Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still entirely convince Enhanced Summon is of little practical value, and absolutely none for me.

But I’ll tell it was like a Christmas present opening flashback trying it out. The, well maybe you could call it “entertainment value”, is 10 of 10. This truly took me by surprise.

Not ready to try it out anywhere less than a car length from other vehicles/obstacles, yet.
Totally agree that enhanced/smart Summon is of little practical use, for now. I’m hoping that they’ll continue to develop it though from here to mirror what we all saw in the 2016 FSD video and the FSD video earlier this year. The other features of V10 are pretty cool, especially the rear camera dashcam addition, sentry, music, and visual improvements.

I'm a huge fan of Smart Summon (and all the other v10 features), but as we've seen (and already knew) it does have its issues. Here's a test yesterday that could have ended in a disaster. Or who knows, maybe the car would have stopped, but I wasn't willing to chance it.

Unfortunately I only have the Blackvue footage because my buddy who was supposed to be filming had it in picture mode. o_O

We tried it on the other side of the median first and it worked really well. It was my buddy's brilliant idea to try and stump the car by standing on the parking side of the median. Go figure.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I still believe releasing was a mistake and Tesla should have waited. While fun to play with it is NOT ready for prime time or human (other drivers) interaction. Went to parking lot and on the side with less cars and traffic. Parked at Red star and Summoned to Blue star. Model 3 backed out and started following Orange line. Then car pulls in behind my Model 3. It gets to curve and started to round curb and then stops (White block) at an angle blocking all lanes. Person is stopped behind it just laying down on their horn. Can't really blame them since the Model 3 was driving "ignorant" and stopped at the worst possible place. But still funny that they were honking at a car that can't hear. Still a weird feeling that I was in control and blocking traffic like a fool. Looked and it said Summon Complete . Yea right. So ran towards car but they managed to pass on the wrong side/right without hitting it.

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 6.04.44 PM.png

I still believe releasing was a mistake and Tesla should have waited. While fun to play with it is NOT ready for prime time or human (other drivers) interaction. Went to parking lot and on the side with less cars and traffic. Parked at Red star and Summoned to Blue star. Model 3 backed out and started following Orange line. Then car pulls in behind my Model 3. It gets to curve and started to round curb and then stops (White block) at an angle blocking all lanes. Person is stopped behind it just laying down on their horn. Can't really blame them since the Model 3 was driving "ignorant" and stopped at the worst possible place. But still funny that they were honking at a car that can't hear. Still a weird feeling that I was in control and blocking traffic like a fool. Looked and it said Summon Complete . Yea right. So ran towards car but they managed to pass on the wrong side/right without hitting it.

View attachment 460290
yes, and Interesting... one reason why the release notes say it is not to be used in this situation. Maybe you should walk up to the other car as ask them do they know they are honking at a car with no one in it :D

Come to me and standing at blue star. I just think it couldn't see a path to get closer or......???? Also I have an iPhone XS and use GPS all the time.

now that you mention it, the wife asked me "Why does the app have a "Come to Me" button active when I am in the living room and the car is in the garage? Shouldn't it know that I am less than 20 feet away and at home, and not allow that? Is it going to come through the wall?" hmmm, she stumped me. And then she asked... "Why is that button right in the center of the app? What if I forget to close the app an accidentally lean on that button?" again, valid point I guess. Maybe Tesla doesn't think about these situations and refine the GUI before releasing it.

"Smart Summon is only intended for use in private parking lots and driveways". It looked to me like it was being used in a public lot. Maybe I misunderstand the location? and agree, it is not ready from prime time.

What do you consider a private vs. public lot? I would assume that public is owner by the government and private is not.

