Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I happened to buy ap when it was on sale some months back, had I known tesla was going to release eap
I would have reconsidered the purchase...
Is there any discounts for people that have basic ap and want to upgrade to eap?

You have to have, or purchase, basic AP before you can purchase EAP. So no, there is no discount.

So it is not like you could have bought EAP for $4k has you not already purchased basic AP.

Reactions: tren01t
Yeah who knows for sure, but this smells to me of an end-of-quarter revenue push. So might change October 7 or so. Maybe not, or maybe there will be something even more amazing after battery day, but the timing is too suspicious...

If this is an end-of-quarter rev push, someone at TSLA would be all over the announcements and Elon would tweet the same: buy it now for $4k, before it goes up after Oct 1.

I was lucky enough to grab FSD for $2K during their fire sale last year. At these prices I don’t think I would pull the trigger on EAP or FSD. A bit too much to swallow for a good number of owners. Surprised Tesla hasn’t launched their monthly subscription option for FSD yet. It would surely be a good revenue generator for them.
I wouldn’t do it now either and like you got in on the sale 18 months ago. I think there is a good chance they will have another FSD sale soon after declaring FSD feature complete in a few months. Every time I have recently made the prediction of aanother FSD sale, others replied that Tesla probably won’t do another sale because they don’t need the quick bucks at the end of quarters anymore. This EAP restoration says the opposite is true. Low hanging fruit always tastes good!

Has anyone checked what the price is if the don’t have autopilot? Does the EAP show up on your upgrade page? What is the price?

Someone has reported that it does show up for $4k, but you have to purchase basic AP for $3k first:

Yeah, I did not get AP on my Model 3 Performance. It's a drivers car and the we use the long range RWD for trips as the range is much better.

M3 Performance no AP

AP - $3K
EAP - $4K - Needs AP first. --> So - $7K
FSD - $8K - Needs AP first --> So - $11K

@Stretch2727 any chance you can post a screenshot of what the upgrade screen looks like for your Perfomance Model 3?

My personal advice is to pass. I have EAP from the old days (2018). It's pretty cool, the Nav on Autopilot and the Smart Summon, but they are basically just gimmicks to show off to people. You're not going to get $4k of actual utility out of them.

Nav on Autopilot and Auto Lane Change are like Autopilot itself. 99 times out of 100 it works great, and the other 1 time it tries to kill you. I've done 100 mile trips on NoA with zero interventions, but there's a stretch of Highway 87 a mile from my house that NoA flips out on every single time. As for Smart Summon, my kids find it wildly entertaining when I strap them into the car and then walk back to the mall entrance and then summon the car. But that's not exactly a "convenience". It's way faster to just walk to the car.

The $8K for FSD? If it were really self-driving I'd pay that in a heartbeat. But the Full Self Driving features for city streets have been "Coming Soon!" for 4 years now. When it does come out (next month? next year?), it'll probably be like Autopilot (99 times out of 100 it works great, and the other 1 time it tries to kill you). By the time it's good enough to nap in your car your car will be old.

I still don't understand how auto lane-change is worth $4000+ to people. But if that makes you happy, cool. I won't be upgrading. NoA doesn't even work on most roads around me, Smart Summon is illegal to use here currently, and AutoPark is still too slow. It's just not for me.

View attachment 589837 So on mine the FSD option mentions “Traffic-aware cruise control” which is not listed under the EAP option.

I’ve got standard AP right now and already have TACC. Is this a different version of it? Did they remove the functionality from my car?

This is what immediately caught my attention. It would be an odd mistake, but features do change by country (Canadian here too).

When configuring a new vehicle, it doesn't state that TACC is part of FSD (and implies it's part of base AP, as it is today). But both in the app and on the website when checking upgrades, TACC is listed for FSD.

I still don't understand how auto lane-change is worth $4000+ to people. But if that makes you happy, cool. I won't be upgrading. NoA doesn't even work on most roads around me, Smart Summon is illegal to use here currently, and AutoPark is still too slow. It's just not for me.

You answered your own "I don't understand". A lot of folks A) Live in areas where NoA works, and works well. If you live in a rural area, it loses a lot of its value. But in urban environments, it shines. And for car trips? In many cases, it's invaluable. B) A lot of folks don't live in Canada, so aren't bound by Canadian legalities.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
You answered your own "I don't understand". A lot of folks A) Live in areas where NoA works, and works well. If you live in a rural area, it loses a lot of its value. But in urban environments, it shines. And for car trips? In many cases, it's invaluable. B) A lot of folks don't live in Canada, so aren't bound by Canadian legalities.

I mean, I also drive a lot in other places (including the US pre-COVID) so it could still be theoretically useful on trips instead of daily use like you mentioned. I think I tried NoA somewhat recently in... Utah? Colorado? And it was hopeless. Hung out in the left lane way too long with no one around, and was very delayed in making the decision to go into the left lane to begin with. It also lacked the human perception of when is "better" to make a lane change - at full speed around tighter corners was really uncomfortable. I know some people don't deal with these pesky "corner" things though. AutoSteer plus manual lane changing is already 99% of the way there.

The illegality of Smart Summon is also a BC thing - not a Canada thing - to my understanding. This came about with the "wrong way/side self-driving Tesla" that went viral back when the feature was release, because that happened here. The provincial insurer's hand was forced to make a statement there. If this happened in other places, I'm sure most would be the same for the reason the provincial insurer make the statement: in most places, full self-driving operation of cars is not legal yet (and if they are, the ones owned by the average person still are not). It's worth noting that parking lots are mostly treated as public property here when it comes to accidents and such. This is of course avoiding the whole conversation on how useful Smart Summon actually is to most people in its current state.

I'm genuinely not sure what you mean by urban environments - I'd classify most of that still as "city streets", which EAP wouldn't cover?

EAP offer ends Sept 30.

EiUgxnZXcAIdazg