Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been on FSD beta since last October. Have put on over 30k miles since then, almost all on FSD and NOA. No strikes. I just drive normally. I can count on one hand the number of “pay attention” alerts I’ve had over the last year, and they go away almost immediately once i return my attention to the road.
Same in my car. I’ve been in the program since last September and I’ve never had a strike and maybe two pay attention notices. I’ve put 17k miles on the car in that time, the majority on AP/FSD.

I'd not bet on the "additional" part. My guess is that the initial 1000 car rollout will go to the same 1000 who got the previous version. That seems to have had near-zero general public, with a few "influencers" and a lot of company employees.
The only question is whether James Locke's repentance is sufficient or if it will be 999. :p

@sleepydoc you disagree? Are you telling me this didn’t happen to me?
No, just the implication that false strikes aren't an issue. My apologies if that's not what you meant.

Same in my car. I’ve been in the program since last September and I’ve never had a strike and maybe two pay attention notices. I’ve put 17k miles on the car in that time, the majority on AP/FSD.
and I get notices to pay attention when I'm looking straight ahead at the road.

Last edited:
He doesn't even say FSD or FSD Beta or FSD Beta (b) or whatever you guys are arguing over. He just says "self-driving" LOL what an egregious use of the term.
He didn’t say “with no supervision“.

In his defense not the first year he is promising this ….

BTW - his top 2 priorities for this year are
- FSD Beta wide release
- Starship test flight

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
He didn’t say “with no supervision“.
No, and I think for any reasonable interpretation of what wide release of FSD would be by end of the year, it would require supervision. This would still be fantastically difficult - while they could of course just release to everybody, that would likely nearly immediately end the program (assuming no significant further improvements after 10.69.2). Presumably this is why he calls the effort required “insane!”

In his defense not the first year he is promising this ….
Wait, how is this a defense?

In terms of self-driving, vs. FSD, it’s fine to just use his mostly contemporaneous Tweet on the topic, which used the term “FSD.”

Last edited:
Don’t you guys know? “Self-driving” is having the driver of the car (you, the human) drive yourselves - he didn’t say “autonomous driving” 🤣
that's what bugs me about him talking like that. He's using the generic term "self driving" not his own company product name. Even better he uses it in the same way as the press when they get harangued for calling FSD "self driving".
He's not doing himself any favors and can't have it both ways and expect it to be ignored.
In fairness, when does he ever do himself any favors :D

Last edited:
Reactions: momo3605 and DanCar
that's what bugs me about him talking like that. He's using the generic term "self driving" not his own company product name. Even better he uses it in the same way as the press when they get harangued for calling FSD "self driving".
He's not doing himself any favors and can't have it both ways and expect it to be ignored.
In fairness, when does he ever do himself any favors :D
when you speak in vague terms, it leaves you an "out" if pressed for details. It's intentional.
Dont underestimate the intelligence of the richest man on the planet.

Dont underestimate the intelligence of the richest man on the planet.
100%...I really don't understand the people who say "Oh...Elon's not actually lying. He's a hopeless optimist, he's not as smart as us to know FSD can't be accomplished by the end of the year (for the past 4 years). He just knows what the FSD team tell him and show him in limited demos of driving back and forth to his house"

Reactions: 2101Guy
What’s funny is everyone is arguing what Elon meant when he said self driving hopefully out at the end of the year when the truth is he meant nothing by it and everyone here knows it.
Even if "something" was out at the end of the year, nobody here can agree on what that actually is. He should be confined to a small room with a piece of paper and pen and forced to write down for once and for all just WHAT THEY ARE DOING. Vague timelines or even exact timelines don't mean anything if it's not explained what it is.

The fact there is any discussion at all shows that we don't know what Tesla is planning to do. Someone, please get Elon/Tesla to actually tell us what the goal is. The real goal, self-driving means nothing. Give us an exact detailed description of the ODD. If they don't know what they are doing, that's poor. If they do know and don't want to tell us, that's poor communication. Vague misleading statements, missed deadlines, etc, is also poor. Or exciting. I guess it depends if you go on proof or faith.

Reactions: momo3605
I think most people are pretty sure that Elon listens to progress reports with rose-colored hearing aids. Sometime later he tweets something like ”The next version is incredible! Release next week!” And the people actually working it groan and say “What? We said we’re hoping to have it ready for alpha testing next month!”

I won‘t try to excuse or justify Elon’s perpetually cryptic, overoptimistic and misleading tweets, but he‘s not alone in the tech entrepreneur world and anyone here who’s read more than a handful of his tweets and still takes them at face value is either a naive fool or just plain stupid. The corollary to that is anyone who makes a “but Elon said…” post is nothing more that a troll that should be ignored.

Reactions: vamike and Yelobird