Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon stops providing mobile connector/says “you're on your own”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any reason not to use the mobile charger instead of buying a home charger? It’s worked fine over the last 9 years and easy to bag up if going on a long trip. I never saw the rationale to spend the extra money for something to sit in the garage.
1. Wall connector offers higher charge rate (mobile is limited to 32A).
2. Convenience of wall charger.
3. Some fixed chargers offer more sophisticated charging schedules to take advantage of off-peak rates.

Reactions: FlatSix911
It's weird for the first time I don't feel like a company is motivated by greed. It doesn't feel like they're cutting the charger out for profit. They could easily raise the price of the cars by $200 and no one would care. It really feels like it's just an additional way to speed up production.
Maybe I'm naïve but I've been following Tesla for years and it's one of the main reasons I've decided to back them even though I may be taking a leap of faith. No car company has genuinely felt like they were building cars for anything but profit until Tesla. Sure they have to make money and lots of it to push it even further but to me it feels genuine.
God I really sound like a fanboy :) someone quote this when I'm having issues with my Tesla. But no really I honestly think almost every other company will set the planet on fire for money. Where for the first time I think Tesla is just trying to do it better without any other motivation than improving the human race.

Oh wait this is the S area. Are we really complaining about $200?

I can draw conclusions based on this forum, because they’re statistically significant, align with observations of others with access to actual data, and directly contradict the statement being made by lord Elon.
No, you can't .. because you have no idea how representative the sample set is .. which means any conclusions you try to draw are dubious at best. And what observations are you referring to? You have accused Elon of making assertions with no evidence, and yet you are doing exactly the same thing. If you have a genuinely unbiased sample set, with clear numbers to show that Elon is wrong, then share them with us .. that would be great.

And of course I wasn't trying to extrapolate from my personal experience to others (as my post made clear).

Can someone start a poll here choosing 1) use it Regularly 2) use it sometimes and 3) never use it (yet) to get an idea ?
I made a poll here. Most responses rely mainly on the mobile charger.

Reactions: Z_Lynx

Still accounts for a LOT of wasted mobile chargers. several hundred thousand per year and would have increased every year.

Last edited:

Interesting 1,917,450 Tesla's sold up to 2021 but 100 people voted on a forum. Honestly I think they should have just raised the price again and been done with it instead of being transparent. Now people just complain more where they could have just blamed someone else and no one would care.

Reactions: WhiteWi and SO16
Still accounts for a LOT of wasted mobile chargers. several hundred thousand per year and would have increased every year.
Sure, but we’re upset over how Tesla is handling it. In process orders should get it standard still or offer a credit and possibly earlier build date for giving it up. And new orders could have a clearly stated section to select if they want to include the mobile charger or not.

Removing it from in progress orders is where the main controversy is. It was listed as standard/included when people placed their order so people planned to rely on having it as the main charging method and paid to have outlets installed in anticipation, etc

This is exacerbated by the fact it’s perpetually out of stock and people can’t even purchase one separately if they wanted to.

No, you can't .. because you have no idea how representative the sample set is .. which means any conclusions you try to draw are dubious at best. And what observations are you referring to? You have accused Elon of making assertions with no evidence, and yet you are doing exactly the same thing. If you have a genuinely unbiased sample set, with clear numbers to show that Elon is wrong, then share them with us .. that would be great.

More data showing the claim of super low use is bullshit:

So the conclusion is either:

All observable data here at TMC and other third party sources are bunk because those sources are somehow so exceptionally special that they are fundamentally different than the overall pool

Or

Elon is full of it.

I’ve got a pretty good idea where I land on this argument.

All observable data here at TMC and other third party sources are bunk because those sources are somehow so exceptionally special that they are fundamentally different than the overall pool

Or

Elon is full of it.

Maybe you're confusing low usage with minority usage. If 40% of Tesla owners are not using their mobile connectors, that's 800,000 mobile connectors a year being manufactured just to sit in the trunk. During a shortage, it would be really dumb NOT to redirect those 800k units to the users that actually need them.

Reactions: WhiteWi and SO16

Or

Elon is full of it.

Just looked at this again, it's 61% of charging sessions. Any idea how that would translate to owners?

Perhaps owners charging at 110v have more charging sessions, skewing the numbers.

Would be good to know the percentage of vehicles that use the mobile connector.

Or
Elon is full of it.
I don't see any data for DC fast supercharging?

Hard to believe some ate DEFENDING this absurdity. But fanboi ism is strong. So shouldn’t be shocked.

I'm not a fanboy, but it's possible some will see me as defending this decision. I see it differently. My opinion is that anyone who sees this as a cash grab is being silly.

Tesla has already shown that they have no problem raising prices when they want to... and the demand for their cars still heavily outweighs the supply. They've increased their prices like FIVE TIMES in the past year, and in multiples of $500 each time.

Anyone who thinks this mobile connector decision is greed is blind with anger. If they wanted to increase revenue, they would just increase prices.

Mobile connectors have been sold out for a while. If they were a large revenue source, they'd keep them in stock so as not to lose sales.

It seems very clear that they are suffering supply shortages and one good way to deal with it is to stop giving them to owners who won't use them. If a mobile connector comes free with the car, everyone wants one (whether they'll use it or not). Simply putting a low economic barrier in front of them ($200) causes people to only buy one of they plan to use it. Since HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of buyers every year aren't using the things, this small $200 fee solves the constrained supply by reducing demand.

Anyone still whining about the $200 is missing the point entirely. Also, many people seem bent out of shape because "I already ordered my car", but it hasn't been confirmed that you won't get one.

Anybody participating in the battery/charging sections of this forum for even five minutes knows this is a complete fabrication.
I bet lot of people leave them in the car for emergencies. This would look like low usage but would not necessarily translate to people not needing/wanting them. They're jumping to conclusions as to why usage is low.

They're saying people don't need them because they use Wall Connector instead. So reduce the cost of that by the cost of Mobile Connector.

Reactions: 2101Guy