Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon stops providing mobile connector/says “you're on your own”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is getting too greedy.

People often confuse capitalist economic principles with greed. If Tesla sold their vehicles for $1 each, every person on earth would buy one (or more)... but Tesla could never supply that many, and so by their very generously low prices, they would be denying the majority of interested buyers from being able to obtain their products.

Raising prices *is* a way to make more money, but it's also THE way to reduce demand. They *have* to reduce demand of mobile connectors or they're going to run out. A large part of the demand is their policy to include one with the vehicle, and it's artificial demand (many are unneeded and end up unused). They're solving that problem, that's all.

I fully stand by raising pitchforks over v11, because it's 100% within Tesla's control and it's not a matter of economics. In the case of this mobile connector though, this isn't a big deal. Just buy one for $200 if you need it (or get the wall connector, which is a better solution).

People often confuse capitalist economic principles with greed. If Tesla sold their vehicles for $1 each, every person on earth would buy one (or more)... but Tesla could never supply that many, and so by their very generously low prices, they would be denying the majority of interested buyers from being able to obtain their products.

Raising prices *is* a way to make more money, but it's also THE way to reduce demand. They *have* to reduce demand of mobile connectors or they're going to run out. A large part of the demand is their policy to include one with the vehicle, and it's artificial demand (many are unneeded and end up unused). They're solving that problem, that's all.

I fully stand by raising pitchforks over v11, because it's 100% within Tesla's control and it's not a matter of economics. In the case of this mobile connector though, this isn't a big deal. Just buy one for $200 if you need it (or get the wall connector, which is a better solution).
I agree if my wife decides to get a Tesla honestly I don't need another. If we take a road trip we'd just throw our one in the car. I used mine the first 3 weeks waiting for the wall charger install and probably will never again.
I like V11 though :)

Tesla should have just not said anything, raised it another 1k, and people would accept it. Hilarious.

This is probably due to supply (maybe even chip supply).

I’m fine with this change. Can even go with a 3rd party option if you want.

My electric company gives me up to 500 credit for a level 2 charger (but not for a Tesla version).

And when I replace my other gas car with the Cybertruck, I certainly don’t need to buy another mobile charger.

I have used my mobile charger 3 times in 5.5 years. Once was to test it. The other two were not “needed” since there were other chargers nearby. Just did it for a little more convenience.

It's a s***y move. I'm sure that next it will be the Type 2 cable (formerly blue, now black) they won't deliver with the car either. It's a s***y move because first off, you're nickel-and-diming your own customers who are already spending upwards of 40k in £, $, Euros.

Second, new owners have a lot of range anxiety and having one of these in the car as a backup will encourage people to take it to cabins, lodges, remote places with no charging facilities but do have domestic plug sockets. I haven't needed to use mine on my current car thanks to the range, but I did use my UMC a lot on my SR+ when staying at small hotels and friend's houses.

You could say that people can just buy their own but a lot of new owners won't know that they need to do that, and as I already mentioned, they've already spent a lot of money on the car. By the same philosophy you could start taking out all the other things that are "unnecessary" - carpets (they've already done this for the SR+, astonishingly), the type 2 cable etc.

It won't affect me as I will keep mine if/when I get a new Tesla but it's a s**** move for new customers.

So many cry babies 😂

I have 3 mobile connector bags just sitting in my garage that have never been used.

Please do. Go and spend more on a Porsche because you don't get a mobile charge connector with a new Tesla when you have an old Tesla and a mobile connector already 🥴
Send me one of the three sitting in your garage since I planned my home charging around getting it and have already bought several of the adapters like the 14-50. The wall charger also doesn't help me at the camp/rv site. I'll send you $20 to cover a large flat rate box, then one less has to go to waste in your gargage.

Last edited:
I think this isn't exactly fair. Tesla is approaching a run rate of 2 million vehicles per year. Ford produced 27k Mach-Es last year. They're worlds apart in manufacturing quantity.

It's highly likely that this is due to shortages (the mobile connector is sold out on Tesla.com), and this is Tesla's creative solution. Many, many Tesla owners literally won't use the included mobile connector... selling it separately creates economic incentive for those who don't need one not to take it.

It seems like there are a lot more people upset about this mobile connector than about the latest price changes (because they understand the price changes better)... but this is just a mind trap.

Perhaps instead, Tesla should've hiked prices by another $500, but then offered a $500 discount for those willing to forego their mobile connector.

For those saying... "but for $60k, wah" - you're buying a $60k vehicle and fussing about a $200 plug. I think for a $60k vehicle, it should come with free Tesla branded TP, sunglasses, and a year of foot rubs.
Turning the blame on the buyer what Tesla stans always do. "What, you can't shell out another $200 on top of your $60k car for a functional accessory that comes with literally every EV every made?" Ridiculous.

Nobody remembers 1% price increases. Everyone remembers the crappy policies that squeeze the consumer for every last penny.

