TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Elon twits AP1 improvements coming...anyone still trust them?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by u00mem9, Jan 8, 2017.

?

Guess the 'improvement' / downgrade:

1. Remove asinine +0 speed limit on undivided roads

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  2. Remove all Autopilot usage on undivided roads

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. Implement asinine +0 speed limit on all roads including divided freeway

17 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. Steering wheel nags every 10 seconds

16 vote(s)
    20.5%
  5. Back out previous gimping after realizing this is a PR nightmare

13 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Other improvements they haven't thought of yet, and will begin work tonight

25 vote(s)
    32.1%
  7. On dash counter for remaining full-power launches for P cars

12 vote(s)
    15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

I see that the latest tweet claims additional improvements are coming to AP1...anyone care to guess the 'improvements'? Or guess more functionality that will be removed to further gimp the system so it's less embarrassing to the current capability of AP2?

Let me know some other ideas, and I'll add them. Vote for as many as you think are possible.

• Disagree x 17
    • Like x 4
  2. aja2460

aja2460 Old Member

The question in the title is a little different than the poll.

Yes, I still trust them.

Its a journey that is not easy (or we'd be there already). Sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back. I believe that it will be OK.

• Like x 12
    • Disagree x 1
  3. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

All I know for sure is I won't update until I hear about what's in there.
    I'm guessing stop sign and traffic light recognition, but sadly expect it to be just a shiny toy to distract from further additional restrictions like a +0 limit on highways or no AP on single lane side streets.

• Like x 2
  4. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

works great for me. this seems like an unconstructive and pointless thread.

• Like x 11
    • Disagree x 4
  5. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I want summoning to be improved

• Like x 3
  6. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I dunno about your AP1, but mine now sees two cars ahead after a previous software update. It didn't do that when Autopilot was first released.

Also, my AP1 still works great at any speed of my choice on divided highways. You know, the only place you're supposed to use it anyhow.

Too easy to overlook the good.

• Like x 20
    • Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

#7 Vitold, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    @uu I think it is time to consider that you delete your account since you sound like a troll.

• Like x 5
    • Disagree x 4
  8. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Yes, I trust Tesla... much more than most any other company.
    I will continue to install updates because they always fix things and add new features.
    Yes, I am upset that the last update restricted by speed to below the speed limit on two lane roads (stupid) and I am upset that I get constant nags to keep my hands on the steering wheel when my hands ARE on the steering wheel. (Please don't tell me that "I'm holding it wrong.")
    However, on balance, the car keeps getting better... much better with each software update.

• Like x 3
  9. DrivingRockies

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them adding any additional AP functionality to HW1. HW2 is now the focus as they let HW1 fade into the background and attempt to make it less of a potential "liability".

10. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

What was V8? That was an improvement

• Funny x 2
  11. roblab

roblab Active Member

I'm glad some can see the improvements and understand a tiny bit how far Tesla has come in such a short time. I can understand how there might be disappointment, but at 73, I look back and realize that I never got all that I wanted, even at Christmas. You just gotta be thankful that we have these problems, which are definitely NOT something we worried about ten years ago!!

• Like x 5
    • Love x 2
  12. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

I try to be a little humorous...and I definitely Am interested in letting Tesla know functionality should be confirmed before roll out. They will be burned at the stake if 500k model 3 buyers prepay for self driving that never works.

I guess the ice melted in my kool-aid a little with the recent tesla signal : noise ratio dropping pretty low, but it's still the best car on the road! (Model S)

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Its interesting that some think that AP is just another simple feature that can be pushed out quickly. AP is a terribly high risk venture for any car company. They have to get it right the first time or people die. Be thankful that Tesla is being very cautious in offering this to us.....they cannot afford not to.

• Like x 3
  14. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

Well which is it? They are so innovative they can't be troubled to validate safety before release or they are so safe they can't be troubled to release a product until it's fully validated. (But they can sell it before it's finished)

This thread is meant to be about AP1, but I think you are taking about the current issue some have with owning AP2 hardware and no AP capability

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. paperjohn

paperjohn Member

I too think this is a bit of a goofy post. Tesla is right to put lots of limitations on AP. There are a few risk takers that would like to drive a country road on AP just for kicks. Tesla's are for drivers. Enjoy the drive.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Agreed. There's a local radio show where they occasionally have folks contact them with First World Problems. I should send them a link to this thread. :)

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  17. kavyboy

kavyboy Member

I always wanted a puppy, but never got one. I never held it against Santa even to this day, since it would be a gift. However, Santa never took my money for a puppy, showed me how it could do tricks, then kept it locked in a kennel where it couldn't do anything. Aren't tortured analogies fun!

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  18. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

The horror!! :rolleyes:

• Funny x 3
  19. DrivingRockies

My post said "any additional". I was referring to here on out, not stuff that was done/that we had and was taken away. Sorry for any confusion.

• Informative x 2