"Smart Summon is only intended for use in private parking lots and driveways". It looked to me like it was being used in a public lot. Maybe I misunderstand the location? and agree, it is not ready from prime time.
I think it means privately owned parking lots which it is. In many jurisdictions you can't be ticketed for driving violations in privately owned lots but you can be ticketed in publicly owned (city, county, state, federal) lots. I assume that's why they say private parking lots. Now, if that parking lot was actually moderately busy you would definitely be violating the instructions to keep the vehicle and its surroundings in sight at all times.
It seems like they should also have a warning not to use it in lots with one way aisles.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
What do you consider a private vs. public lot? I would assume that public is owner by the government and private is not.
Great question Mike. I guess the answer is what does Tesla consider to be private vs public? It isn't fully clear. :D My interpretation is probably wrong, but when I read the phrase, it meant I'm not supposed to be using it in a place that I don't own and has a lot of activity. I guess it is technically accurate to use it in an area like a Walmart parking lot if it is "privately" owned by Walmart. lt would be nice for Tesla to make that statement less ambiguous. Kind of like "Joe mode". Wife says what the hell is that?

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
I was only able to try enhanced summon once. The car ended up stalling in the middle of the parking lot. I waited 10 seconds but nothing happen so I ended up running to my car.

Now I'm getting "An issue was encountered when reading camera data" in the app and can no longer do enhanced summon. I've hard rebooted my car but the same thing still happens. I did a car wash to clean off anything that might be obstructing the vision but still no go. Standard summon still works.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this?

I luv this update yes Summons is not perfect if your looking for near perfect you will be waiting a couple of years has autopilot improve from the initial release Yes. As will summons, know what your car is able to do and not do at your own risk. We dont need an increase of knuckle heads crashing there car and in turn increase our insurance rates.

Summon. SUMMON. S-U-M-M-O-N. A summons is legal paperwork. Summon is to beckon your vehicle to you. Sommon.

Exact same thing happened to my wife 5 years ago. Interesting if Tesla could implement a really quick avoidance structure...floor it to get past? honk? back up? I'm sure it saw it coming as is evidenced by the Tesla stopping. It's pretty hard to avoid someone just straight up not looking and backing into you.

Surely it would be better to stop when a vehicle begins to reverse into your predicted path. But that feature obviously isn't implemented, even though it's the most common scenario in a parking lot.

This was very nearly the situation I was in. I used an empty section of a parking lot, and intentionally summoned to a location that would require the car to either run over a curb or drive around it, and the car almost drove over the curb while driving around it. It took the turn way too tight, and paused for 5-10 seconds while deciding what to do.

path.png

I parked at the green dot and stood at the red dot. The car backed up as expected, drove the long way around the island, and was an inch or two from driving up over the curb where the orange arrow is. These are the kinds of situations that lead me to believe that the vision system isn't actually being used as we'd expect during summon. At least not on HW 2.5 cars. It seems much more like the car is driving with radar and ultrasonics, and maybe the front camera for pedestrian detection. Maybe. But given if you approach the car from more than 45 degrees off center it doesn't react to you, it could either be the radar, ultrasonics, or the narrow FOV camera that gets recorded for sentry mode.

• Informative
Reactions: whatthe2
Summon. SUMMON. S-U-M-M-O-N. A summons is legal paperwork. Summon is to beckon your vehicle to you. Sommon.

Surely it would be better to stop when a vehicle begins to reverse into your predicted path. But that feature obviously isn't implemented, even though it's the most common scenario in a parking lot.

This was very nearly the situation I was in. I used an empty section of a parking lot, and intentionally summoned to a location that would require the car to either run over a curb or drive around it, and the car almost drove over the curb while driving around it. It took the turn way too tight, and paused for 5-10 seconds while deciding what to do.

View attachment 460361
I parked at the green dot and stood at the red dot. The car backed up as expected, drove the long way around the island, and was an inch or two from driving up over the curb where the orange arrow is. These are the kinds of situations that lead me to believe that the vision system isn't actually being used as we'd expect during summon. At least not on HW 2.5 cars. It seems much more like the car is driving with radar and ultrasonics, and maybe the front camera for pedestrian detection. Maybe. But given if you approach the car from more than 45 degrees off center it doesn't react to you, it could either be the radar, ultrasonics, or the narrow FOV camera that gets recorded for sentry mode.

Nah its using all 8 cameras, it just has rudimentary driving policy, that's why it makes stupid mistakes. Plus the fact that there are errors in its vision perception NN.

If it wasn't using cameras and only used radar with ultrasonics then this would be the result.