Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon twits AP1 improvements coming...anyone still trust them?

Guess the 'improvement' / downgrade:

• Remove asinine +0 speed limit on undivided roads

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Remove all Autopilot usage on undivided roads

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Implement asinine +0 speed limit on all roads including divided freeway

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Steering wheel nags every 10 seconds

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Back out previous gimping after realizing this is a PR nightmare

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Other improvements they haven't thought of yet, and will begin work tonight

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • On dash counter for remaining full-power launches for P cars

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dunno about your AP1, but mine now sees two cars ahead after a previous software update. It didn't do that when Autopilot was first released.

Also, my AP1 still works great at any speed of my choice on divided highways. You know, the only place you're supposed to use it anyhow.

Too easy to overlook the good.
That would be awesome if it could tell the difference between a divided and undivided highway, or accurately determine the speed limit. Mine frequently cannot do either, therefore the recent "updates" have done nothing but cripple the system for many.

I live "out in the country" and have tried AP1 on undivided country roads over various AP improvements and strongly do not recommend AP1 on undivided roads with no shoulder markings unless you are paying close attention. One miscue and suddenly you are in a head-on collision, or in the ditch.

AP1 on major divided highways seems to work very well and seems to be getting better, e.g. at staying in lanes, changing lanes, not wanting to take an exit, seeing two cars ahead. With the most recent version of 8, I have experienced one thing I classify as a bug -- mysteriously reducing the speed on a highway, but I feel Tesla is paying attention and working on fixing this. The steering wheel nag does not seem any worse than before for me.

I live "out in the country" and have tried AP1 on undivided country roads over various AP improvements and strongly do not recommend AP1 on undivided roads with no shoulder markings unless you are paying close attention. One miscue and suddenly you are in a head-on collision, or in the ditch.

AP1 on major divided highways seems to work very well and seems to be getting better, e.g. at staying in lanes, changing lanes, not wanting to take an exit, seeing two cars ahead. With the most recent version of 8, I have experienced one thing I classify as a bug -- mysteriously reducing the speed on a highway, but I feel Tesla is paying attention and working on fixing this. The steering wheel nag does not seem any worse than before for me.
No shoulder markings would be a bad idea.

Tesla tech support knows there is a bug. They request exact location and time that the car had the deceleration issue. They asked me to call back every time.

Traffic light and stop sign detection might be a possibility. And I realize that I voted that they might remove AP1 from undivided highways, and I understand that these are polar opposites, I believe it can go either way.

I don't expect anything drastic for divided highways, and AP works great there.

Reactions: kavyboy
We have shoulder markings. They are three inches away from the drop off shoulder that if your wheel goes over. so does your car. I cannot tell you the amount of cars that have left the edge, over corrected and wound up, upside down or on their sides because the drivers just swayed to far off course and also did not have the experience or sense to just let it ride safely back on (or they did not want to impact the tree that was coming up fast).

I tried AP1 on these types of roads in 7.1 a few times and that was enough for me.

