Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this discussion here, TMC seems like a place with smart rational forward thinking people.

Just recently I read this article
Technology and jobs: Coming to an office near you | The Economist
which gave me a lot to think about.

Given all the automatization we will end up sooner or later in a "Leisure Society" where only 20% of the workforce is needed to supply everything to the whole population.
The article states a 20 year timeframe.

So given that scenario my thinking was that a Leisure Society would change our values as a society fundamentally again.
One of those values is Family vs. Career. I think its important to point out that its not just a random coincidence that high education, high income, and not religious affiliation leads to a very low fertility rate.

In a society where the goal to make a Career is not relevant people can focus on family life, and not only for the fact that they have time for that but also for the fact that they have certainty that they will have no trouble to provide a good life for their family and kids.

Thats my theory and I hope for the sake of humanity Im pointing in the right direction.

What really troubles my mind is not the decline of population itself, but the fact that low education, poverty and high religious affiliation leads to the highest fertility rate.
That can lead to a very dystopian society.

I recommend everyone this comedy movie. It extrapolates my last point in funny manner.
Idiocarcy
Idiocracy (2006) - IMDb

Agree. ..Idiocracy has a lot of plausibility I am afraid.

Back to the top:
With the exception of some Muslim and African countries, fertility rates are dropping all over the world.

Ah, but Rob: for the love of pete why would you exclude that fraction? Do you think they don't count? Let's see:

* There are over 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide. That is, very close to the world's entire population all the way back in ....... 1950.

* There are over 1 billion Africans.

* The overlap - about 400mm African Muslims. So the two groups together come to about 2.1 billion HIGH fertility populations.

Those data shatter your other arguments.

Last edited:
4AdvXeu.jpg

Back to the top:

Ah, but Rob: for the love of pete why would you exclude that fraction? Do you think they don't count? Let's see:

* There are over 1.5 billion Muslims worldwide. That is, very close to the world's entire population all the way back in ....... 1950.

* There are over 1 billion Africans.

* The overlap - about 400mm African Muslims. So the two groups together come to about 2.1 billion HIGH fertility populations.

Those data shatter your other arguments.

However, there are signs that extreme poverty is decreasing, and that population growth is slowing down. The Internet and mobile communications are playing a large part in that as together they radically improve information flow and reduce the need for expensive infrastructure to help economic growth.

We should sell t shirts or bumper stickers with WWEMD (what would elon musk do)

Does it really need the "Musk"?

(Hmm, that makes me wonder how many people out there have:
(a) named their child after Elon Musk
(b) tried to name their child after Elon Musk but been vetoed by their partner
(c) given their child a middle name after Elon musk as a compromise
(d) suggested Elon as a name to friends, family, acquaintances and strangers
?)

I'm used to Elon's sort of hesitant or self conscious awkwardness speech patterns. This was quite different. He spoke without the hesitation, but very obviously had the out of breath problem that comes with pure nervousness (which diminished as he warmed up). Which in some ways was very moving. He obviously cares so deeply not just about SpaceX, but space advancement as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.