Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
His response was not the best.

This is the most amazingly euphemistic description of what is probably his worst (certainly his most ugly) act of public misbehavior. He literally informed 20 million people that a man who criticized him in vulgar terms in public . . . was a pedophile . . . because he was mad about the criticism. Then repeated the charge when challenged. And that act is characterized as "not the best," as though we're talking about Musk being curt and dismissive to a Starbucks barista who goofed up his order one day.

Wow, I wish I could run up and down the streets with a megaphone declaring that the guy who was just rude to me in the elevator was a pedophile, and email the same to everyone I know, and post it online, and have the people who care about me respond with a shrug and say "Okay, not Johno's best day, I'll grant you that."

This is the most amazingly euphemistic description of what is probably his worst (certainly his most ugly) act of public misbehavior. He literally informed 20 million people that a man who criticized him in vulgar terms in public . . . was a pedophile . . . because he was mad about the criticism. Then repeated the charge when challenged. And that act is characterized as "not the best," as though we're talking about Musk being curt and dismissive to a Starbucks barista who goofed up his order one day.

Wow, I wish I could run up and down the streets with a megaphone declaring that the guy who was just rude to me in the elevator was a pedophile, and email the same to everyone I know, and post it online, and have the people who care about me respond with a shrug and say "Okay, not Johno's best day, I'll grant you that."

Pardon me for acknowledging the inappropriateness of Elon's tweet in insufficient (for you) terms. Do you realize that sentence was not germane to, nor even needed for, my response to Economite?

Mad about criticism? He told Elon and his team to shove it where it hurts and challenged him and his spacex engineers that their plan would not work. These are the same guys that land rockets from space on tiny drone ships. Was incredibly insulting and Elon's response was justified. In fact, I would have said far worse.

This whole spat is really unfortunate. Musk's "pedo" comment is clearly unacceptable and is likely going to result in unnecessary and potentially costly distractions for him, Tesla, rest of his companies, and I believe indirectly us Tesla owners too. Issuing a sincere and unconditional apology is the least that Musk should do ASAP.

I'm also quite befuddled on Unsworth's initial comments that I think were, quite frankly, below the belt. Totally uncalled for IMO. If you want to say that you don't think the kid submarine would've worked, just say so. It was really unfortunate that he added a comment that I think amounted to a personal attack with the "stick it" reference. The question is why did Unsworth have such a visceral reaction when asked to comment on Musk?

My theory is that he wasn't happy with Musk's level of "involvement" in the whole rescue process (Musk's tweets throughout that whole rescue period and showing up in person in the cave) when he might've thought that he and everyone else at the location already had things under control. What's tragic here is that Musk himself didn't ask to be involved, but rather was asked on Twitter to consider ways he could help when the rescue team hadn't finalized their rescue plan yet. I believe that he's a genuine problem-solver who feels challenged when a tough problem like this comes up, and why he and his SpaceX team ultimately came up with the kid submarine solution based on feedback from one of the lead divers (Rick Stanton, who I think likely considered this as a back-up solution). Stanton and Unsworth were there and surely communicating, and if Unsworth didn't believe they needed a back-up solution or that he thought the submarine one wouldn't have worked, I wonder if he verbalized this and if it was communicated back to Musk. All of that aside, it seems to me that Musk and his SpaceX team really worked their asses off to make their idea a reality in the space of a few days out of their genuine desire to wanting to help in some way. And I think this is where and why Musk took such an umbrage when their solution was criticized later on. As to whether he needed to have showed up in person in the cave, probably not but it seems like he was planning travel to the region anyway (with the announced Tesla China agreement just the next day). I feel like this particular aspect shouldn't have been made such a big deal as it appears to be.

Lastly, Musk appears to have a rather thin skin, which is not a good combination when he speaks his mind so freely and does so in such a public forum as Twitter. One of those has got to give: either he's got to have way thicker skin, watches what he speaks more, or reduces his activities on Twitter.

Unsworth is not the first one Musk criticized for blocking his path to hero-dom. Here is the other person who told Musk the sub wasn't practical. If you searched "Thai cave rescue" few days back, you would've seen that > 50% top results were about how Elon designed a sub for this in days. (He still whines about media setting a war against him. ) If it really has no chance of working, and he still grabs the headlines while people are working everyday risking their lives to save the kids, they would naturally be quite angry and frustrated. I still wonder, how many days it would take to rescue 13 people in one kid-size sub, even if it did work.

Elon Musk calls British diver in Thai cave rescue 'pedo' in baseless attack
Guardian said:
The billionaire attracted controversy for his approach to the Thai rescue after Narongsak Osatanakorn, head of the joint command center, said the mini-submarine would not have been practical.

Musk responded by saying Osatanakorn was “not the subject matter expert” and that he had been “inaccurately described as rescue chief” and should have been labeled the “former Thai provincial governor”. Osatanakorn stepped down as Chiang Rai governor during the rescue, but was still acting as commander.

That's quite funny, because if I'm right, Elon never visited that cave before this trip. It's hard to become an expert just watching videos and listening to descriptions from others. Did anyone see Elon's tweets on his claim that the kids could have just walked out of the cave without any of the diving gears?

