Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drove a Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I understand your post correctly, I believe what you describe for the 3 is the way the S and X have always worked in that regard.

I had never heard of such a thing before. Note: I am not a car guy. I know extremely little about any cars other than those I've owned. I got the Roadster, not because it's a sports car, but because it's electric and I hate gasoline. I want the Model 3 because it's electric and will be more practical than the Roadster (a much as I love the Roadster).

And yes, when I remarked on it, my friend told me that the S and X and several other cars are like this.

Reactions: DR61
I'd rather not have to pull out my phone, open the app, scroll to the right screen, and select my choice.

Profiles are linked to your phone or key card. If using your phone, as soon as you walk up to the car and it unlocks, the seat, steering wheel, mirrors, drive settings, radio and vent(s?) will all be set according to your user profile. You can optionally take your phone out to select a profile, or select the profile from the 15" in-car display.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Profiles are linked to your phone or key card. If using your phone, as soon as you walk up to the car and it unlocks, the seat, steering wheel, mirrors, drive settings, radio and vent(s?) will all be set according to your user profile. You can optionally take your phone out to select a profile, or select the profile from the 15" in-car display.

I will be curious to see how well that works for couples. My wife and I will both have our phones set up as keys for the model 3 (which will be her car) and I always hold the door for her. It will be interesting if the car adjusts for her when she gets in or not.

I will be curious to see how well that works for couples. My wife and I will both have our phones set up as keys for the model 3 (which will be her car) and I always hold the door for her. It will be interesting if the car adjusts for her when she gets in or not.
for unlocking/profiles, the car uses the first BT signal it finds. BUT for BT audio, if multiple are present, it will go with the last to have been connected. (per the leaked Model 3 manual)

Looking forward to hearing from a current S owner on their opinion of the Model 3 turn radius. There was some discussion in earlier threads about it being disappointing.

Not a dealbreaker, but I do like a car that can make a tight turn.

Looking forward to hearing from a current S owner on their opinion of the Model 3 turn radius. There was some discussion in earlier threads about it being disappointing.

I seem to remember it's a lot better than my Roadster. But for turn radius, nothing beat my little Zap Xebra. Parallel parking that thing was soooooooo easy!

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSqB and DR61

Motor Trend says Model 3 has 38.1ft turning circle. Tesla lists Model S as having 37 ft. Roadster 36.7 according to car and driver. Maybe the Roadster feels like having a large turning circle compared to the size of the car.

FWIW there is a way to engage the emergency brake while driving in the Model S, though it's a bit obscure (it's done with the shifter stalk). I don't know if Model 3 has the same (probably does).
can you tell me more about this obscure engagement? what to do? Is it somewhere in the Owners Manual?

and, how in the ...did you discover activating the emergency brake while driving? Is there a story behind that?

Motor Trend says Model 3 has 38.1ft turning circle. Tesla lists Model S as having 37 ft. Roadster 36.7 according to car and driver. Maybe the Roadster feels like having a large turning circle compared to the size of the car.
My Model S feels like a barge. I think it is because I cant see the nose and keep clipping curbs when leaving tight parking places. I hope ArtSci gets his front camera switch working soon.

Or maybe coming to the Roadster from the Zap Xebra makes it feel huge. :) But really, even compared to my Prius, the Roadster feels like it's got a huge turning circle.

P.S. The door handles are another poor design: You press on the front of the handle with your thumb to pivot the back of the handle outwards, so you can grab it and open the door. This requires your whole hand. On the Prius, you can touch the inside of the handle with a finger, and open it in the same motion. On the Roadster, you press the bar inside the handle and open the door in the same motion. Most cars, you pull out on the handle to open the door. This is the first I've seen that requires two contrary motions to open the door: Press with your thumb, then grab with your hand and pull out.

The overall "spaceship" motif makes everything more awkward.

How is that a poor design? Too easy IMHO.

Most cars need something similar, nearly every door handle is different. The whole plan with the M3 was to come up with a reliable, simple, cheaper aerodynamic and functional alternative door handle to the S (which has a very expensive, complicated system). I think the M3 door handles are great, and I also LOVE that they've ditched the key fob.
Key fobs are a pain in the backside. Nearly everybody carries a smartphone these days (I can't think of anybody I know who doesn't) and if not, just use the card, which fits in a purse or wallet. Brilliant "outside the square" thinking. I'm sure software updates will add things like sensitivity control to avoid the locking/unlocking you were talking about. Again, the M3 will constantly "evolve" automatically, which is awesome.

Cya (from downunder.)....... a long wait for our model 3.

Profiles are linked to your phone or key card. If using your phone, as soon as you walk up to the car and it unlocks, the seat, steering wheel, mirrors, drive settings, radio and vent(s?) will all be set according to your user profile.

This is not true today. Profiles are set only via the touchscreen. That'll probably change with a software update. If I recall correctly, it took a while (years?) before Model S had the profile set via the key used to unlock the car. Changing profiles is easy, so it's not a big deal.

Also, radio presets, audio settings (equalizer), and vents are not tied to any profile today - they're global for all users.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and ölbrenner

Google says 19.4 turning radius for model 3, and 17.9 for my VW eGolf that I traded in for it. I certainly feel that the eGolf had a smaller turning radius. But it also had a ton of stupid things about it that I am not missing :)

Motor Trend says Model 3 has 38.1ft turning circle. ...

Google says 19.4 turning radius for model 3...

My first reaction was whaaaa? Then I saw that the first one is turning circle and the second is turning radius. Still, my Roadster feels as though it just about needs a football field to turn around in. My Zap Xebra practically turned on a dime. (Single front wheel. ;) )