Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I lol'd when I saw this: Video: Elons Elon? All About Musk, Tesla, SpaceX and Everything

Thought you guys would enjoy... site is actually pretty informative too.

Screen-shot-2014-11-17-at-12.16.28-PM.png

See The Space Review: Boldly inspiring no more
This article about how Star Trek has influenced people and culture has a paragraph about Elon:

"Probably the most obvious future real-world influence is likely to be Elon Musk. Musk is a unique combination of visionary, businessman, and spokesman who has become an icon himself, showing up in movies like Iron Man 2 and episodes of South Park. His most visible endeavors, SpaceX and Tesla, have garnered publicity far beyond their actual market impact. He has not quite reached Bill Gates or Steve Jobs stature yet, but he is quickly becoming one of the most recognizable names in high technology business. Undoubtedly there are countless young engineers and inventors who look at Musk and want to be like him and do things like he is doing. Admittedly, Musk also has a darker side and has been warning about the dangers of computer artificial intelligence, which he thinks is going to kill us all. If that’s true, then even escaping to Mars is unlikely to save humanity."

My opinion is that Musk has already eclipsed Gates and Jobs in terms of his impact on society.

My opinion is that Musk has already eclipsed Gates and Jobs in terms of his impact on society.

Respectfully disagree. We Tesla fans live in a bit of a bubble and overestimate Musk's impact, atleast to this point.

Gates with the PC revolution and Jobs with the mobile iDevice revolution impacted many more millions, nay, billions of people.

One day, when all auto manufacturers are compelled - largely due to Musk's push with Tesla - to go all- (or mostly-) electric across their entire fleets, I'd acknowledge Musk's greater impact. SpaceX has a long way to go before the innovative efforts there touch the common man.

More Musk stalking. I blame you guys.

Via my new favorite Musk-information feed site, I found this lengthy story on the history of Tesla - starting long before Musk in the '90s with a car built by AC Propulsion (tzero). Some interesting emails from Musk early on, too, in a not-too-flattering way. Here's the story on Business Insider: Tesla: The Origin Story - Business Insider

The heads-up I got was from Wheres Elon? All About Musk, Tesla, SpaceX and Everything | Everything Elon Musk, Tesla, SpaceX, GigaFactories and PayPal. Forgive me if this is old news to you folks, but it's a really interesting story, I thought.

Gates with the PC revolution and Jobs with the mobile iDevice revolution impacted many more millions, nay, billions of people.
Gates doesn't win many industry/direction "impact" points in my eyes. The PC revolution was a foregone conclusion. The only question was which OS was going to win. Commodore was huge at one point and bungled it. Similarly with Atari. Gates didn't fundamentally change what was going to happen. Except perhaps for the worse as there were better OS's available. Gates won the marketing war.

Now, Gates was very driven and very smart and hugely successful, but he didn't set the path for the industry...that was already well underway.

Much as I'm personally ambivalent on Macs and most Apple products, I think Jobs had a lot more vision on where he wanted to push the industry. It's hard to argue against Jobs impact. Apple is one of the largest companies in the world and their products are ubiquitous and part of every day life. Apple's products drove markets that didn't exist or were vestigial (e.g. the iPod or iPhone).

For me, Musk is akin to Jobs in trying to push an industry towards his vision. Musk's path had far more risk given the industries he chose to push (auto and space). Musk hasn't had that impact yet, but it's certainly a possibility. With reusable rockets and mass EV adoption, the world may look very different in 20 years largely due to his efforts.

Last edited:
Respectfully disagree. We Tesla fans live in a bit of a bubble and overestimate Musk's impact, atleast to this point.

One day, when all auto manufacturers are compelled - largely due to Musk's push with Tesla - to go all- (or mostly-) electric across their entire fleets, I'd acknowledge Musk's greater impact. SpaceX has a long way to go before the innovative efforts there touch the common man.

