Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except that the rollout has halted.

Tesla has halted firmware versions in the past; where they actually withdraw the pending installs and stop people from downloading it. The fact that there are still 253 vehicles pending on 2022.45.12, and those pending are still receiving the update, means it has not been halted. This is still well-within the realm of a normal staggered rollout.

Tesla has halted firmware versions in the past; where they actually withdraw the pending installs and stop people from downloading it. The fact that there are still 253 vehicles pending on 2022.45.12, and those pending are still receiving the update, means it has not been halted. This is still well-within the realm of a normal staggered rollout.
My man! This is why I like you! Great observation!

Reactions: willow_hiller
But what you just revealed is something that could make a real difference in FSD capability, depending on whether the data connection is available. It begs a few further questions (answers for which may be unknown now, but if you have any insight please comment):
  1. Is this drive time server download a new thing, or something that has been added recently? Is it applicable only to FSD beta, or has it been around for legacy NoA as well?
  2. What happens if the call to the Mothership server fails during the route planning or route execution? Is there a timeout, or does it keep trying as the drive proceeds along the route? Upon failure, does the information devolve to the in-car stored map database (with presumably coarser and/or very stale information), or does it remember data from the most recent drive on or near that route?
  3. Do you think this map details feature will be an integral enabler of things like parking lot mapping for Actual Smart Summon and presumably required robotaxi pickup/dropoff operation?
Finally, is it your sense that this discovered capability is indeed highly significant for the upcoming development of FSD, or am I extrapolating too far from what you explained? Thanks so much for whatever additional commentary you can provide.
this map server was added relatively long time ago, I just only recently looked into it. This is what provides alternate routes, parking lot outlines and so on. Features keep getting added. It's in use no matter if you are on the beta or not. The "suspension adjustments for rough roads" is also fed from here.
If the call to the server fails (as in there's no connection) you just get the "offline navigation" icon and none of this additional info. No alt-routes, not display of slowdowns on route on the actual route outline.
There is some route caching built in that's server controlled too (and on several levels, it also caches google maps stuff from your recent destinations an such).

This is definitely an important part of the whole package and allows them to minimize staledness of map data and get a lot of extra details relevant for this drive without overloadign the car with lots of (potentially very quickly spoiling) data too.

Think of it like waze. Once you drive soem with it, driving without it is unthinkable even if you are very familiar with the route and don't need the actual directions, all the other information it provides is still important.

Dream on. The last push was right about the time that Musk stated that there needed to be one more round of refinement. That's been about a day and a half ago, with no more vehicles added since then. So, this is looking a lot like the 11.3.2 rollout, that went to a bunch of cars, then halted until 11.3.3 came out. You'll notice that 11.3.2 halted, but there are still cars queued up to download it. So, these haven't been so bad to yank them back, but not good enough to continue adding more cars.

I expect 11.3.4 to be pushed out this weekend. We'll see if that one goes out to all.

I'd love to be proven wrong here. And all it would take is another push of 11.3.3 out to more cars - especially mine! But this smells like another halt. Maybe they'll fix some of the glaring issues like stopping halfway through a UPL, or not merging onto a highway until the lane runs out.

this map server was added relatively long time ago, I just only recently looked into it. This is what provides alternate routes, parking lot outlines and so on. Features keep getting added. It's in use no matter if you are on the beta or not. The "suspension adjustments for rough roads" is also fed from here.
If the call to the server fails (as in there's no connection) you just get the "offline navigation" icon and none of this additional info. No alt-routes, not display of slowdowns on route on the actual route outline.
There is some route caching built in that's server controlled too (and on several levels, it also caches google maps stuff from your recent destinations an such).

This is definitely an important part of the whole package and allows them to minimize staledness of map data and get a lot of extra details relevant for this drive without overloadign the car with lots of (potentially very quickly spoiling) data too.