Lets not forget that Tesla is watching every mile we drive. Outside of regulatory change or regulatory or liability pressures, there is zero reason for Tesla to "reduce functionality." While any one of us can cite to how safely AP navigates our particular commute or typical drive notwithstanding conditions, Tesla is seeing every instance where those drives are successful, unsuccessful, or dangerous. From that I expect they reach the conclusion that under X, Y and Z conditions, we believe that AP will act in a safe manner consistent with our testing and our models, but in A or B situations, given the current state of software, sensors, etc..., we no longer believe we can assure that same safety. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works well enough across the fleet such that no change is warranted. This whole "Tesla are idiots and stealing my functionality" dynamic simply doesn't make sense to me. Telsa has to assure the safety of every car, and the fact that you have not had a problem [or maybe that it isn't enough of a problem to bother you] doesn't mean that there is sufficient assurance that the fleet will perform adequately in a similar or slightly different circumstance. Why, then, you would argue, did Tesla ever permit the functionality to begin with? They must be cowboy idiots! Or the lawyers got to them. Or the regulators are strong-arming them. Orrrrr functionality which seemed reasonable and tested well on release turned out, in the real world conditions where new roads create new challenges or enough people are using the functionality in a way that decreases functionality forces a change across the board to protect the integrity of all drivers. Sure, I liked that on certain roads that AP was specifically not designed to handle I could use AP with only minimal input, even going faster than the speed limit. I also saw the limitations that required (for me), relatively frequent interventions to protect against the possibility of probability of sub-optimal outcomes. Even on roads where AP is designed to work, I've stopped using AP for the last two weeks under certain circumstances where engaging AP causes the car to dive towards the right lane line even if another car is occupying that space. Tesla has the benefit of many millions of miles of input data to tweak how and when the cars work, and the can mean that when the rubber meets the real world the car needs to be adjusted to provide the greatest possibility of safety and functionality for everyone, even if that means that some of us from time to time won't get every bit of free functionality we used to have. It could be as simple a feedback loop as noticing that too many people are driving 55 in a 35 zone using autopilot without their hands on the wheel (enough or at all). That too many people are using the functionality in a way that was supported but not intended and doing so in a way that potentially creates a danger to themselves or others. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I don't like fruit. (Dave Attell)

I understand your point. Here is the counterpoint: Tesla is currently laughably bad at determining where AP is safe-ish. Many areas marked restricted where it is fine, and unrestricted where it is so dangerous it should not be used. Thus, only the driver is currently capable of determining appropriate roads. By all means, improvements to the capability or the road database are welcome. But until then, stop making it worse.

It basically requires constant oversight EVERYWHERE, and that includes areas that are divided freeway. So I really don't understand the distinction some of you are so enthusiastically endorsing from Tesla HQ. I'm honestly not convinced Tesla knows what a country road through TX, etc. looks like.

You could be right. Here is the counterpoint: I have driven many a road in TX in my MS, with very few issues. It has generally been spot on in determining the relevant speed limit, divided vs. undivided, etc... I have also found instances where the car was not sure/correct and limited me, only to later remove or change the limits. In some cases the limits remain. The default is always going to be to reduce availability of AP in cases that involve either a lack of driving miles, whitelisting, etc... Driving the Grand Parkway, the map shows it still under construction. I can use AP at 90 (theoretically of course) but it wigs out from time to time, particularly when an overhead sign comes into view. No map data, no whitelist data, and no driving data. But after 10 or so trips it started driving better even though the map had not been updated. That doesn't bother me. It may others. I don't see how that makes Tesla laughably bad.

p.s. ....and constant oversight everywhere is an explicit requirement of the use of AP. Just because we think it doesn't need it, or that it works if you are dumb enough to hang a weight on the wheel, doesn't change that fact. And I mean dumb in a charming way of course. Like clowns, and like kittens getting into fights....that sort of dumb.

Reactions: 1 person
I think those hoping for traffic light detection are likely to be (perpetually) disappointed. My understanding is that HW1 cannot
distinguish colors. Though maybe it is considered "good enough" to only be fooled by configurations that would likely confuse
a color-blind human driver?

Dave Attell, you wrote a long post with a lot of conjecture; while your explanation may be reasonable, I won't be satisfied until I hear from Tesla about why they did what they did. I don't expect to hear from them. Meanwhile I'm advising people not to buy a new Tesla right now unless they're willing to be an early adopter and make a donation to the cause and not be disappointed if they don't get the promise of AP 2.0.
Tesla has redefined the way the manufacture maintains connection with and control of your car. They need to also redefine the way they communicate with owners about changes they make on our behalf.

I think those hoping for traffic light detection are likely to be (perpetually) disappointed. My understanding is that HW1 cannot
distinguish colors. Though maybe it is considered "good enough" to only be fooled by configurations that would likely confuse
a color-blind human driver?
Any links to support this? This is the first I'm hearing this.

Are you sure that the system just isn't processing the 3 color channels independently and writing out a monochrome image?