TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Embarrassed By Falcon Wings Doors?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Sus, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Sus

Sus Member

Curious if anyone else thinks they might feel embarrassed using the falcon wing doors (looks too ostentatious). I'm a new mom so am excited about the prospect of getting my baby in and out more easily with these doors but am a bit concerned they might draw too much attention.

2. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

They will definitely draw attention because they're highly unusual, but if it's anything like my DeLorean, 99% of people will be wowed by them and their curiosity will be in the form of a childlike wonder. I wouldn't sweat it. :)

3. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

My wife is also worried that the doors are too showy...

4. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Active Member

#4 JohnSnowNW, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    I stopped caring what people think some time ago, so no, I'm not concerned. The fact is the doors will let me put my kids in their car seats more easily...and that's all that matters to me.

5. mwulff

mwulff Member

Imagine how embarrassed you will be when the doors open and flight mode is enabled via a software patch ;).

Just kidding, I wouldn't care for two seconds about what other people think. The falcon wing doors should vastly improve ingress/egress with a child, so just enjoy it :)

6. jdb

jdb Member

Better wear clothes that you are willing to be seen by others whenever you open the doors in parking lot or school or shopping area, guarantee that you will draw curious people. Good opportunity to make sales pitch and make new acquaintances, look at it as networking opportunity.

7. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

My wife felt odd driving the Roadster, and then the MS (less so) to work. It is a bit odd having cars like that at a non profit organization with a goal of helping the poor:scared:

She has had nothing but great responses.
    That said, being in Southern CA, I don't expect the X to be as unusual as it is out here in MN, or many other places.
    If you have a sig, it may be more of a splash than you want.

If anyone asks, just have your wife tell them about how much easier the doors make getting the kids into the car (assuming that is true).

8. kmtl

kmtl Member

Yes, they draw attention wether you want it or not. In Palo Alto I wouldn't worry... in Cincinnati I already have one kid who doesn't want to be picked up from school in my red MS.

9. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

When innovations appeared on the Big Three, by my recollection, they covered one another: quad headlights and swept back windshields, for instance. Fins too.
    That is, your car was not the only one with the new feature.
    Tesla has no fellow manufacturers and will be very conspicuous, even embarrassing.
    How likely is it that other companies come out with falcon-type doors? I think they will delay for maximum embarrassment.
    ~Larry

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I had always thought that the similarities were due to lack of imagination :)

11. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

#11 Mark Z, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    My only concern is if the beeping remains as heard during the prototype demonstrations. Click the photo to access the video and hear the sound.

21020385358_770749853d_z.jpg

One reason we won't need a roof vent could be those who are standing near the vehicle or are parked nearby with their engines running waiting for our return. "Can we see the Falcon Wings rise?" might be heard worldwide.

12. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

My kids are the opposite. They love it when I pick them up. It was a novelty for the teachers etc in the pick up lane for a bit but now it's no big deal.

13. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

That's what happens when you design, engineer and build a car in California ;). If the falcons weren't as functional as they are beautiful then I might agree. Once you see how easy they make getting in and out I think you won't care. Just my 2 cents

14. DougH

DougH Active Member

I wonder how they are going to hold up under constant use? and do you really have to get out and nudge them closed?

15. CarlK

CarlK Member

No I wouldn't. One reason is it does serve useful functions without looking dorky like a minivan door. If I'm not mistaken it opens even wider than the minivan sliding door.

That could be a safety feature, mandated or not, like the beep when you close the hatch. For that matter you can't defeat the hatch alarm.

16. kmtl

kmtl Member

Both kids absolutely love the car, but the one in public school Jr high doesn't want to be labeled as the rich kid...Jr high sucks.
    I kind of agree with him. In line with all the regular cars it does feel ostentatious, and I've never seen another one at any of the schools in our district.
    I think the falcon doors would feel even more like I'm flying too close to the sun.

17. yesup

yesup Member

My wife and my kids love the falcon wing doors. All of them are looking forward to riding in it to school.

18. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Sus, the first time you step up into the back and put your baby in its car seat comfortably while standing up, you will forget all about the idea of ostentation.

19. Sus

Sus Member

That's probably true. :)

20. eloder

eloder Member

I personally wouldn't worry about such things. I think generally you see more curiosity and wonderment from unique cars than you do disdain. You'll still get disdain from a few but that's like any vehicle. (Personally, being able to fit in miniscule parking spots in my smart car always got plenty of attention in my city).