Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear pain/Pressure help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, never really found out what I was , however tightening rear hatch and purchasing noise reduction kit, ( yes I thecones that don't work,) ha
Changed to could overs, change a lot of bushes now it seems to have gone. Still road, tire noise but better

.... Still road, tire noise but better
Pop your rear trim off, remove the subwoofer on the passenger side, lift up the grey foam wheel well insulation on both sides and put a layer or two of Butyl down under the OEM foam pad. Makes a BIG difference in road/tire noise.

Before doing this, noise was a key decision factor when picking tires. It's a much lower priority now.

CBBDD30A-15A6-45CD-802B-3EB103A966AC.jpeg

My lift gate started to make creaking/popping noises while opening and closing a few days ago. And, I noticed the glass wasn’t flush with the Top Glass.

After inspecting it further today, I discovered the lift gate glass has 4 rubber stops that (should?) align to the lift gate. It turns out the two middle ones aren’t even adhered which leads me to believe the glass isn’t sealed correctly, therefore likely causing vibrations and extra air flow.

I’m hoping the SC next week will replace this glass and alignment the lift gate better to finally resolve the ear pressure / pain.

I was a passenger in my friend’s 2022 MYP last night, no ear pressure. I noticed his lift gate glass was perfectly flush. Which is why I suspect mine is defective.

View attachment 861783
My lift gate started to make creaking/popping noises while opening and closing a few days ago. And, I noticed the glass wasn’t flush with the Top Glass.

After inspecting it further today, I discovered the lift gate glass has 4 rubber stops that (should?) align to the lift gate. It turns out the two middle ones aren’t even adhered which leads me to believe the glass isn’t sealed correctly, therefore likely causing vibrations and extra air flow.

I’m hoping the SC next week will replace this glass and alignment the lift gate better to finally resolve the ear pressure / pain.

I was a passenger in my friend’s 2022 MYP last night, no ear pressure. I noticed his lift gate glass was perfectly flush. Which is why I suspect mine is defective.
Wow that’s off by a lot. Keep us posted.

Reactions: EvilStryke
I just had my 4th test drive today and I noticed that there is some sort of "ear pressure, when you close all the windows"I would say is similar to when you would put your head under water. I did not hear it when I had the windows open, only closed! That type of pressure from your ears.. I am not sure but believe this is what the thread is speaking about. Very interesting b/c this was my 4th time test driving out a Model Y and the first three times I did not hear it. I guess it is a 50/50 shot depending on the actual car. If that is the case and this is a known issue with Tesla why don't they just fix it? Is it just realigning the trunk? I am now on the fence whether to take delivery next month of my Model Y and if I have this issue, I would highly annoyed and for the price of the car, this should not be. Without this issue, the car is amazing and I love the tech!! I am okay with the premium feel of the interior, the no cooling seats, the no radar detection, and a few other features they removed..

This question is for all who posted.

Now that you are aware of this boominess/ear pain would you still buy the Tesla if you had known of this issue ahead of time???
you might want to setup a poll type post so the responses can be visualized more easily. I’d also include an option such as “I have no issues with ear pressure/boominess” . Would be interesting to see that data point however many of those people might not subscribe to this thread.

you might want to setup a poll type post so the responses can be visualized more easily. I’d also include an option such as “I have no issues with ear pressure/boominess” . Would be interesting to see that data point however many of those people might not subscribe to this thread.
That is a great idea however, I do not know how to do that. lol Maybe someone else on here knows how?

Tesla quality control has a bad reputation for a reason. When I bought my Model Y, I knew there was probably going to be something I'd have to address. I just didn't know what. So I went in with that mindset. There are also advantages to buying a Tesla, like the supercharger network and not having to deal with a stealership. On the whole, I'm very happy with my decision. I could sit here all day and daydream about the perfect car/car company or I can live on my feet learning and doing with the remaining time given to me.

Reactions: JonB65
Tesla quality control has a bad reputation for a reason. When I bought my Model Y, I knew there was probably going to be something I'd have to address. I just didn't know what. So I went in with that mindset. There are also advantages to buying a Tesla, like the supercharger network and not having to deal with a stealership. On the whole, I'm very happy with my decision. I could sit here all day and daydream about the perfect car/car company or I can live on my feet learning and doing with the remaining time given to me.
I agree with you, there are aways some issues with any brand but this ear popping and roominess sounds like people are getting sick from it and some have already taken a financial loss and got rid of their Teslas. Others apparently have not noticed it..

So, never really found out what I was , however tightening rear hatch and purchasing noise reduction kit, ( yes I thecones that don't work,) ha
Changed to could overs, change a lot of bushes now it seems to have gone. Still road, tire noise but better
Wut?
View attachment 861821View attachment 861822
The glass is bowed out significantly more in the middle versus the sides.

View attachment 861823
Here is the rubber / foam pieces I was referring to. The side ones are in contact with the lift gate, the middle ones aren’t even touching.
Ooooh! This is interesting. Going to the garage for a looksee...

View attachment 861821View attachment 861822
The glass is bowed out significantly more in the middle versus the sides.

View attachment 861823
Here is the rubber / foam pieces I was referring to. The side ones are in contact with the lift gate, the middle ones aren’t even touching.

I have the same foam with misaligned blue tape. If this is what's vibrating, it would explain why the rigid hatch stops and vinyl tubing didn't work for me. Any reason I shouldn't pack this with backer rod or vinyl tubing? I couldn't really tell if the middle is bowed or not.

PXL_20221011_035213882.jpg

PXL_20221011_035206478.jpg

...and looks like they made serious hatch adjustments after painting.
PXL_20221011_035237714.jpg