Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Emergency lane assist doing my head in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's your point? I'm 99% sure that even on a single track road if you use the turn signal, the car won't complain when it thinks you are leaving your lane because it will understand that it is intentional.

Sure, you might confuse the other drivers, but your car will be happy.

I agree Tesla should fix whatever bug is causing the off setting to not stick. I'm just saying that using your turn signal is a better solution than taping a photograph in front of the cars camera.

Just following up on this, I drive in the US a lot and there aren't so many roads like this there (except in country songs). Many of my leftpondian friends that come over to Scotland get spooked by roads like this, but in a nice car with good observation and control, they are wonderful to drive on. OK, on a blind bend you have to slow to 10mph or less and sound your horn, but when it opens up, it's amazing! I don't want my car bleeping and stressing when I'm trying to enjoy it (I get my M3P next week so no experience of what it does), though I would of course like the option on highways and "real" roads.

Point is, there are no other drivers in this scenario (and if there are you drive to that), and of course the photo-in-front-of-camera is a joke ;)

Reactions: CyberGus
Im just grateful it gives an option for warning rather than straight corrective action. I test drove an e Niro and the default is corrective steering, nearly threw me into oncoming traffic on a number of occasions. Thankfully haven’t actually had any issues in the 5 months I’ve had the tesla.

So as AP disable-able? I didn't go for FSD because I don't need it, but so far I also haven't had (or have had but permanently switched off) lane departure warning in other cars which is (IMHO) completely unsuitable and even downright dangerous for rural roads where direct control of the car without distraction is imperative. And you will depart your lane. Often.

Last edited:
So as AP disable-able? I didn't go for FSD because I don't need it, but so far I also haven't had (or have had but permanently switched off) lane departure warning in other cars which is (IMHO) completely unsuitable and even downright dangerous for rural roads where direct control of the car is imperative.
The options I have for lane departure warning are
Off
Warning
Assist

seems I have it to off now, but I had previously had it to warning. Might explain why I don’t have issues. Have had the message come up when in auto steer/tacc, but never felt any corrective steering.

• Informative
Reactions: M3PScot
image.jpg
it’s possible to turn it off...

• Informative
Reactions: M3PScot
Off
Warning
Assist

seems I have it to off now, but I had previously had it to warning. Might explain why I don’t have issues. Have had the message come up when in auto steer/tacc, but never felt any corrective steering.

OK, looks cool:

Off - would be my desired default, in most local driving situations.
Warning - would probably enable this on a long (highway/motorway) journey. Nice to have.
Assist - Not my preference.

Are these choices permanent? I have an ICE car rn which has a button to disable auto engine shutoff at rest. It's burned into my hindbrain to switch it off at ignition (can't have it set to be an opt-in at ignition otherwise I would). I might leave it on in cities (which is what it's for) but I almost never drive in cities.

Last edited:
It is not possible to turn it off permanently. I suffer from the same issue as OP, rural small roads, lane departure will go off randomly sometimes not even in a passing space etc. on probably 9 out of 10 trips. If you disable the option, while in Easy Entry or while on the move in your profile it will be re-enabled on next drive.

Yeah, like this, we have lots of these in Scotland :)

View attachment 572967
Please tell me it's possible to switch off lane departure warning, I "straighten the curves" all the time including being on the "wrong" side of the road often, because it's safer to do so (avoiding potholes and ragged road edges) on many roads around here. With good forward and rear visibility, obvs.

You did well to find a straight one!

But that is boring compared to the other suggestion
Erm no. it doesn't make any sense as.... the roads we are talking about dont have lane markings. It can go off whenever using a passing space as in the picture posted by another user... I assume you aren't suggesting i flick my indicators every 10 to 20 seconds on my journey?

Off
Warning
Assist

That is the wrong setting you are looking at.

That one is adjustable and saves.... the one that causes the issue is the next setting down "emergency lane departure"

This is the setting which you need to disable each and every time you restart start the car.

Yeah, like this, we have lots of these in Scotland :)

View attachment 572967
Please tell me it's possible to switch off lane departure warning, I "straighten the curves" all the time including being on the "wrong" side of the road often, because it's safer to do so (avoiding potholes and ragged road edges) on many roads around here. With good forward and rear visibility, obvs.

Your just spoiled.:D
My single track roads are narrower, have high hedges, blind corners, a mud patch (if lucky) to pull into and random stray sheep as well as on-coming tractors.

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
You're just not trying hard enough to solve this issue..:D
Don't worry... sorted it.

I just drive in reverse all the time now. The nice big reverse camera is very effective and I don't get lane departure warnings anymore!

It only causes issues when i get confused what way to turn the wheel / set my indicators when overtaking.... but practice makes perfect.

Result. Thanks Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: Neilio and Sparkeur