Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

End XX Speed Limit Signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in New York (perhaps everywhere?) you'll sometimes come across speed limit signs that do not tell you what the speed is but rather what the speed limit is no longer (as I do every day on my commute). For example, you're on a 45mph road and it changes to 55mph but the sign says "end 45mph" rather than 55mph. The car doesn't seem to understand this and "reads" the sign as 45mph. This is especially annoying while on Autopilot as the car will only do 5mph over the limit if the limit is less than 55mph (or at least that's how it seems). Anyone have a similar experience? Is there a workaround?

Reactions: davidc18
The speed limit sign reader is known to be far from perfect. It routinely reads highway/route number signs as speed limits if they're
plausible speed limits (e.g., multiples of 5). It is also not at all clear what other stuff can and can't appear on the same sign and still
have it be recognized as a speed limit.

I encountered some of these last week and the car seemed to understand it correctly. Maybe it's a lighting or sign style difference.

In any case, if the car misreads the speed limit and limits Autopilot speed, the workaround is to use the accelerator to manually go faster, or turn off Autosteer, steer manually, and let TACC manage your speed. Unfortunately you'll have to pick one or the other until the car correctly picks up the speed limit again.

Just in case y'all ever visit historic Trenton, TN...
TNTRE31mph_boyles_620x300.jpg

That's for real, applies to the entire metro (if you could call it that) area...

I don't get it. If you're going to take the time to erect the sign, why not just put one up that tells you exactly what the speed limit is so there is no guessing?
I Can think of a couple of reasons: Sometimes, the "end" sign is chosen to socially engineer people to drive closer to 55. The other reason has to do with implied speed limit laws. In Michigan, at least, the implied speed limit is determined by the average spacing of buildings on a road -- if the spacing is sparse, the implied limit is 55, otherwise it's 25. If a regular speed limit sign was put up, it would override the implied speed limit on a stretch that should be 25, thus depriving the sheriff of much-valued ticket revenue. :p

Personally, I also think counties should pop to put up speed limit signs every time it changes, but that would be an awful lot of signs down some very low-traffic roads, so I can see why they want to avoid doing that.