In some ways Space X has already touched the common man. I am normally the one to bring up Tesla/SCTY/Space X in any given conversation but a few people have beat me to Space X. People are glad that America has some way to reach the space station. In context against Pc's or Smartphones your point is still valid.

Paypal has had more to do with the everyday man than either of the other ones and I think Elon might be a lot richer and more people would have known of him had he stayed on with Paypal. He planned on it being a full service bank.

+1 with what gg said

- - - Updated - - -

More Musk stalking. I blame you guys.

Via my new favorite Musk-information feed site, I found this lengthy story on the history of Tesla - starting long before Musk in the '90s with a car built by AC Propulsion (tzero). Some interesting emails from Musk early on, too, in a not-too-flattering way. Here's the story on Business Insider: Tesla: The Origin Story - Business Insider

The heads-up I got was from Wheres Elon? All About Musk, Tesla, SpaceX and Everything | Everything Elon Musk, Tesla, SpaceX, GigaFactories and PayPal. Forgive me if this is old news to you folks, but it's a really interesting story, I thought.

The Business Insider story neglects to recount the time that Elon Musk worked for Microsoft. Yes, Microsoft. Funny how that little historical segment's being swept under the carpet...

Interesting. And your source for that is...?

I found the following on the Internet Archive: http://wayback.archive.org/web/19970223084955/http://zip2.com/scripts/staticpage.dll?ep=507&ck=26420&ver=d2.0

It's a bio page for people who worked at Zip2, Elon's internet directory company he founded. It says Elon worked at Microsoft among other places. Doesn't say what he did, or how long he worked there.

Update: found more info on an Inc. story from 2007 (link). Musk was an intern in Microsoft's Canadian marketing department.

Last edited:
Thirty or so years ago, while in high school, I knew who Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Steve Wozniak were... No one else there did. By 1999, a lot of people in the public had learned who Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were, at least. Trust that today, there are people in high school who know who Elon Musk is, and no one else around them is aware of him at all. Give it fifteen years (or less) and a lot of eyes will be opened.

Automotive News World Congress
January 13-14, 2015
Detroit

-------------------------------------------------------
Setting the Pace in a Thriving Market
Every January, leaders of the industry gather to discuss key issues and strategies for the coming year.

The 39th annual Automotive News World Congress is the one event where delegates will hear the industry's top executives share their outlook on the state of the industry and their strategies to manage ongoing global challenges and growth opportunities.

Join close to 1000 of your peers for this 2-day event featuring more than 20 industry speakers and an unparalleled opportunity to reach and hear from top level decision-makers.
--------------------------------------------------------

Will Elon Musk be there?
Answer: YES
Elon Musk is one of the speakers

Link: http://www.autonews.com/section/autonewsevents02

Last edited:
TrueCar CEO Scott Painter was just interviewed on CNBC, he mentioned Elon bought his house & drives a Model S

TrueCar CEO Scott Painter Talks Cars, Life And Saving His Company - Forbes
Is it true Elon Musk knocked on your door and bought your house?
Yes. This was 12 years ago. He was moving to Los Angeles for the first time. He literally walked up and asked if the house was for sale. He bought the house and we ended up being friends.

What have you learned from him?
I think Elon is testing the absolute boundaries of what’s humanly possible. Everybody is inspired by him. He’s an incredibly pragmatic thinker and I think he’s hilarious personally. Most of all, he is a very unrestrained thinker. He has an absolutely iron will. He is so stubborn. When you combine all those traits, it’s clear that we’re in the bottom of the second inning with Elon. This is the beginning for him. As much as he’s done with Tesla, I think the things we’ll see in terms of tech advancement and progress with Space X and the privatization of space travel is beyond comprehension.

Do you drive a Tesla?
I have a Tesla Model S, a Range Rover, a Tahoe for the four kids, and a 1973 Ford Bronco. That’s the one that probably makes me the happiest. I have a little boy and on weekends, he shakes his ears with excitement over that one. You can’t beat a reaction like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.