Nobody remembers 1% price increases. Everyone remembers the crappy policies that squeeze the consumer for every last penny.

Actually, I think the price increases have been closer to 10%. More accurate would be "Nobody remembers the 10% price increases. Everyone remembers them trying to solve the mobile connector shortage by not giving them away to those who don't need them".

They said the same thing about the passenger side lumbar controls. "No one was using it". So many defended them when they did it. Some of us installed them ourselves but two firmware updates ago, they brick the controls of the DIY-ers. Again this was defended by many. Now they have come for the mobile chargers since they know people will accept that too. I'm waiting to see what else they take away because, "no one was using it based on our data." Maybe the rear seats or the frunk. ;)
The radar….. gone with the wind

Anybody participating in the battery/charging sections of this forum for even five minutes knows this is a complete fabrication.
How? Once I got my home charger installed I think I've used the mobile connector exactly zero times. Other charging is SC or J1772. Sure, I like the "peace of mind" of having the connector, but that's just my mindset. You cannot draw conclusions about posts to this (or any other) forum since the sample set is (by definition) biased.

Send me one of the three sitting in your garage since I planned my home charging around getting it and have already bought several of the adapters like the 14-50. The wall charger also doesn't help me at the camp/rv site. I'll send you $20 to cover a large flat rate box, then one less has to go to waste in your gargage.
Plenty for sale on eBay from many willing to depart with theirs.

Is there any reason not to use the mobile charger instead of buying a home charger? It’s worked fine over the last 9 years and easy to bag up if going on a long trip. I never saw the rationale to spend the extra money for something to sit in the garage.
I use the wall charger because of the extra length cable so I don’t need to back in based on where the plug is.

Also it’s possible your power company may reimburse you on a new level 2 charger.

Reactions: metier
Is there any reason not to use the mobile charger instead of buying a home charger? It’s worked fine over the last 9 years and easy to bag up if going on a long trip. I never saw the rationale to spend the extra money for something to sit in the garage.

I don't know about the US but in the UK you can get much, much cheaper electricity tariffs if you use a smart charger.

My normal electricity tariff is 30p per kWh (it used to be 14p - electricity costs have gone crazy), but I pay 7.5p per kWh between 11:30 pm and 5:30 am.

I don't know if you have deals like that with your energy suppliers in the US but surely another advantage is that a 7kw home charger will charge your car faster than from a domestic power socket or commando socket.

How? Once I got my home charger installed I think I've used the mobile connector exactly zero times. Other charging is SC or J1772. Sure, I like the "peace of mind" of having the connector, but that's just my mindset. You cannot draw conclusions about posts to this (or any other) forum since the sample set is (by definition) biased.

I can draw conclusions based on this forum, because they’re statistically significant, align with observations of others with access to actual data, and directly contradict the statement being made by lord Elon.

Your anecdotal report of your own experience, while I’m sure it’s super relevant and interesting to you, is irrelevant to the larger discussion. My observation (and again, the data from others) supports the idea that a LOT of owners use the UMC as their primary means of charging. Far more than would ever pass the “super low” smell test that is being passed off as an excuse to justify this change.

Wanna charge people a few extra hundred bucks? Do what you gotta. But don’t try and justify it with some obvious bullshit.

I can draw conclusions based on this forum, because they’re statistically significant, align with observations of others with access to actual data, and directly contradict the statement being made by lord Elon.

Your anecdotal report of your own experience, while I’m sure it’s super relevant and interesting to you, is irrelevant to the larger discussion. My observation (and again, the data from others) supports the idea that a LOT of owners use the UMC as their primary means of charging. Far more than would ever pass the “super low” smell test that is being passed off as an excuse to justify this change.

Wanna charge people a few extra hundred bucks? Do what you gotta. But don’t try and justify it with some obvious bullshit.
Would be great if Elon released those numbers.

But after looking at what he said, “usage statistics were super low”. What does that mean exactly? Is 60% usage still considered low? 40% waste is a lot.

In hindsight, I wish Elon would have handled it as follows:

1. Introduce an option at checkout to not include the mobile charger and save 400.

2. Six months later, raise prices of cars as needed.

Would have avoided this fiasco.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't know about the US but in the UK you can get much, much cheaper electricity tariffs if you use a smart charger.

My normal electricity tariff is 30p per kWh (it used to be 14p - electricity costs have gone crazy), but I pay 7.5p per kWh between 11:30 pm and 5:30 am.

I don't know if you have deals like that with your energy suppliers in the US but surely another advantage is that a 7kw home charger will charge your car faster than from a domestic power socket or commando socket.
The car is a smart charger… just set the charge start time one the mcu or whatever it’s called.
Here we just pay the time of use rate and the power co offers a special rate for EV owners.
-again no benefit of one charger over an another. And I wouldn’t spend the money in hopes the utility company would just reimburse me if there’s really no benefit.