the handle to open the door. This is the first I've seen that requires two contrary motions to open the door: Press with your thumb, then grab with your hand and pull out.

The overall "spaceship" motif makes everything more awkward.

How lucky you were to have your friend let you try it out!
This is the first I've seen that requires two contrary motions to open the door: Press with your thumb, then grab with your hand and pull out.
My 67 mustang requires you push in a thumb button, then pull on the handle (along with most 40s/50s/60s cars) so it’s not like this has never been done

How lucky you were to have your friend let you try it out!

Yes, absolutely!

My 67 mustang requires you push in a thumb button, then pull on the handle (along with most 40s/50s/60s cars) so it’s not like this has never been done

I didn't remember this. Thanks. So instead of inventing a new and futuristic bad idea, they've resurrected an old and largely abandoned bad idea. :confused: