Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: One-time FSD transfers for purchases in Q3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a bit dumb, but I’m guessing even if you trade-in to Tesla themselves, they’re not going to give you the value of FSD right? And just what is that value?

I have a 2021 Model 3 LR with FSD and was thinking of upgrading to a Y. Teslas trade in estimator says my car is worth $30-33K. It has 25K miles on it and pristine. It’s crazy to me to see such a low number especially if they say they factor in the cost of FSD in their trade in value. Now I’m really worried what the estimate will be without the FSD (since I wanna transfer it).
While the trade offer for my 2018 3 stated that it was with FSD, I am confident I got nothing for FSD. Chief Tweetie is full of crap.

I’m reading on Reddit that the terms and conditions have changed.

If I transfer my existing FSD to a new Y and I then sell that new Y privately at some point in the future does that new buyer get FSD when they buy my car? Or does it evaporate?

Does anyone have clarity on this with the newly evolved terms?

Reactions: johnny_cakes
I’m reading on Reddit that the terms and conditions have changed.

If I transfer my existing FSD to a new Y and I then sell that new Y privately at some point in the future does that new buyer get FSD when they buy my car? Or does it evaporate?

Does anyone have clarity on this with the newly evolved terms?
The old/original terms said NO but the new terms say YES. FSD is transferred and you own it the same way you do now. At least until we get a 3ed change. 🤪 🤣

Hello

A couple questions

Firstly if I transfer FSD do I also lose EAP on the original car (2018). Will I at least end up with Autopilot or just dumb cruise control.

Secondly does this offer require delivery in quarter three or just an order? How long can I delay delivery if I order in September trying to get Highland?

Last edited:
Firstly if I transfer FSD do I also lose EAP on the origin Imam car (2018).
Yes.

Will I at least end up with Autopilot or just dumb cruise control.
You will have AP on the old vehicle.

Secondly does this offer require delivery in quarter three or just an order? How long can I delay delivery if I order in September trying to get Highland?
Delivery. You have to take delivery by 9/30. As far as delaying, read the terms in your order agreement. I think you have to take delivery within 14 days of them giving you a VIN or they can cancel your order and keep your $250.

For new vehicles, if you do not take delivery within fourteen (14) days of our first attempt tonotify you, Tesla may cancel your order and keep your Order Fee

You can be sure that no Highland Model 3s will be delivered before 10/1.

• Helpful
Reactions: Pricedm
This might be questionable since it didn't come with AP standard
There's been at least 2 reports of transferring FSD resulted in reverting to basic/standard AP on the old vehicle that originally could be configured with no Autopilot.

The old car was downgraded to Standard Autopilot (which, by the way, wasn’t even an option back in 2017).
My 2018 Model 3 that was stripped of FSD was left with adaptive cruise the day before I took delivery of the new car… I bought the car in 2018 with no autopilot

That would be logical since the new vehicle already has standard AP. So you'd just transfer the AP->FSD upgrade. Though with Tesla there is usually not much logic involved :)
Yea, with Tesla NEVER chalk up to benevolence or logic what can be attributed to the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. Could be in the rush to implement the new policy Tesla just flagged all to get AP but tomorrow some engineer may say "you know some cars didn't come with AP standard so it should be removed".:oops:

With Tesla you can never know for sure since Tesla seems to never know for sure. 🤪

Question for California peeps…We have a 2020 Model Ywith FSD. At the time of purchase there was no Federal 7,500 tax credit or California rebate (now $2,000). Now there is. If we take advantage of the FSD trade in offer, would we get both incentives? Income for us is under $150k.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
Question for California peeps…We have a 2020 Model Ywith FSD. At the time of purchase there was no Federal 7,500 tax credit or California rebate (now $2,000). Now there is. If we take advantage of the FSD trade in offer, would we get both incentives? Income for us is under $150k.
It’s a new car purchase. When the old car was purchased doesn’t matter.

I'm going through the process of purchasing a new vehicle and transferring the FSD. Can anyone provide how long it takes for Tesla to update the MVPA with the removal of the FSD cost? It's been two days and my MVPA has still not been updated and I need the updated MVPA to send to 3rd party financing.

I'm going through the process of purchasing a new vehicle and transferring the FSD. Can anyone provide how long it takes for Tesla to update the MVPA with the removal of the FSD cost? It's been two days and my MVPA has still not been updated and I need the updated MVPA to send to 3rd party financing.
Similar situation here. Submitted the signed form earlier today, but the sales are already pushing me to schedule delivery. The FSD price has not been removed yet.

-----

Just heard back from them: The team will process the FSD transfer case within 72 hours of the scheduled delivery date

Last edited:
Similar situation here. Submitted the signed form earlier today, but the sales are already pushing me to schedule delivery. The FSD price has not been removed yet.

-----

Just heard back from them: The team will process the FSD transfer case within 72 hours of the scheduled delivery date
I’m not sure why they wait till 72 hours before delivery to provide the updated MPVA. 72 hours before delivery makes it tight time frame to send to finance company and then finance company cut a check to tesla all before delivery. It would make sense to provide as soon as possible to facilitate 3rd party financing.

And actually one question about term #6:

6. The forfeiture of Full Self Driving capability on your current vehicle is non-reversible after you
take delivery of the new Tesla vehicle, or we remove Full Self Driving capability from your current vehicle, whichever occurs first. This remains non-reversible even in the event that you cancel or reverse your purchase after you have taken delivery.​

Anyone knows what if there is a problem with delivery (like car damaged / severe quality issue that has to be rejected)? Will the FSD be gone? Or I can wait for the new VIN and then the new car will get the transfer?

Wow. I’m still waiting on a trade assessment that I filed on Monday morning. I’m about to chalk up the $250.00 as a loss. They keep trying to get me to accept an inventory model that doesn’t fit my ordered car spec. There actually was a “close to spec” car they had that I’d have taken, but when I inquired about it, no response. This is not how you sell a product, sorry.

And actually one question about term #6:

6. The forfeiture of Full Self Driving capability on your current vehicle is non-reversible after you​
take delivery of the new Tesla vehicle, or we remove Full Self Driving capability from your current vehicle, whichever occurs first. This remains non-reversible even in the event that you cancel or reverse your purchase after you have taken delivery.​

Anyone knows what if there is a problem with delivery (like car damaged / severe quality issue that has to be rejected)? Will the FSD be gone? Or I can wait for the new VIN and then the new car will get the transfer?
Was wondering about that as well. The term doesn't seem applicable to refusing delivery though, it just states removal of FSD from the current vehicle cannot be reversed. IMHO you would only lose FSD on the current vehicle in case you cancel your order and it has already been removed.