Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric vehicle running costs per mile can vary considerably by make, model and options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This InsideEVs article, Electric Cars Compared By Price Per Mile Of EPA Range, has an interesting table that highlights, whilst EV mileage running costs may appear low, the choice of vehicle and options can contribute a noticeable difference in running costs when miles are driven.

Unfortunately rather US orientated (some figures include tax credits) in cost calculations and based on official and unofficial EPA range only. But its a good heads up that even with EVs, the cost of running different models and different options is far from being equal.

tl;dr - don't buy a Porsche Taycan.

Last edited:
while prices for electricity is relatively low, that skews quickly if you need to use rapid chargers, and by efficiency.

There is a mini-trend of relatively inefficient cars using fast charging to mitigate - ioniq 5, Audi etron, Taycan - they aren’t the most efficient cars, but have high, flat charge rates - ioniq 5 can sustain over 170kw past 50% and over 100 past 80. For long road trips that can be convenient as you don’t stop as long, but you have to stop more often. And obviously rapids are expensive.

edit: oh I see its the ‘range / price’ - I’m not a fan of that. If you’re buying a taycan you’re not buying it for value, and range doesn’t really matter as much as you can refill. I’d be more interested in average cost for longer trips - where shorter range vehicles would disproportionately need to rapid charge, making them more expensive for the same distance.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Tried to make sense of that article but I can't imagine any way that the information is useful. That's like comparing ICE cars by how big their fuel tank is. It's nothing to do with efficiency, just the overall quoted range. As if you bought the car with that amount of range in it, then threw it away.

while prices for electricity is relatively low, that skews quickly if you need to use rapid chargers, and by efficiency.

There is a mini-trend of relatively inefficient cars using fast charging to mitigate - ioniq 5, Audi etron, Taycan - they aren’t the most efficient cars, but have high, flat charge rates - ioniq 5 can sustain over 170kw past 50% and over 100 past 80. For long road trips that can be convenient as you don’t stop as long, but you have to stop more often. And obviously rapids are expensive.

edit: oh I see its the ‘range / price’ - I’m not a fan of that. If you’re buying a taycan you’re not buying it for value, and range doesn’t really matter as much as you can refill. I’d be more interested in average cost for longer trips - where shorter range vehicles would disproportionately need to rapid charge, making them more expensive for the same distance.

If someone can do most of their journeys without rapid charging, then average electricity price will be much lower. Model 3 Long-Range will require less charging than a 200 mile range car. I can do beach and back with 2/3 of charge, whereas others will have to rapid charge, with less network choice / reliability. Gradually I think the penny will drop, especially for high-mileage, fleet users.

In any case Teslas are more available in the UK than many other EVs, are selling well. The main reason some people don't buy Teslas are (IMO)

1. Form factor, saloon, low (Model Y will help)
  2. Some form of deep-seated anti-Tesla/Musk hate (FUD doing its job on the lazy or weak-minded)
  3. Wanting something different.
  4. Brand loyalty/perceived status/luxury
  5. Price (and many you have listed are same or more expensive)

Reactions: M3noob
Not all EVs are trying to appeal to the same customer wants. Not buying a Taycan because of cost per mile of range is like saying don't buy a 911 because it costs more than a Diesel Ford Focus.

It's a pretty naff statistic to divide vehicle cost by EPA range as if thats the only thing that mattered. That just panders to the range anxiety crowd thinking range is the most important stat which should be avoided.

To illustrate the point, if you want cheap range then you may as well buy this:

25 miles for £2100, thats £84/mile and cheaper than all of them.

That stats is useful for the taxman to determine the per mile tax that is coming in 2025 or sooner. It would steer the market towards cheaper and efficient EVs and tax the luxury and performance ones.

That stats is useful for the taxman to determine the per mile tax that is coming in 2025 or sooner. It would steer the market towards cheaper and efficient EVs and tax the luxury and performance ones.
How so? It's not just about efficiency, its a function of battery size too which is why the Model 3 LR is cheaper than the Standard car even through the standard car is more efficient.

tax would likely be literally per mile driven so irrelevant what range you have when full. Maybe I could see an argument for miles/weight as heavier cars put more wear on the roads, but probably not worth bothering with banding - just simple pay for how much you use the roads.