Last edited:
Reactions: MauryDann
Yes, and for me, as bad as his response was, it's equally disturbing how easily he can be baited.

I'm no shrink, but that's never stopped me from playing one here. My diagnosis is he needs to get a grip on a dark hole inside of him that makes him yearn for positive attention -- and to be the centre of attention. It's probably some childhood issue but I need him on the couch to get at it.

Also, just my view, but people need to calm down about Elon cults, not buying a Tesla over this, fanboys, etc. This is an internet forum and speculation, assumptions, etc. are what we do best.

I don't know about that. Settlements in private don't always go as planned. Plus, a lawsuit would open Vern up to discoveries or depositions regarding his sex life. You don't need to be what he was accused of to not to want to go through that. So Elon's team may just be sitting on the sidelines to see if Vern sues rather than reaching out, or replying to, demands for some kind of settlement. It might take a legal action first to bring Elon to the table, and Elon may be betting that won't happen.

I’ll put my shrink cap on then too. I don’t believe Elon needs positive reinforcement. I just think he is tired of the constant negative at every turn and therefore is starting to lash out. He probably feels TSLA shorts are continuing to spread an unreasonable amount of FUD even after milestones are made and the media is supporting this too much. CNBC having Chanos on tv quite often is one example.

If I worked my butt off as hard as he is and people constantly attacked me with everything I do, I’d be pretty darn touchy over time as well.

Almost all of the people on here who are extremely upset at Elon would lash out in a heartbeat after just one person attacked them. Imagine millions.

But Elon needs to somehow figure out a way to tune those creeps out. Otherwise he will be consumed by it.

You touch upon something that I’ve been thinking about before.
None of the Musk household ever went into any details on why all members distanced themselves from Musk Sr.
There must be some reason for Elon to use that specific expletive when feeling harassed and belittled.
There are some not so nice details here. It is public info.
Biologically, is it expected that Elon inherited some of his father's genes of the dark side?
SpaceXXX: Elon Musk’s Dad has Baby with His Step-Daughter

TESLA tycoon Elon Musk’s dad has claimed fathering a baby with his own step-daughter was a “one-off mistake” when he was her shoulder to cry on.

Errol, 72, from Cape Town, South Africa, was accused of “splitting the family” after it was revealed his sixth child, Elliot Rush, was conceived “in the heat of the moment”.
Elon, 46, has spoken candidly in the past about his estrangement from his father. “He was such a terrible human being. You have no idea,” the billionaire entrepreneur told Rolling Stone in November. “My dad will have a carefully thought-out plan of evil. He will plan evil. … Almost every crime you can possibly think of, he has done. Almost every evil thing you could possibly think of, he has done.”

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
Unsworth is not the first one Musk criticized for blocking his path to hero-dom. Here is the other person who told Musk the sub wasn't practical.

Yep, I'm aware of Musk's retort to the former governor. I had no issue with that whole exchange. Both guys simply stating their opinions and I think stayed above the fray. I don't know Musk nor the whole situation enough to be able to claim that Musk pushed back against all his critics here because he was pissed that he was denied his hero-dom. But I personally found that hard to be true considering that a) he didn't ask to be involved in the first place, b) he repeatedly sung the praises of the rescue team, and c) he wished them the best and agreed with their plan when it was announced (and later congratulated them as well).

Reactions: mongo
Yep, I'm aware of Musk's retort to the former governor. I had no issue with that whole exchange. Both guys simply stating their opinions and I think stayed above the fray.
Um,, not quite. Here is what Elon said (see link in my post). I think this is little more than expressing opinion. Even if Osatanakom wasn't the expert, it is understood he was conveying the combined opinion of the team of experts he was commanding. Had Osatanakorn fired back saying "Elon never designed any sub before and has never seen the conditions in the cave. He can't be taken seriously", then I think that will be more even. But he just politely refused the unsolicited help. Not that one sub would have solved anything.
It's not for nothing that the exchange already stirred a controversy. But I understand you view it differently and find that fully acceptable.

In response, Musk said Osatanakorn was “not the subject matter expert”, adding that he believed he had been “inaccurately described as rescue chief”, and should be more accurately referred to as the “former Thai provincial governor”.
Osatanakorn stepped down as the governor of Chiang Rai during the rescue operation, but remained its commander.

I don't know Musk nor the whole situation enough to be able to claim that Musk pushed back against all his critics here because he was pissed that he was denied his hero-dom. But I personally found that hard to be true considering that a) he didn't ask to be involved in the first place, b) he repeatedly sung the praises of the rescue team, and c) he wished them the best and agreed with their plan when it was announced (and later congratulated them as well).
Um,, no. For (a), who exactly asked for Elon's help? It was a random person on twitter, not anyone working on the rescue effort.
For (b) and (c), see this tweet below. Elon thinks the people running the pumps and generators did more than the divers who risked lives (recall, one ex navy seal died) in the mission. Also implies it was a fake rescue, when multiple divers and personnel were involved in the rescue. With this tweet, he not only insulted the "dude" who insulted him, he ridiculed the whole rescue effort and the team that worked on this mission.

