Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) for $4k. Who’s in?

Are you getting EAP?

• Yes

Votes: 72 19.1%
  • No

Votes: 172 45.6%
  • Wait and see

Votes: 133 35.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it is expensive, it is probably not worth it, but I still want it and I am on the fence. The humanity of having to change your own lane sucks on ap
I actually popped for it late last week and used it over the weekend. Summon, a novelty at best. I can walk faster than it came to me. As for the auto lane change function, it wasn't worth $4,000, it just wasn't. TACC is perfectly fine for my driving needs. So I gave it back late Sunday evening and received my $4,310 credit last night.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
@captn_bob was disappointed it said Beta and asked when it will be final. The answer is never. There will never be a fixed point "this is it" version. It will constantly be updated, corrected, improved. And that's a good thing.

Not that EAP won't be updated, it will be. It would be suicidal for Tesla not to enhance the safety of any of the "levels". But development is one of the reasons I went FSD. It's all a moving target, it's never been done before, and I want those updates on everything they are working on.

As to another two day trial ... @St☰v☰ well, if all you tried was 'summon' and 'auto lane change', and the car doing all the freeway navigation and driving from your home on-ramp to your work off-ramp (for as long as you have the car) isn't worth $4k, I guess nothing like that has any value, LOL.

And I guess it's worth repeating that Summon isn't so much a divine feature as a low speed test bed for operations that are working their way into street level AP. Still, it was useful twice for me. One time when it was raining, and another time when I was in too much pain to limp over to the car.

Last edited:
The reason this looks desirable is because FSD is priced at $8k. Personally, I think FSD is way overpriced for the feature set it has today. I wouldn't get $4k of value out of EAP.

I'm hoping they offer a reasonable subscription for EAP next quarter.

It absolutely is overpriced for what it is. FSD is still AT LEAST a decade away from being a real thing (being generous), and that is the reason they are introducing a cheaper Tesla in a few years. They would not be doing that if FSD was coming to fruition in < 5 years.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
No: it is overpriced for what it is FOR YOU. For some, it is not and that is why they chose to get it.

It is overpriced for me, but that is MY decision.

I feel like you are arguing something that no one would dispute. That is how everything works when people referred to it being overpriced. Eg, a $10K gold edition Apple Watch was worth that cost to some people. Overpriced as hell to me.

Reactions: flyingowl
I feel like you are arguing something that no one would dispute. That is how everything works when people referred to it being overpriced. Eg, a $10K gold edition Apple Watch was worth that cost to some people. Overpriced as hell to me.

The whole FSD model is broken. Aside from it being overpriced for beta features that you help them test/develop, the part where FSD is tied to a car is really stupid. With any normal software you buy, you aren't tied to running it on a certain computer. You should be able to buy a FSD license per car, and it should be tied to your account. Hopefully subscriptions will help.

Reactions: nayr14
The whole FSD model is broken. Aside from it being overpriced for beta features that you help them test/develop, the part where FSD is tied to a car is really stupid. With any normal software you buy, you aren't tied to running it on a certain computer. You should be able to buy a FSD license per car, and it should be tied to your account. Hopefully subscriptions will help.
Obviously you haven’t purchased software lately

• Informative
Reactions: Nels
You intimate that the car is capable of autonomous lane changes, I thought the driver had to initiate it with the turn signal. Which is it?

Well, it's both. You either set the lane change options to do so on it's lonesome, autonomously, if you will, or to require you to confirm your approval by using the blinker when it requests changing lanes. If you don't trust the car to change lanes/pass a slower vehicle on its own you can choose the setting to require confirming lane changes. There are other settings to fine-tune lane change specifics and aggressiveness. You can always manually initiate a change of lanes by using the blinker.

Reactions: Mattopotamus
To be fair, while Windows OS’s are still OEM’d and tied to the box many licenses are subscription based these days.

Stock markets love subscriptions because they provide steady revenue. Consumers hate OEM licenses because they die with the box, or car in the case of Tesla. That said, OEM licenses are usually cheaper if you intend to keep the device that owns them long enough.

Licenses are licenses, regardless of if is a PC or a Tesla.

I purchased EAP today while at work. I used NoAP on the way home and was very happy with it. The lane change is great. Worth the money IMO.
Obviously you haven’t purchased software lately

If I buy EAP for 4K, then FSD for 5k, what happens if return the EAP at 4K? Can I keep FSD fit 5k?

Anyone try or do this?
I'm guessing Tesla already thought of that scenario. I'm betting if you try getting a refund for EAP, they'll automatically refund the 5k for FSD at the same time. BTW I think it's bullish*t that we're helping out their end-of-quarter numbers by purchasing EAP, and then they screw us if we want to upgrade from there.

Except I have been watching this thread how those who are in favor usually say "it works for me" and those who are opposed don't put the "for me" qualifier on - as if their opinion applies to all.

Not an absolute, but pretty significant separation in this thread.

Oy, we got some smart people here. They want a smart car but they try to be smarter than they think the AI will ever be.

That monthly car payment is NOT painless. But here's the deal: a few thou isn't making enough of a difference at this point. I'd be foolish - I think - not to be enjoying the best tech I can get for that money, for a few years to come. Sure, Elon's an optimist on schedules, better that than not reaching.

I love the Model 3's appearance, acceleration and road handling. A couple of seconds on the 0-60 rating, that I can hardly ever apply, isn't worth anything to me. Battery size is more important, but with Tesla's charging infrastructure I'm OK with the default 250 mile range. The feature that is most valuable for me is the evolving automation.

I can't understand buying a $50k car and skimping on the one thing that will grow and not degrade over the years.

Reactions: Triple D
The pricing model of FSD (and EAP) is just not appropriate for the functionality being offered. It's a non transferrable software license locked to a car, and in its current state, much of the features are in beta. Pretty much all other software licenses where incremental improvements are being made have switched to the subscription model (and so will Tesla soon). If the inherent value of FSD improves over time, the subscription price will grow with that. But selling software based on FOMO deals is just a short term strategy for financial reasons for Tesla, not because it makes any sense for the consumer.

Oy, we got some smart people here. They want a smart car but they try to be smarter than they think the AI will ever be.

That monthly car payment is NOT painless. But here's the deal: a few thou isn't making enough of a difference at this point. I'd be foolish - I think - not to be enjoying the best tech I can get for that money, for a few years to come. Sure, Elon's an optimist on schedules, better that than not reaching.

I love the Model 3's appearance, acceleration and road handling. A couple of seconds on the 0-60 rating, that I can hardly ever apply, isn't worth anything to me. Battery size is more important, but with Tesla's charging infrastructure I'm OK with the default 250 mile range. The feature that is most valuable for me is the evolving automation.

I can't understand buying a $50k car and skimping on the one thing that will grow and not degrade over the years.

Zooming out and looking at what Tesla has accomplished with FSD since I bought the car in early 2019 (closing in on two years) is the final nail in the coffin for me. In the meantime, I've received a ton of features with great value without paying for FSD - Sentry mode/dash cam (and viewer), Netflix/YouTube, games, many various new features such as text message integration, keep unlocked when at home, etc.

At the end of the day, there are items that I can spend $4k-$8k on that would me more joy. I enjoy geeking out over new tech, however the cost of EAP/FSD isn't nearly worth it to me. Subscriptions definitely have a chance to change that.

Reactions: valaeyron and vickh