Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon twits AP1 improvements coming...anyone still trust them?

Guess the 'improvement' / downgrade:

• Remove asinine +0 speed limit on undivided roads

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Remove all Autopilot usage on undivided roads

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Implement asinine +0 speed limit on all roads including divided freeway

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Steering wheel nags every 10 seconds

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Back out previous gimping after realizing this is a PR nightmare

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Other improvements they haven't thought of yet, and will begin work tonight

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • On dash counter for remaining full-power launches for P cars

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't this BAU for Tesla in general? That is always my advice.
The difference is now the website is putting dollar amounts on future features (what if the regulators do not approve?) and Model 3 is coming when these kinds of shenanigans won’t be tolerated by the droves. I knew what I was getting into (thanks TMC) but people are getting tripped up by the now formal but inaccurate advertising (and apparently store staff as well).

Dave Attell, you wrote a long post with a lot of conjecture; while your explanation may be reasonable, I won't be satisfied until I hear from Tesla about why they did what they did. I don't expect to hear from them. Meanwhile I'm advising people not to buy a new Tesla right now unless they're willing to be an early adopter and make a donation to the cause and not be disappointed if they don't get the promise of AP 2.0.
Tesla has redefined the way the manufacture maintains connection with and control of your car. They need to also redefine the way they communicate with owners about changes they make on our behalf.

Sorry, the fruit reference was from comedian Dave Attell. Who also points out that aspirin won't bring a dead hooker back to life. So true.

I am unreservedly recommending the Tesla. Great car, great drive, great charging infrastructure and constantly improving...if not always in a 3 steps forward no steps back fashion. What's not to like from a macro perspective. Lighten up folks. :p

My point is really that there are a lot more plausible reasons for some of the changes than Tesla can't do software or Tesla doesn't care about AP 1 or Tesla ignores its customers or Tesla kidnaps babies. Not saying that those aren't possible, but Occam's Razor.

Last edited:
If you think we don't know Tesla's motivation, you have misunderstood my post.

Their motivation conflicts with my interests, and thus I want AP capability as purchased and available with 7.1. I really couldn't give a flying fig that they have now decided that is an expensive liability to their company. P90D owners don't care that high warranty costs may jeopardize Tesla profitability. Too late.

If tomorrow Tesla realizes that an 8 year / unlimited mile warranty on the powertrain is going to cost them billions they cannot afford, should they be able to just change that? For some of the true believers it would seem the answer is "Sure! Whatever helps Tesla!" I wish I could be so charitable, but I bought a car, not a religion.

7.1 was the peak of AP1 performance and may remain the peak longer than anyone expected if Tesla struggles without Mobileye's expertise. I'd like to hang onto it at least until another vehicle is available in the market that surpasses its capability. I'm in the 'full autonomy is still far away' camp, because in my experience, having the system capable of 90% of cases is about 1% of the challenge. Tesla is currently shifting their expectations of the driver's role...to a meaningless position where the driver is required for oversight because the system makes so many mistakes, but the system is gimped because the driver can't actually be expected to handle those mistakes.

Here's a chilling cautionary tale for you about how the least-likely problem and the most aberrant behavior can wind up dictating how we all live: every single consumer of packaged goods in America (at least) has been paying extra cost for and enduring the hassle of using
"safety seals" for a few decades now all because one idiot, once upon a time, tampered with a few pill bottles in one location. Do you really believe a society that would put up with that will allow the existence of cars that could misbehave with many, many orders of
magnitude higher frequency?

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
Here's a chilling cautionary tale for you about how the least-likely problem and the most aberrant behavior can wind up dictating how we all live: every single consumer of packaged goods in America (at least) has been paying extra cost for and enduring the hassle of using
"safety seals" for a few decades now all because one idiot, once upon a time, tampered with a few pill bottles in one location. Do you really believe a society that would put up with that will allow the existence of cars that could misbehave with many, many orders of
magnitude higher frequency?
I've never heard of the Tylenol murders of 1982, just went and edumucated myself. Interesting read.

Apparently they screwed up again in NOT having whatever they changed in the release notes.

They were supposed to pull/fix the issue where AP suddenly slows the car down to 50mph when you pass a stalled car in the shoulder. Something they added to the previous update (the one with the extra bands in the equalizer).

Apparently they screwed up again in NOT having whatever they changed in the release notes.

They were supposed to pull/fix the issue where AP suddenly slows the car down to 50mph when you pass a stalled car in the shoulder. Something they added to the previous update (the one with the extra bands in the equalizer).

Do you know they didn't fix it because you have the new version, and the behavior has not changed? Tesla almost certainly wouldn't bother putting that kind of change in the release notes. That's just not the kind of thing they document, just as they didn't document the change that started the slowing.

Where are you getting this info on what the change was supposed to "fix"?

What makes you think this was a screwup? Musk's tweet suggested that the update would only be actively running for those of us who received .185, and that for everyone else it would be in shadow mode. It would make sense to hide the release notes for a change that's running in shadow mode until it becomes available.

Do you know they didn't fix it because you have the new version, and the behavior has not changed? Tesla almost certainly wouldn't bother putting that kind of change in the release notes. That's just not the kind of thing they document, just as they didn't document the change that started the slowing.

And that's the stuff that really SHOULD be in the release notes. Release notes that essentially say "Security fixes to some modules and device driver updates" are useless, and not worth the staff time taken to write them.

