Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk UK visit - potential factory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think he's here to persuade the gov to switch us to left hand drive. It's the only logical solution!

Good luck with that. Scotland will change straight away, NI will march and fight over what to do. England will promise to change by 2045 and then delay it and overrun on budget. Only Wales has the answer.. we drive down the middle 'cos it's only single track roads here..

Location of the market is less important than size of the market by location and whatever bribes incentives are about. The mutterings about free trade with Oz may factor too. Not only that but car components get sent from all over - I doubt Tresla make their own lights, brakes, steering, aircon etc (yet) so much may depend where those bits are sourced from.
Not that speculation makes a tad of difference to whatever will happen.
My theory is that Elon is launching a range of self-driving golf clubs. It's a beta version with self putting promised by the end of the year and a range of golf bags with 15" screens...
You would be suprised how much stuff Tesla make themselves. They have much more 'vertical integration' than other makers. It's one of their strengths /weakness dependant on who you ask.
They make their own seats for example. Something most others would never bother with.

Reactions: ringi
Interesting speculation on the nature of a recent UK visit by Elon Musk - I wonder if the Berlin delays are making him think again about locating some manufacturing capability in the UK? Would be a welcome boost to the economy and UK Tesla owners I imagine. See BBC News link
Beside a new car (?) or battery factory, it could be related to green energy to build another "Giga factory 2" to build solar panels and power walls
or even to start new projects to improve heating and air conditioning devices using Tesla heat pump experience and UK R&D and fundings.

You would be suprised how much stuff Tesla make themselves. They have much more 'vertical integration' than other makers. It's one of their strengths /weakness dependant on who you ask.
They make their own seats for example. Something most others would never bother with.
I am aware.. indeed they own their own car making robots factory too. But they don't make the seats - they assemble them from steel tube, stepper motors, synthetic fabric etc..
Nor (as far as I'm aware) do they make bearings, wire, steel or ally sheet, paint and most electronic components.. although they do make some of their own chips.. well sub the design out anyway. Then there are tyres, seals, lining materials, window laminating sheets... like all stuff 'made in XXX' its made in china and assembed in XXX...

Reactions: jbcarioca
I can’t see Berlin handling RHD when were the only country in Europe with RHD, and we’re not even in the EU.
Republic of Ireland may not agree with that analysis!

Why Shanghai or Freemont can make both LHD & RHD but people think Berlin wont confuses me. I would have thought tooling costs at Berlin would be far less than 3 weeks of shipping & logistic costs. Local manufacturing would also help Tesla meet local demand/supply needs better and assist with reducing inventory and green footprint as discussed.

Location of the market is less important than size of the market by location and whatever bribes incentives are about. The mutterings about free trade with Oz may factor too. Not only that but car components get sent from all over - I doubt Tresla make their own lights, brakes, steering, aircon etc (yet) so much may depend where those bits are sourced from.
Not that speculation makes a tad of difference to whatever will happen.
My theory is that Elon is launching a range of self-driving golf clubs. It's a beta version with self putting promised by the end of the year and a range of golf bags with 15" screens...

Well we've already got these:

There are many options for Tesla investment in UK other than the slightly improbable car factory. As a few have pointed out there is advanced design, engineering and materials resource in a number of university areas. Despite Brexit there is sound logic to use those technical resources. Battery storage is another plausible area. My personal suspicion is that the aerospace technology arena may end out being the target. There is a solid industrial base with advanced materials and manufacturing already in the UK. That could be pertinent from Space X and Tesla, specifically for Starlink as well.

I think there will be UK investment from the Musk enterprises. Announcements will probably come soon. With so many possibilities I would not even guess about what form that could take, at least not without a great deal more information.

Very soon we will begin hearing about green (at least less toxic) shipping efforts. There are a few vestigial efforts in Scandinavia mostly, but nothing for car carriers, roro or container ships has advanced far. Given Elon’s thought processes I will be amazed if that is not the next major play. While large shipbuilding is not now the UK forte, the design and technology is another story.

in my opinion the UK is far more likely to play these sorts of roles than it is to build cars. Brexit pretty well destroys chance for large scale manufacturing. Even Sunderland voted for self-destruction on that topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Yev000
Since assembled products - of any sort - have a lot of air/ wasted space it's a lot more efficient to ship raw materials/or event stacked parts.

Even a small car assembly line would make sense for UK. The market is certainly large enough.

But the entire thread is pure speculation... I'd be thrilled to see *any* manufacturing coming to UK, especially by Tesla. Maybe they plan to make wind turbines for Bojo... Who cares? It's jobs.

Maybe its not car related at all. Boris is desperate for a bridge or tunnel from from NI to Scotland. Elon seems like the kind of guy who would happily try to sell him one. Probably sell him the Brooklyn bridge and Tower Bridge at the same time.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.