Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk says Tesla will raise prices and slow down store closures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is a good middle ground. Some stores remain, satisfying buyers who are used to that method of buying a car. Prices split the difference, with the SR Model 3 remaining the same. I thought the price drop was too much in the first place, so this is good.

Sure, it would have been better if they went this route in the first place instead of announcing that most stores were closing, but here we are.

Over the past two weeks we have been closely evaluating every single Tesla retail location, and we have decided to keep significantly more stores open than previously announced as we continue to evaluate them over the course of several months.

You know when a good time would have been to evaluate those retail locations? How about two weeks before the announcement of closing all of them?

I admit, I wasn't really a big fan of them closing all stores. From a personal standpoint (I like visiting my local store, especially if something new has come out, Model X, new S fascia, Model 3), but also from a business point of view.

But I also thought they had really weighed the pros and cons and decided the 6% price cuts would generate more demand, than keeping the stores. Despite them saying before, that they want more stores, since they increase demand.

But now it just seems they announced something and then started to think about the consequences. So why are they closing halve of the stores? Because it's the right decision? Because they actually need more stores, but they pushed themselves into a corner with the price decreases? Because they caved in under the pressure from outside?

And what's the plan for the future? Are there more stores coming in other places? Will they close more and more with time?

How will they even evaluate if a store works for them? Increase in demand? So they will close all CA stores, where demand is already high and won't increase much? Or by demand in the region, so they will close stores, where Teslas aren't popular? But then how are people going to know about Tesla at all, if there are few people that have them?

I would have understood closing all stores for online sales, because Tesla is an innovator and they try new things. I would have understood increasing the amount of stores, because Tesla is a growth company. Closing halve of the stores is typically something done to save an old dying company, that has seen it's customer base decline, or that hasn't caught up with modern sales strategies. Neither of that applies to Tesla, at all!

So, you were mad about price reductions and stores closing for limited test drives, now you’re mad you got your way and get to keep most stores, test drives and higher pricing as a result of less savings due to less store closures.

I know who the children in the room are.

I'm happy those people get to keep their jobs. Who cares about some current owner griping over a price difference?? I feel for those employees who get some
email from the CEO at 2am suggesting that they are fired. They go into work not knowing what is going on, the store manager has no idea what is going on. Now
the message is most, not all, stores will remain open... I'm sure those employees are going to work today still wondering if they are the lucky ones. This is ridiculous and erratic.

The online only model is the solution! Full speed ahead! We're all in!
Or maybe not.
:mad: :confused:

EM: Our highest priority this year is fixing slow crash repairs...
<inhale>
EM: Our highest priority this year is fixing service delays...
<inhale><munch><munch>
EM: Our highest priority this year is making a 35K Model 3
<snort><sneeze><inhale>
EM: (What, we need to close stores to make a 35K Model 3). Our highest priority this year is closing stores
<scratch><sniff>
EM: (What, discarding our employees isn't going down well in the twittersphere). Our highest priority this year is not closing stores
<falls over>
EM: Oh yeah, and the SEC can s..k my b..ls.

People have a habit of equating success with skill rather than luck.
Hubris does not equal skill. Luck runs out eventually.

EM: Our highest priority this year is fixing slow crash repairs...
<inhale>
EM: Our highest priority this year is fixing service delays...
<inhale><munch><munch>
EM: Our highest priority this year is making a 35K Model 3
<snort><sneeze><inhale>
EM: (What, we need to close stores to make a 35K Model 3). Our highest priority this year is closing stores
<scratch><sniff>
EM: (What, discarding our employees isn't going down well in the twittersphere). Our highest priority this year is not closing stores
<falls over>
EM: Oh yeah, and the SEC can s..k my b..ls.

People have a habit of equating success with skill rather than luck.
Hubris does not equal skill. Luck runs out eventually.

So true.

So, you were mad about price reductions and stores closing for limited test drives, now you’re mad you got your way and get to keep most stores, test drives and higher pricing as a result of less savings due to less store closures.

I know who the children in the room are.

Respectfully, unpredictibility is not good for increasing sales. Tesla has cultivated a “cool” image. The whiplash effect of closing stores and re-opening them, hits at that image. It’s becoming clearer by the day, that Elon needs to have a counter balancing resource in the company to help make better decisions. If he wants to achieve his stated goals he may have to look in the mirror and make some hard decisions. Lest you think otherwise - read my signature. I am a supporter, not a detractor of the company and Mr Musk.