Here's a useful release note:
REAPER 5.311: Laterally Stiff and Vertically Compliant
  • Media: fix creating empty MIDI items when inserting media with a time selection set
  • Peaks: use 5.15+ floating point peak format for lossy compressed files
  • FX: ignore monitoring FX windows when cascading other FX windows
  • Lyrics: fix display in web remote with multiple lyrics per beat
  • Lyrics: fix initial size of lyrics.lua window •
  • Lyrics: increase font size for current lyric in lyrics.lua
  • Lyrics: reduce lyrics.lua CPU usage
  • MIDI editor: update snap-to-key checkbox when switching MIDI items •
  • ReaScript: support ending multiple submenus at once •
  • Render: support $namecount wildcard when rendering media items •
Control surfaces
  • add customizable Web Interface, easily accessed via REAPER web control
  • do not prompt when recording via surface and no tracks armed
  • bring project media online when inactive and starting playback/record
ReaPlugs
  • improve analyzer display in ReaEQ/ReaXcomp (increased range, better integration behavior, interpolation bugs fixed)
  • resize ReaEQ/ReaFir/ReaXcomp to parent window
  • optionally log MIDI meta-messages in ReaControlMIDI

If you think we don't know Tesla's motivation, you have misunderstood my post.

Their motivation conflicts with my interests, and thus I want AP capability as purchased and available with 7.1. I really couldn't give a flying fig that they have now decided that is an expensive liability to their company. P90D owners don't care that high warranty costs may jeopardize Tesla profitability. Too late.

If tomorrow Tesla realizes that an 8 year / unlimited mile warranty on the powertrain is going to cost them billions they cannot afford, should they be able to just change that? For some of the true believers it would seem the answer is "Sure! Whatever helps Tesla!" I wish I could be so charitable, but I bought a car, not a religion.

7.1 was the peak of AP1 performance and may remain the peak longer than anyone expected if Tesla struggles without Mobileye's expertise. I'd like to hang onto it at least until another vehicle is available in the market that surpasses its capability. I'm in the 'full autonomy is still far away' camp, because in my experience, having the system capable of 90% of cases is about 1% of the challenge. Tesla is currently shifting their expectations of the driver's role...to a meaningless position where the driver is required for oversight because the system makes so many mistakes, but the system is gimped because the driver can't actually be expected to handle those mistakes.

I get it. You are the one guy who can use lawn darts without skewering your brother. I had 7.1 and 8.0 is better. Notwithstanding the things that need to get tweaked or fixed, notwithstanding that there are more restrictions on certain circumstances. Because all it takes is one lawn dart close to a head or through an arm and some one says, wait, people might drink beer and chuck these at each other? People might hang weights from their wheels to defeat the nag or climb in the back seat and engage auto pilot or try to drive Farm to Market 1105 at 60 mph with all the blind corners? I'm not an apologist, I'm a realist. People do dumb stuff and unfortunately companies have to adjust for the dumbest of us. Also, when you buy beta you get beta and beta changes. Many of which will need to take into account the real world as it is and not as we would like it. Why do you think it takes 4 separate locking mechanisms to use a Cuisinart. I know YOU don't need it, but 9 finger Sam has a different point of view.

What makes you think this was a screwup? Musk's tweet suggested that the update would only be actively running for those of us who received .185, and that for everyone else it would be in shadow mode. It would make sense to hide the release notes for a change that's running in shadow mode until it becomes available.

These are separate updates.

The one you're talking about is for AP2 cars.

The one I'm talking about is for AP1 cars.

Where are you getting this info on what the change was supposed to "fix"?

There isn't anything definitive. I just put two and two together.

A couple weeks ago in a different thread WK057 mentioned that Tesla acknowledged to him that they needed to fix/pull one of the recent changes they made to AP1. The specific "feature" in question was when the car temporarily slows down to 50mph on the freeway. This was happening to people without any reason, and nearly causing people to get rear ended. I believe it was designed to do this in specific situations like having a great speed differential between your car, and another car (like a stalled car on the shoulder). To me it seemed like Tesla was trying to do too much with too little info without enough testing.

So my expectation was the next update would address this.

I don't know if it does because it's not mentioned in the release notes. When this "feature" was added it wasn't in the release notes either.

It's the same update. He noted it in reference to HW2 before saying it "Also improves HW1 and enables Ludicrous+". It's just in shadow mode unless you have HW2 and are one of the 1000.

That is what Elon's twitter says, but so far it hasn't landed on any AP2 cars. It could be that the update that landed isn't this one. With the release notes simply being duplicated it's impossible to know what is it or what it does.

One would think that Ludicrous+ would be deserving of a note on the release notes.

Last edited:
I've never heard of the Tylenol murders of 1982, just went and edumucated myself. Interesting read.

Its actually a very interesting case and the way Tylenol handled it was a huge benefit to them.
They figured out it was from one area and that it was intentional poisoning. Tylenol didnt just recall the bottles from that area, they recalled EVERY bottle in the country.

This was genius on their end. Trust in their brand skyrocketed and they made tons of money after that. Their handling of the situation was well received by the public. They lost some money in the short run but it paid off in the long run

I get it. You are the one guy who can use lawn darts without skewering your brother. I had 7.1 and 8.0 is better. Notwithstanding the things that need to get tweaked or fixed, notwithstanding that there are more restrictions on certain circumstances. Because all it takes is one lawn dart close to a head or through an arm and some one says, wait, people might drink beer and chuck these at each other? People might hang weights from their wheels to defeat the nag or climb in the back seat and engage auto pilot or try to drive Farm to Market 1105 at 60 mph with all the blind corners? I'm not an apologist, I'm a realist. People do dumb stuff and unfortunately companies have to adjust for the dumbest of us. Also, when you buy beta you get beta and beta changes. Many of which will need to take into account the real world as it is and not as we would like it. Why do you think it takes 4 separate locking mechanisms to use a Cuisinart. I know YOU don't need it, but 9 finger Sam has a different point of view.

Jeff, I think you have just made my case better than I ever could have.

Reactions: jdjeff88