Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure Tesla could have introduced any new vehicle in mass volume earlier than they are now. They have been ramping battery supply as quickly as possible and only now are emerging into a period of excess supply.

Introducing a Model 2 would only eat away at demand for higher margin Model 3s, while the Cybertruck is in an entirely new segment.
Yeah, dont think could’ve done it sooner. But... as the market for EVs matures, doing well means expanding the price points you’re selling at.

I thought the FUD only applied to $TSLA:

1670973955532.png

And not paying rent …
Not paying rent, not paying employees, and likely not paying contractors is a very Trumpian way of doing business. Company I worked for, not my office, turned down work with Trump Org about 15-20 years ago because we knew he had a reputation for not paying bills and then forcing companies to sue to settle for pennies on the dollar.

Not paying severance to employees is an incredibly shitty thing to do.

Maybe people that are there now will work for free soon? Only thing is lawyer up honestly. Nothing outside of lawsuits makes Elon respond I feel (twitter purchase, solar roof price raises come to mind).

I agree with you there'd be less #$%^@ if some companies just do what they promised, but that's why we have lawsuits. Not paying rent? Maybe this is one of those unjust things he tweeted about (having to pay rent, cleaning crews, suppliers, fired employees). Paying any of those is unjust.

Last edited:
Not paying rent, not paying employees, and likely not paying contractors is a very Trumpian way of doing business. Company I worked for, not my office, turned down work with Trump Org about 15-20 years ago because we knew he had a reputation for not paying bills and then forcing companies to sue to settle for pennies on the dollar.

The amount of daylight between Elon and Trump, in some respects, appears to have gotten very slim indeed.

Not surprised by the tactic. Anything to smear Elon. It's why I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on the severance issue...I'll wait to see if former employees are having to fight him in court.

There are already lots of lawsuits, but yeah, let it play out. Elon will lose if it's a losing case or we wouldn't even all be here honestly since his lawsuit with buying Twitter was probably a guaranteed lost or he wouldn't have done the deal really.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Not paying rent in order to force a renegotiation is the same as a supplier stopping deliveries and demanding better terms. You burn bridges in both cases.
If I had a tenant who wasn't paying rent because he or she wants a better deal I'd just decline to give that tenant an option to renew. Trying to negotiate is fine but not paying while you are negotiating isn't how you do it. I'd actually look at this as a bigger issue than a tenant who was having actual financial problems and only paying part of the rent because in one case the withholding of the money is malicious.

Jack takes the responsibility for Twitter 1.0, as he should.
I wonder if he’ll use his minority shareholder rights in Twitter 2.0 to force transparency if Elon doesn’t deliver?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
"Free speech" is what Elon's constantly harping on.

And yes, he starting with "absolute" and then has been slowly walking it back as he's learned that absolute free speech is something that nobody has or wants anywhere.

The reality is that what people want is "curated free speech". They want the government to set some boundaries, and the venue to have its own limitations. This can result in a China, Russia, Iran, or North Korea when the government hand is heavy. Or it can result in any other country's environment depending on the details.

Generally, it's not censorship that's a problem in most places, it's bad curation.

Elon vastly underestimates the cost of good curation, but if he doesn't have it then Twitter is doomed.

The government has already set boundaries on what constitutes free speech.

What the Twitter files and comments from Mark Zuckerberg and FBI whistleblowers uncover is that private companies (perhaps with government influence) manipulate the citizenry through purposeful censorship and exclusion. As a free-market capitalist even this does not particularly bother me except when these immensely large powerful and virtually monopolistic private concerns hold themselves out to be a legitimate place for open public discourse. If it were not for Musk's $44 billion we would still believe Jack Dorsey's congressional testimony that Twitter does not censor or shadow ban political (especially conservative) thought and opinion.

Perhaps transparency is a threat to Twitter, Facebook and the other's, but "public square's" controlled by a handful of billionaires (with ties to government) without transparency is a threat to democracy. If Elon can at least help getting that part right perhaps his $44 billion was worth it.

we would still believe Jack Dorsey's congressional testimony that Twitter does not censor or shadow ban political (especially conservative) thought and opinion.
Nobody believed that. Lots of political thought violated Twitter’s policies. As posted many times here Twitter had a different definition of shadowban than the one you’re using. They absolutely told people they deranked content (and Elon has said this will continue.)

🤔

Maybe people that are there now will work for free soon? Only thing is lawyer up honestly. Nothing outside of lawsuits makes Elon respond I feel (twitter purchase, solar roof price raises come to mind).

I agree with you there'd be less #$%^@ if some companies just do what they promised, but that's why we have lawsuits. Not paying rent? Maybe this is one of those unjust things he tweeted about (having to pay rent, cleaning crews, suppliers, fired employees). Paying any of those is unjust.

One thing that is often overlooked (or ignored) is that in the USA, employers have a huge amount of impact to normal low or middle class workers. Many folks are paycheck to paycheck… or maybe have a months of savings. It is rare for someone to be working in some corporate job and have a huge safety net of funds to fall on. The very wealthy like to make trite comments about how easy it is to save, but for most in a corporate environment, big savings are few and far between.

Also consider that healthcare is usually tied to the employer and COBRA is very expensive. There is a separate cohort of immigrants on visas, but that's a completely separate topic since a lot of folks view immigrants as second class citizens not worthy of the equal treatment experienced by naturalized Americans.

So yeah, Twitter employed a bunch of actual card-carrying Americans. And in America, there are a lot of layoffs and unfortunate events that result in large-scale severance and terminations. But here's the thing... most RIF (reduction in force) programs are carefully handled with some empathy since these RIF programs are executed by normal human beings who themselves could be facing a RIF down the road.

Elon treated the Twitter firings as a public spectacle. It's like he's on his own version of The Apprentice yelling "you're fired" to whoever he wants because it's funny to him and it's his company. His toy, his rules. Elon isn't a normal person... he has no need to worry about the problems normal people face. So when he terminated a bunch of people for not being "hardcore enough" or with some hastily assembled email-ultimatum, it's just a fun game to him. Unfortunately from what I've heard from former employees... Elon's company is not paying the agreed severance amounts and is causing an already crappy situation for those affected to be even worse.

Elon has a lot of supporters who are cheered him on as he went through this Twitter tirade. My advice to anyone reading this... do an introspection on what type of employer you work for. If your employer is an Elon apologist who likes the way Elon has handled himself and the Twitter firings, then you may be working for an a-hole. And of course, if you personally think you are "hardcore" to thrive in an a-hole environment, by all means... then you're in the right situation and in a perfect spot.

But for those that work for an a-hole... but aren't themselves aligned with a-hole thinking... there are a lot of good companies out there with employers that aren't complete psychopaths who lack empathy. Some folks like to use pejoratives to scare good folks away from finding a better environment to work in. Being called a snowflake or weak isn't going to hurt anybody. What does hurt a hard-working American is when some a-hole decides to do mass firings in a way that completely upends people's lives by not even honoring their severance agreements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.