Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article gives a good summary of Elon’s twitter rant today, along with a thoughtful piece about why Elon’s idea probably won’t work. Elon Musk blasts lying 'big media,' is labeled a 'Trump figure screaming irrationally about fake news'

Throwing employees, customers, investors, and now the media under the bus. This is a trajectory that will not end well for Elon. Maybe he thinks embracing Trump is now the (possibly only) way forward. Every man does have a price, I guess.

Throwing employees, customers, investors, and now the media under the bus. This is a trajectory that will not end well for Elon. Maybe he thinks embracing Trump is now the (possibly only) way forward. Every man does have a price, I guess.
Independent observers and statistics point to skewed reporting overall. In addition, articles purposely or ignorantly misrepresent facts related to Tesla along with creating non quote "quotes".

Tesla (TSLA) could rally as media negativity is ‘increasingly immaterial’, says Baird

Reactions: landis

Are you thinking the man is serious with the Pravda thing? I mean the idea is ridiculous on the face of it. Readers voting on the "core truth" of an article? This concept is absurd. Is core truth anything like Stephen Colbert's Cobert Report character's "truthiness" -- in other words: I-agree-with-it-so-it's-true? The name Pravda should be a giveaway that this is a big trolling session.

Elon seems to love the absurd and ridiculous. Monty Python, Douglas Adams, The Onion. Wasn't he starting a media company with former Onion staffers? Seems like a media company with a focus on rating the truth named after an official State Propaganda paper staffed with former Onion writers would be right up his alley. Haven't heard anything from "Thud!" (the name he earlier proposed for the media co), so maybe it's morphed into this.

Going a little deeper: Something like this ridiculous Pravda idea of having readers rate the truth of news has already been built. It is called social media. Likes and shares are the votes that determine whether an article gets wide readership and acceptance, not the accuracy or relevance of the writing itself. These companies (namely Facebook and Google) have been so successful at out-competing traditional media and news companies for ad revenue that news companies have had to morph into pay to publish type companies that more closely resemble PR firms than news orgs of old. And when you can pay for your opinion to become news, lots of bad things happen. Especially at a time when corporate profits are at record highs and few are investing that money in the traditional capitalistic sense of expanding or doing innovative R&D. They are buying influence with politicians, and running PR campaigns on the "news".

Oh look... Journalist writes snarky commentary about Elon Musks complaints about Snarky comments in the media!

PACIFIC • Elon Musk is humiliating himself

We all know Elon makes mistakes, but that’s all part of the package... I’ve noticed CNN and other mainstream media outlets aren’t so much malicious about Elon and Tesla but they are VERY lazy and write cliche and platitudes. A better article might be asking why Elon feels frustrated by Media articles

Last edited:
Bolt Drivers.... can't charge with em'.... can't make seething generalizations about Elon without em'

Are you thinking the man is serious with the Pravda thing? I mean the idea is ridiculous on the face of it. Readers voting on the "core truth" of an article? This concept is absurd. Is core truth anything like Stephen Colbert's Cobert Report character's "truthiness" -- in other words: I-agree-with-it-so-it's-true? The name Pravda should be a giveaway that this is a big trolling session.

He registered the name Pravda months ago. A guy that previously joked about, then actually did go ahead and sell "flamethrowers" on Twitter, says he's going to start a "media truth rating" company that he's already registered? Yes, I think he's completely serious.
On a related note:
Opinion | Elon Musk’s meltdown makes perfect sense

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I'm of the opinion that folks who think that Elon needs to take it down a few notches aren't looking at the big picture. That's honestly the last thing he needs to do.

This isn't a typical minor "standard company stock analysis" difference of opinion. Elon is literally attempting to save the world from what he sees as a significant danger to humanity.

The onslaught in both popular media and political arena have backing with agendas that have much more to do with protectionism and wanting to see the very idea of electric vehicles and solar generation die, than with mundane things like manufacturing bumps in the road.

So, Elon takes the tack of not legitimizing the argument by not playing the game.

-When the NYT & Broder did a hit piece on the Model S, they didn't issue a polite press release, they decimated them by calling them on the carpet and publishing irrefutable facts.

-When the press was ignoring the statistics for the rest of the car base, and dramatizing the pack/puncture/fire risk, they responded with facts and action.

-When Top Gear fudged the car test, they sued em (even if they lost, the stance they took has been consistent)

-When autopilot has been attributed in Josh Brown's death, they held their ground, reiterated their system warning, and released facts.

-When SpaceX was being potentially unfairly excluded from competition, he called the ULA cronyism out, and highlighted the irony of buying rocket engines from the Russians while Putin was being put under US sanction for invading the Ukraine.

He's not afraid to tell it like it is. I think it's great. I love their blog posts and Elon's responses that don't "play the game".

The sentiment behind the phrase "Polite (wo)men seldom make history" applies here. There is a much at stake.

While I appreciate the sentiment from @scaesare and can definitely see those points, I still find Elon's recent tweets depressing and off-putting. To me, they show a guy who has taken on more than nearly anyone should and is under incredible pressure. Lashing out aggressively at journalists doesn't sit well with me. Tweeting "Wow, you're ignorant.." isn't admirable behavior, whether I like the person and the mission or not. There are more effective ways to get a point across, and he's a smart enough guy to do that. He could politely refute any claims that aren't well-founded, and clear things up.

