Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing that makes sense to me is that they are not confident enough in the product to allow people to trial it.

If you offer everyone a free trial when they get the car, or the opportunity to subscribe for one month at a time, you could end up losing all the buyers that pay for it upfront sight unseen and end up not thinking it was worth the money.

Also crazy to me that it's not on every loaner. There is close to zero incremental cost to put it on every loaner as a way to market the product, yet they don't.

If you have confidence in your product, you should be begging/paying people to try it.

Agreed, but I can see why Tesla doesn't offer it as a trial. These features take some getting used to - there is a learning curve to use them effectively and safely. Then there's the "trust" issue, which takes some time. If it's free for a few days, a lot of drivers might give up after a day or two. But if you bought it, you will be much more motivated to "make it useful". There are about 4000 reasons why this is so. :D And that's a good thing.

Subscription is a better idea, but initially there would probably be a minimum. In any case, I'm sure Tesla has explored all alternatives and settled on the one most profitable for them.

Reactions: PACEMD and AZAV8R
At these prices I don’t think I would pull the trigger on EAP or FSD.

Exacty.
I may have considered paying $500 for another batch of buggy and flaky software features.
$1K would be pushing it.
$4-8K is just stupid, for at most a year or two more the Model 3 will be staying in my garage. Beyond that, it will be traded for something new and better.

Don't waste your money. The only reason tesla would bring this back is because they raised FSD price to high and people stopped buying it. This option would not exist otherwise. Maybe they will have another sale if this doesn't sell

Indeed.
Financial engineering to report a quarterly profit is a powerful motivator!

Agreed, but I can see why Tesla doesn't offer it as a trial. These features take some getting used to - there is a learning curve to use them effectively and safely. Then there's the "trust" issue, which takes some time. [...] Subscription is a better idea

Therein lies the problem - subscription is a form of a trial.
If people don't like what they get, they will cancel the subscription for the second month, and never come back.
If Tesla is not comfortable offering 30-day money back guarantee on FSD today (for all the obvious reasons), they sure as heck wont offer monthly subscription service for the same set of features!

But with TACC and Autosteer free now, $4k for lane changes and the rest of the crap makes very little financial sense.

1. TACC and Autosteer are NOT free: the cost of the vehicle went up by (if I recall correctly) $3,000 when they started including it
  2. NONE of this makes "financial sense" - they are CONVENIENCES being added to the car. There is no ROI for this (other than some increased resale value.

1. TACC and Autosteer are NOT free: the cost of the vehicle went up by (if I recall correctly) $3,000 when they started including it
Call it free, call it included, call it whatever you want. It’s immaterial to the argument, and if you consider that you’re already paying $3k for TACC and Autosteer the extra $4k for the added features is an even worse deal.

1. NONE of this makes "financial sense" - they are CONVENIENCES being added to the car. There is no ROI for this (other than some increased resale value.

Few of us purchase “CONVENIENCES” without a value analysis, which is another way of evaluating whether or not something makes “financial sense”. If I receive satisfactory value from something, I can conclude it makes financial sense, even if it’s ultimately a depreciating investment. I maintain the value per dollar of the EAP package is particularly poor in its current configuration, by my analysis. Others will no doubt reach different conclusions.

For that matter, apparently far too many people have realized $8k for FSD is absurdly low value, so Tesla is fishing for some more dollars. Elon’s magical thinking about Teslas being “appreciating assets” to support FSD price increases aside.

2. NONE of this makes "financial sense" - they are CONVENIENCES being added to the car. There is no ROI for this (other than some increased resale value.

You are correct. I remember they added autopilot to everything except the off menu car and bumped the price of the cars up for it. Really they just forced you to pay for it even if you didn't want it. People forget things and now we just call it included free.

Reactions: tren01t
In the past, how long do things like this stay available? Until the end of the month/quarter? So another week or so?
Yeah who knows for sure, but this smells to me of an end-of-quarter revenue push. So might change October 7 or so. Maybe not, or maybe there will be something even more amazing after battery day, but the timing is too suspicious...