Think of it like waze. Once you drive soem with it, driving without it is unthinkable even if you are very familiar with the route and don't need the actual directions, all the other information it provides is still important.
When I read your last post I first thought “that’s a lot of information for the server, what if it goes down, what would the car do, then?” But of course FSD is useless if it doesn’t have at least some rudimentary map data. My expectation and hope is that the algorithm would eventually be able to solve the ‘drive this route to point b’ problem using internal software and without excessive guidance from the mothership, essentially the same data it would get from Apple or Google maps Since that seems like it would be a more viable & sustainable long-term solution, but we’ll see. Either way, if it’s getting more than just simple routing data from the map server that could well explain differences.

Dream on. The last push was right about the time that Musk stated that there needed to be one more round of refinement. That's been about a day and a half ago, with no more vehicles added since then. So, this is looking a lot like the 11.3.2 rollout, that went to a bunch of cars, then halted until 11.3.3 came out. You'll notice that 11.3.2 halted, but there are still cars queued up to download it. So, these haven't been so bad to yank them back, but not good enough to continue adding more cars.

I expect 11.3.4 to be pushed out this weekend. We'll see if that one goes out to all.

I'd love to be proven wrong here. And all it would take is another push of 11.3.3 out to more cars - especially mine! But this smells like another halt. Maybe they'll fix some of the glaring issues like stopping halfway through a UPL, or not merging onto a highway until the lane runs out.
It is 11.3.3

It is 11.3.3
Stan,

Think about it: TeslaFi displays the number of "pending" downloads. How do they get this info? They only have data from the accounts of their subscribers. Therefore, each car's account knows if it has or has not yet been selected as eligible for the current update. Once it has been selected, it waits till it has WiFi, then waits for the server to download to it, and finally till the owner opts to install.

In the case of 11.3.3, the total of installed and pending has been 1,921 for a couple of days. Yours apparently was among the pending till you approved the install, and now is among the installed. Congrats.

It is not magic, and your eligabilty was determined a couple days ago. I suspect Tesla is randomly selecting VINs so that other factors, such as shilling, safety score, miles driver, etc, do not corrupt their measurement of the safety of FSD relative to average non-FSD driving and national averages, because accident prevention and fatality prevention is the stated goal of regulators and litigations.

As someone who I still waiting to get V11.x, I've been watching and thinking about how the process works, and am just sharing my observations and my proposed explanation of what I am observing... while I wait, not so patiently.... ;-)

SW

Reactions: jeremymc7
Can we now ”officially” say 11.3.3 rollout has stopped (except for those that have been pending download for two days)?😄 My two cars are ok with being in the deprived 2/3 of FSD testers. Better safe than crashed.

I understand people are very excited about V11, but is this the first time folks are actually paying attention to how firmware versions typically roll out? Take a look at 10.69.25.2, for e.g.

1680108626378.png

Something like a 1% rollout on day 1, 10% rollout on day 3, and then 100% rollout on day 8.

It's only been 4 full days since 11.3.3 started rolling out. I would give it at least a week since the last push of pending installs before giving up hope:

1680108742138.png

I haven’t. Ever.
Trigger warning: Not An Elon Tweet

I maintain I have never seen any change in behavior that doesn’t seem explainable by natural variation (another sign of natural variation is that it can get worse again of course). But, I live in a Tesla-heavy area that is not particularly complex, and that is where I use FSD. And FSD screws up at the same places (e.g. can’t figure out a double left turn entrance onto the 56W at Black Mountain when in outside lane and veers into inside lane) every time for a given release.

So maybe because it is so well traveled the data don’t receive significant changes so I don’t see any improvement.

Another possibility is that I just take over when I know FSD is not going to work or at the first hint of inadequacy or hesitation, so I may be masking out any improvements. And I wouldn’t be able to detect them even if the new behavior sort of handled those cases better, since I’d have nothing to compare to.

Or in other words the behavior remains so inadequate in these improvement cases I never even notice since FSD is not on.

Last edited:
Well map data around here sucks and it hasn’t changed at all for the good in the 2 years I’ve had my car. It routes me completely stupid ways every time and the lane data is incorrect for 25% of intersections which screws up FSDB. I want to believe that they are fixing it, but if it hasn’t improved in 2 years then I don’t really know what to say.