I'm sorry, but your statements don't line up with these. You probably need to check more on this subject.

mt.JPG

Last edited:
So no one else has EVER said anything or perhaps THOUGHT anything to the level of inappropriateness that Musk demonstrated?

People who do actual bad things are villifed less than people who say bad things.

The virtue signaling and hypocrisy is ridiculous.

Musk pedo comment is probably the worst thing he’s said recently in public but 1/10000 in tameness for actual dirtbag things famous people are lambasted on.

So no one else has EVER said anything or perhaps THOUGHT anything to the level of inappropriateness that Musk demonstrated?

People who do actual bad things are villifed less than people who say bad things.

The virtue signaling and hypocrisy is ridiculous.

The hypocrisy is mindblowing. All the snowflakes with their delicate ears. I think they have Trump impotence syndrome. Completely flaccid and useless against Trump, perform cannibalism to compensate.

I'm sorry, but your statements don't line up with these. You probably need to check more on this subject.

I've seen all of Musk's tweets since he was first asked to help (and yes, he was initially asked by a Twitter user who I think is a Thai and not formally associated with the rescue process. Never said otherwise. I just said Musk didn't ask to be involved, but rather was asked first and later appears to be connected directly to at least Rick Stanton). If you just fully look them up, you'll hopefully see that everything that I said is accurate. I do think that his tweet about being able to swim to Cave 5 over-indexed too much on the contributions of the pump and generator team and showed an ignorance on the level of challenges that the rest of the rescuers faced.

The gist of my previous reply (to your reply to my post) was to challenge your claim that the reason why Musk pushed back against his critics here was because he was denied his hero-dom. He was extremely insensitive, callous, a bully, and frankly can be called many other awful things with his remarks on Unsworth, but I think he pushed back because he felt the negative remarks against his and his team's efforts were uncalled for (again, this doesn't excuse his responses to Unsworth being completely unacceptable). But I just haven't seen any factual evidence it was because he was pissed he didn't become a hero here. If you want to speculate that that's the case, by all means go have at it, but I think you'd be wrong.

Reactions: mongo

Said by someone who was not the target of the comment, and who seems unable to put himself in the position of the target and think how his family and friends now look at him -- because is what Elon said, who is a genius, true? That cloud will never leave him but for you, we don't want accountability which a civil society does by showing proper outrage -- until it happens to you -- I bet.

This is also about the target (and I won't use "victim" but some will and perhaps appropriately so) - it's not only about Musk. You can say Vern had it coming but I would disagree and say it shows someone who responds to a low blow by going about as low as you can go.

Said by someone who was not the target of the comment, and who seems unable to put himself in the position of the target and think how his family and friends now look at him -- because is what Elon said, who is a genius, true? That cloud will never leave him but for you, we don't want accountability which a civil society does by showing proper outrage -- until it happens to you -- I bet.

This is also about the target (and I won't use "victim" but some will and perhaps appropriately so) - it's not only about Musk. You can say Vern had it coming but I would disagree and say it shows someone who responds to a low blow by going about as low as you can go.

Insults hurt when they are close to home. Musk calling me a pedo would get me a ribbing and five minutes of fame because no one knows to take statements like that seriously.

Everyone knows extreme geniuses usually exhibit hubris or have shortfalls in other areas. Musk is sophomoric but that’s who he is. He’s also an emotional person who wears his heart on his sleeve and his mouth engages before his brain. For sure that twitter exchange is inexplicable but life goes on. Even for Vern. 15 mins of fame extended.

You take the good with the bad, and this is dumb to make a deal out of.

Vern was a bigger jerk who had no reason to say what he did.

Say something nice or not say anything at all rang true here. He could have just thanked Musk for trying and leave it at that. If he had any EQ whatsoever he could have even work with musks resources on something in the future.

It’s easy to tell who has some perceived axe to grind with Musk based on the over response to something inconsequential in the scheme of things.

Last edited:
Insults hurt when they are close to home. Musk calling me a pedo would get me a ribbing and five minutes of fame because no one knows to take statements like that seriously.

You really should only speak for yourself. You don't know what others take seriously or not.

When I look at Vern (and the first time I saw him was after Elon made his comment) -- I can't help myself but see in him what Elon Musk described him as. So then I wonder if it's true. He is in Thailand -- but an elderly white man in Thailand makes him a ...? That's absurd. Then again...

That's what goes through my mind, and I'm sure a lot of people minds. You can tell us it would give you 5 minutes of fame, a "ribbing", and then roll of your back since no one would take it seriously -- but if it happened to you, you'd feel worse than if a truck ran over you. A lot worse. You wouldn't even know what hit you. Trust me on that one. I know you won't admit it here -- but I write for others who read my posts since we must not allow a pass for this as you are telling us. I couldn't disagree more with that point of view.

At the same time, I can't stand most of the fake outrage we hear about these days -- I'm will Bill Maher on that -- but this is not one of those times, at least in my view.

And this is coming from a huge Musk supporter -- but I have my limits.

Last edited:
Reactions: MauryDann
Status
Not open for further replies.