Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eastern Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, actually I was born in Shanghai and immigrated from there yeas ago. I had been living in Shanghai during 2011 for a prolonged time. I tend to agree with you on your claims, but only to some extent. Yes, there is dirt cheap labor which are only paid a fraction of what here the contractors are getting. But in Shanghai, such things have become or are becoming a past. As a person who was born and had lived there for almost 30 years, I saw the booming of this city. It has about 20 million permanent residents and another several million migrating residents. Yes, 20 years ago, what you have said was true. Several years ago, partly true in Shanghai, now I really doubt so. The labor there is no longer cheap, they are well trained. The living standard there is longer substandard. My friends (actually, years ago, I) own or co-own construction companies and know the details. They bid for the government contracts, they need profit to survive. They have very skilled employees who are paid well.

One thing is true though, corruption. Another thing is also true, most construction companies who get such contracts are government owned. But here, as far as I know, majority of municipality construction contracts are also awarded because of "networking".

You can't justify the price difference just by private cooperation profits. You can't justify the speed difference because of the enormous "unskilled" labor.

Clean or not, they are moving way faster than us. corrupt or not, they build things. I'd rather see some corruption here and there than let skilled labor sit there and do nothing.

We just waste too much time and money fighting the red tapes.

I don't disagree with you (mostly) on the red tape over here. I think there is plenty of room for improvement. And yes there is some corruption - but I've been doing business in Canada for 25 years, and in my experience it's still relatively uncommon.

I'm happy that Shanghai is improving. It gives me a lot of hope for the future of the country.

My experience has been in more central China, in cities that are either undeveloped or newly developing. I was horrified at the way people live and the way things are done, and I found it really difficult to watch. I have personally watched the armies of old women with buckets moving concrete. And what I learned about how commercial transactions are done astounded me. Comparing the corruption over there to what happens in Canada is like comparing the Titanic to a rowboat. And I've not even touched on intellectual property theft or rule of law - both of which seem to be rather "discretionary"

Yes Canada is slow, but one of the results is that what happens usually makes economic sense. We don't have thousands of empty buildings that were put up because somebody knew somebody and got the funding from a government bank. The idiotic projects that we do have (like relocated gas plants and Mars) are inevitably caused by government incompetence, which further serves to reinforce the point that we do not want what they have in China - where the party essentially dictates what gets done and what does not.

Our system is slow and can certainly be improved - but I would never wish for what I experienced in China. I'd rather the red-tape any day. I really really hope that China country improves and perhaps your experience in Shanghai is a good sign for the future.

- - - Updated - - -

If sitter K was making a joke, I am not laughing. I was being sarcastic to make a point.
My point is: This is a site for the Tesla Supercharger in Eastern Canada, so lets concentrate on that and stop the racial (country & political- wise) bashing.

Fair point! Rant off.

yeah, rant off. Just being approved by my wife for purchasing a Model S, I am just really disappointed to see how slow the supercharger are expanding in Canada. I do hope we will have a trans-canada electric highway someday. A wishful thinking, go Tesla go.

I'm with you there!! I don't think approvals are the issue though. Tesla is spending the money in a slow and measured way.

Barry update. The crew is onsite right now, fiddling with the equipment.

WP_20150102_001.jpg

WP_20150102_002.jpg

I was browsing the Tesla Forum and noted that one of the members proposed that Tesla provide a Sticky for each SC, with specific information about reasons for delays and degree of progress. I love the idea, it would give us an opportunity to identify causes for delays and potentially apply pressure to push things along. I am sure Tesla owners are a resourceful bunch who could assist getting SCs up and running.

For you who compere SuC in Canada and China, until November last year it was sold 748 Tesla Model S under 2014 and 4149 in China according to EV Sales so it's not so strange that they are building many SuC in China

Good point. The sales in China are very impressive.

Note also that quite a few of the Supercharger installations in China are only two stall. They seem to be going for rapid geographical coverage.

- - - Updated - - -

Barry update. The crew is onsite right now, fiddling with the equipment.

Awesome, thank you for the update! I wish them luck with their fiddling.

Good point. The sales in China are very impressive.

Note also that quite a few of the Supercharger installations in China are only two stall. They seem to be going for rapid geographical coverage.

I would think that the cost difference between installing two stalls vs. installing four or even eight would be marginal. Not that each charger doesn't add to the total cost, but I'd guess that the "labor" of getting the permits, arranging/paying for the property, the cost of the transformer, and the labor to pour the cement, install all the equipment, and do the landscaping would make the difference between two stalls and four/six/eight stalls minor. Does anyone know the "typical" cost of a SC installation?

I would think that the cost difference between installing two stalls vs. installing four or even eight would be marginal. Not that each charger doesn't add to the total cost, but I'd guess that the "labor" of getting the permits, arranging/paying for the property, the cost of the transformer, and the labor to pour the cement, install all the equipment, and do the landscaping would make the difference between two stalls and four/six/eight stalls minor. Does anyone know the "typical" cost of a SC installation?

The magnificent Cottonwood made an estimate, I can't remember the details but basically: we all agree, there are a lot of overhead costs so there is not much savings in a two stall vs four or six or eight. I think the reason they would do a two stall is because it is possible to do in more places, without special arrangements for the power. Tesla seems to be going quickly in China by just looking for locations without worrying too much about making them big at first.

All of my comments in this regard include a fair bit of guesswork and "common sense", so I could be way off...

Tesla Tranmere Mississauga is moving, yes, but anyone who says he/she knows they're going to Oakville or Burlington and when should consider citing evidence. AFAIK the location hasn't been chosen, not as of today, anyhow.

I'll make this point relevant to this thread by hoping they add Superchargers wherever they go. Not that anyone in Tesla has mentioned them to me.

This is the same sort of install that they will use to connect Canada from coast to coast...eventually...

This would be more than adequate for large swaths of the country with low population/ownership density (ie: Saskatchewan). Even if they were all in use when you arrive, you could wait around for those people to finish and still charge up faster than the options currently available.

Tesla Tranmere Mississauga is moving, yes, but anyone who says he/she knows they're going to Oakville or Burlington and when should consider citing evidence. AFAIK the location hasn't been chosen, not as of today,

If you are referring to my comments, I never said the Service centre moving to Oakville/Burlington was a certainty. I heard from an employee it was a possibility. IMHO it would make a lot of sense.

How do you know the location has not been chosen? Evidence?

Absolutely! ...this is all we would need (in much of the country) for quite a few years...

This would be more than adequate for large swaths of the country with low population/ownership density (ie: Saskatchewan). Even if they were all in use when you arrive, you could wait around for those people to finish and still charge up faster than the options currently available.