One problem is that Twitter's character limit sucks for real discussion. Even though some people thread tweets together with numbers, it's cumbersome. So it asks that you fit a lot of emotion or awe into one small blurb, and that's why much of Twitter is a toxic mess (in my opinion).

Finally, on the idea of a crowd-sourced journalism review - I find it an awful idea. Asking a general populace to rank and rate news is a recipe for disaster. Think about how much fake news was shared on Facebook. I mean the real and original definition of fake news - fabricated articles from news organizations that don't even exist. Most people aren't doing the research that professionals are doing. The ones who do, and who can speak definitively about the topic will be drowned out by the masses in some voting methodology. It sounds like a mess to me.

All of that said, Elon has proven me and others wrong before. I just think there's a high road to be taken, and some of Elon's recent tweets aren't on it. I'd have to move them to snippiness if I moderated him. :)

Tweeting "Wow, you're ignorant.." isn't admirable behavior, whether I like the person and the mission or not.

Dang it ohmman, if you are going to be critical, at least give the full tweet:
review.PNG

Elon could have said it nicer. But the full text of an article based on ITAR related information does require vetting before publication. If you work in Defense, anything you publish must be reviewed, even if it is non-work related.

Follow up (for completeness)
review2.PNG

Sometimes publicly know fact 1 and publicly known fact 2 become restricted when combined. Even if not ITAR, Elon has a duty to protect proprietary information. No way to ensure extra information is not in the final article without reading the final article.

Regardless: his game, his rules. No requirement to grant an interview. Complaining about conditions is baseless.

While I appreciate the sentiment from @scaesare and can definitely see those points, I still find Elon's recent tweets depressing and off-putting. To me, they show a guy who has taken on more than nearly anyone should and is under incredible pressure. Lashing out aggressively at journalists doesn't sit well with me. Tweeting "Wow, you're ignorant.." isn't admirable behavior, whether I like the person and the mission or not. There are more effective ways to get a point across, and he's a smart enough guy to do that. He could politely refute any claims that aren't well-founded, and clear things up.

One problem is that Twitter's character limit sucks for real discussion. Even though some people thread tweets together with numbers, it's cumbersome. So it asks that you fit a lot of emotion or awe into one small blurb, and that's why much of Twitter is a toxic mess (in my opinion).

Finally, on the idea of a crowd-sourced journalism review - I find it an awful idea. Asking a general populace to rank and rate news is a recipe for disaster. Think about how much fake news was shared on Facebook. I mean the real and original definition of fake news - fabricated articles from news organizations that don't even exist. Most people aren't doing the research that professionals are doing. The ones who do, and who can speak definitively about the topic will be drowned out by the masses in some voting methodology. It sounds like a mess to me.

All of that said, Elon has proven me and others wrong before. I just think there's a high road to be taken, and some of Elon's recent tweets aren't on it. I'd have to move them to snippiness if I moderated him. :)
So I don't do Twitter much. I follow a few folks, Elon included, but I only actually read it occasionally.

I just went and read tweets and replies for the last week, and see dome of what you are talking about. There does seem to be some degree of being fed up there. But then again, many of his more "pointed" tweets are responses at shots being taken at him.

To some degree I think he aims to flip the rock over and shine some light on the insects crawling underneath...

I didn’t take offense at the entire tweet. He didn’t need to start that way, and in my opinion, it reduces the impact of his retort.

I dig. But it takes the whole tweet to see that the person was 'lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular.' (definition of ignorant) and that Elon explained the basis of that observation.

Reactions: Krugerrand
New York Times
Opinion | Elon Musk, the Donald of Silicon Valley

He is prone to unhinged Twitter eruptions. He can’t handle criticism. He scolds the news media for its purported dishonesty and threatens to create a Soviet-like apparatus to keep tabs on it. He suckers people to fork over cash in exchange for promises he hasn’t kept. He’s a billionaire whose business flirts with bankruptcy. He’s sold himself as an establishment-crushing iconoclast when he’s really little more than an unusually accomplished B.S. artist. His legions of devotees are fanatics and, let’s face it, a bit stupid.

I speak of Tesla chief executive Elon Musk, the Donald Trump of Silicon Valley.

• Funny
Reactions: Matias and bro1999
New York Times
Opinion | Elon Musk, the Donald of Silicon Valley

He is prone to unhinged Twitter eruptions. He can’t handle criticism. He scolds the news media for its purported dishonesty and threatens to create a Soviet-like apparatus to keep tabs on it. He suckers people to fork over cash in exchange for promises he hasn’t kept. He’s a billionaire whose business flirts with bankruptcy. He’s sold himself as an establishment-crushing iconoclast when he’s really little more than an unusually accomplished B.S. artist. His legions of devotees are fanatics and, let’s face it, a bit stupid.

I speak of Tesla chief executive Elon Musk, the Donald Trump of Silicon Valley.
That piece would be hilarious, were it not so sad.

Reactions: EinSV
Is it worth noting? He’s also an anti-Trump guy. I think we can both agree that he’s a twit, and that the NYT isn’t helping its image by employing him.
Agreed, he’s a twit.

There was an outcry about his hiring. Not sure why he’s there, other than to say they have a neoconservative on board. This piece is pretty sloppy, though, even by his standards. I’m sure he’s tainted against Musk and Tesla because of his climate denier status. It shows a bit mid-piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.