Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon is making a rookie mistake and assuming a straight line from now. If you look at the population charts for various countries you will see all sorts of variations year to year in the number of people. Just because the birthrate is very low now doesn't mean it will be in 10 years.
I'm not interested in debating population dynamics in this thread, it's kind of off topic anyway. It's perfectly ok to disagree with Elon Musk on any of the topics he raised, I myself disagree with his fear of AI or his dismissal of fusion energy, space solar power, asteroid mining, etc. But it's completely insane to say just because you disagree with him, he must be getting his idea from alt-right, that's the entire point of my comment.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm not interested in debating population dynamics in this thread, it's kind of off topic anyway. It's perfectly ok to disagree with Elon Musk on any of the topics he raised, I myself disagree with his fear of AI or his dismissal of fusion energy, space solar power, asteroid mining, etc. But it's completely insane to say just because you disagree with him, he must be getting his idea from alt-right, that's the entire point of my comment.

He seems to be echoing the alt-right to some degree lately, but I think he got a lot of his ideas from the Science Fiction he was reading as a teen. I read a lot of the same authors around the same age. I came to different conclusions than Elon as I grew in age and experience of the world.

He seems to be echoing the alt-right to some degree lately, but I think he got a lot of his ideas from the Science Fiction he was reading as a teen. I read a lot of the same authors around the same age. I came to different conclusions than Elon as I grew in age and experience of the world.
Many of his friends lean alt-right, some while claiming to be "centrists" like Musk. Someone put together older clips of Joe Rogan being very progressive left leaning in the past compared to today. He's another one that claims he's "remained the same" while clearly moving right. Elon's close friend Peter Thiel has long been far right.

IMF Agrees
Neglect Africa now and we will face labour shortages globally, IMF warns

The international community would be “playing with fire” if it failed to help Africa recover from Covid and the impact of the Ukraine war, the International Monetary Fund’s director for the continent has said. Failure to invest and support the continent was shortsighted and detrimental to the global economy, as half of the new entrants into the global workforce over the next decade would come from sub-Saharan Africa, Abebe Aemro Selassie, director of the IMF’s Africa department, told the Guardian. “In 10 years, one out of every two individuals entering into the global labour force will come from sub-Saharan Africa – the very children whose education the pandemic has disrupted,” he said. “The human capital we need to motor the global economy is not getting the attention it needs. It’s a massive collective failure,” he added. “Almost certainly – unless we think robots are going to take care of everything – there is going to be a shortage of labour in most advanced economies, and even elsewhere.

IMF Agrees
Neglect Africa now and we will face labour shortages globally, IMF warns

The international community would be “playing with fire” if it failed to help Africa recover from Covid and the impact of the Ukraine war, the International Monetary Fund’s director for the continent has said. Failure to invest and support the continent was shortsighted and detrimental to the global economy, as half of the new entrants into the global workforce over the next decade would come from sub-Saharan Africa, Abebe Aemro Selassie, director of the IMF’s Africa department, told the Guardian. “In 10 years, one out of every two individuals entering into the global labour force will come from sub-Saharan Africa – the very children whose education the pandemic has disrupted,” he said. “The human capital we need to motor the global economy is not getting the attention it needs. It’s a massive collective failure,” he added. “Almost certainly – unless we think robots are going to take care of everything – there is going to be a shortage of labour in most advanced economies, and even elsewhere.

The US is re-industrializing now and doing so with as much automation as possible.

I don't know how much Africa can recover under the thumb of China's Belt and Road initiative. China has basically turned much of Africa into resource colonies to feed their own industry.

The US is re-industrializing now and doing so with as much automation as possible.

I don't know how much Africa can recover under the thumb of China's Belt and Road initiative. China has basically turned much of Africa into resource colonies to feed their own industry.
Western powers have been doing that for centuries.
I guess it's China's turn.
Colonialism keeps Africa poor.
Perhaps at some point the world will need Africa's people, not just raw materials.

Reactions: 30seconds
I have known several people that were xpat Boer pre-apartheid South African. In my experience, there has been a consistent "hard right" theme to the point that it clouds the judgement of even the most logical people (as I say in passing my judgement so take that with a grain of salt). It is a bit like some Cuban immigrants I have talked with who were "invited" to leave their country. Both have been Trump supporters more often than not and you would think their background would have them thinking otherwise but you would be wrong.

I'm a caninetrovert. I do not pretend to understand people and have stopped really trying. It is all a bit of a mystery to me.

1657166434110.png

My girls agree with you.

I'm not aware that alt-right is genuinely worried about population collapse in China or Japan. Advocating for bigger population has nothing to do with right or left, or are you telling me Matthew Yglesias is alt-right too?

And I too have read plenty of SF, then and now, Yglesias is correct in that there're way more SF with overpopulation theme than population collapse theme (the natural kind we're having, plenty of SF about humanity getting wiped out by disaster etc, that doesn't count obviously). This is especially true in the 60s and 70s, probably thanks to Club of Rome.

If you guys can take off your anti-Musk woke glasses, it should be fairly easy to see why he's somewhat obsessed with population, and it has nothing to do with politics.

Reactions: Sandor
I'm not aware that alt-right is genuinely worried about population collapse in China or Japan. Advocating for bigger population has nothing to do with right or left, or are you telling me Matthew Yglesias is alt-right too?

And I too have read plenty of SF, then and now, Yglesias is correct in that there're way more SF with overpopulation theme than population collapse theme (the natural kind we're having, plenty of SF about humanity getting wiped out by disaster etc, that doesn't count obviously). This is especially true in the 60s and 70s, probably thanks to Club of Rome.

If you guys can take off your anti-Musk woke glasses, it should be fairly easy to see why he's somewhat obsessed with population, and it has nothing to do with politics.
For sure, now let’s all start banging co-workers and having twins to help the population….. just tell your SO that you just want to help Elon…

I'm not sure you understood what I was saying, and maybe I wasn't completely clear myself. Overpopulation is not really much of an alt-right topic, though some who are in the white supremacist camp are concerned about brown people breeding at higher rates than white people. Though I don't see that as Elon's reason he wants lots of children. As I said the other day he seems to subscribe to the notion that some Mensans have (all men I'm aware of) that smart people should be having as many children as possible.

Elon has not demonstrated that he is particularly racist. He left South Africa in part because of Apartheid and has expressed disgust with his father's racist attitudes.

Elon seems to be both obsessed with population and some political ideas that are circulating in American right wing politics right now. The two are not necessarily connected. They are just simultaneously being touted by the same person.

I don't think my attitudes and thoughts are particularly "woke". In other places I've been attacked by the far left for being too conservative for their tastes. I seem to take flak from both flanks on a fairly regular basis.

I don't think anyone equated his population concerns with politics, that seems to be your projection, but I disagree that it's "easy" to understand his obsession with population since it's not based in reality. World population is not collapsing, it's not even dropping, and if it did it's not automatically bad and would likely benefit our environment and thus humanity as a whole.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sandor
Elon seems to be both obsessed with population and some political ideas that are circulating in American right wing politics right now. The two are not necessarily connected. They are just simultaneously being touted by the same person.
The person I was replying to claims that: "This whole “population collapse“ when the birth rate is > 2 is such BS - I’m beginning to wonder whether he is adopting one more alt-right idea of “white genocide“.", and I have seen this absurd notion from prominent personality on twitter, this is what I was arguing against.

Status
Not open for further replies.