Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon latest video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the meantime, I’ll keep my $6k thank you.

Yup that was the main reason I linked that video up there.
With the impending 1k increase, make that $7k that I just saved.
That said, some features that were standard part of tesla ap, are now bundled as a part of , which sucks.
Still, paying 6k or 7k for FSD .. is so not worth it.

The enhanced summon for what it is, is remarkable, but not ready for real world use.

How will this not be a legal liability for Tesla & owners?
It’s like FSD. In theory (and Tesla’s ideal world), all responsibility is pushed on the owner.

In reality, the parents of the first child that gets killed by a Tesla when the NN can’t identify the kid and rolls over it on a parking lot, will sue everyone (Tesla, insurance companies, Wal*Mart (if it happened on their parking lot), etc...) and this forum will be full of posts about how idiotic people are who use Enhanced Summon on a busy lot without an NSA satellite feed monitoring it from outer space.

Reactions: ElectricEel
If this is unusable. How will self driving be usable?

They're similar.

Tesla cars rely on optics for data. You can already navigate lanes on the highway because it recognizes lane markers and has a degree of AI on how to behave in those lanes.

It's not unreasonable to assume that eventually these cars will "hug the right" in parking lots, not drive over empty parking spots, etc... once it recognizes and acts upon those spots. All it's doing right now is just pathfinding to your summon spot with no regard to anything except physical obstacles - curbs, other cars, pedestrians. It's good, but not practical. It also parks without any regard for real life. No one would ever pick up someone else that way.

Yup that was the main reason I linked that video up there.
With the impending 1k increase, make that $7k that I just saved.
That said, some features that were standard part of tesla ap, are now bundled as a part of , which sucks.
Still, paying 6k or 7k for FSD .. is so not worth it.

The enhanced summon for what it is, is remarkable, but not ready for real world use.

This is flawed logic really. The buyer needs to consider this in the form of potential savings.

For example, I believe that Enhanced Summon might eventually work to my satisfaction. Is that worth 6k? Let's assume a "yes" here. So why would I wait until it's 8k to buy it? (full disclosure: enhanced summon is only one piece of the full 6k here, but I'm just theorizing for sake of argument)

The other consideration there is how long you intend to keep the car... so if you don't believe it'll work within 2 years, and you plan on selling the car in 2 years, then clearly there's no point either.

Also the bundled autopilot features still cost money. They're not included with the SR, only the SR+. It's not free, just not a line-item choice anymore.

Last edited:
Found this on youtube uploaded today, this looks pretty close to what will be released as enhanced summon

What do you think? Is this usable in real world scenarios in most common parking lots around you?
Would you use enhanced summon vs. walk over to your Model 3?

Normally, I'd walk. When I was recovering from my back injury and walking with a cane, I would have summoned. Summon is quicker and less painful and less exhausting.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
@Kognos .. Tesla’s warranty is 4 years and the car is very expensive to own after that (matter of probability of course). So assume an ownership life of 5 years.

So the question is, if you had 6k/7k/8k laying around,

- would you rather buy Tesla stock or
- would you rather buy FSD?

@MentalNomad - certainly, and I am sure each of these technologies really benefit certain people. Autopilot for instance is great when you don't have great vision, or don't feel confident driving at night. No arguments there. But for a person who has no motility issues, which is majority of the audience, is this worth $7k?

@Kognos .. Tesla’s warranty is 4 years and the car is very expensive to own after that (matter of probability of course). So assume an ownership life of 5 years.

So the question is, if you had 6k/7k/8k laying around,

- would you rather buy Tesla stock or
- would you rather buy FSD?

It only matters when I choose (not you) to sell the car vs the cost of ownership. I typically intend to keep my cars for 10 years. The "expensive to own after 5 years" is very subjective, dependent on a lot of factors including the quality of the car, the parts, etc. Tesla cars have less moving parts and as such have a greater lifespan, in general. Battery is the only slight wildcard but even the older batteries are proving very good for lifespan.

I think you're implying that I should generally invest my money instead of getting FSD, right? Not necessarily Tesla stock, but somewhere where that money appreciates? That's fair, but then again I have to give up that money, and then hope it actually appreciates at the same rate that the cost of FSD increases. Meanwhile I'm still 6k poorer, and I'm still with less features that would be immediately available to me, had I just gotten FSD at the cheaper price.

That's what I'm getting at. You're advocating a gamble no matter what. I'm supporting the point that if you already want FSD and are willing to spend 6k and can have the car in a reasonable length of time, why gamble anything. I drive every day and can use facets of the available technology today, and can enjoy it as it improves. For everyone out there who enjoys Autopilot or Lanekeeping, etc ... they're basically doing the same thing. It's not done, it's still a work in progress that we can use with its own quirks and limitations.

It's a fair argument however has risks either way. I'm risk averse - I'd rather spend the 6k on a known quantity (development notwithstanding) than take that 6k and move it into an unknown quantity, esp given that I have many more years on this car. That's just me.

None of the above. I bought tesla stock and I got screwed in the rear. Just like how I bought EAP.
I bought Tesla stock for less than a minute and Elon made me over $10k. Remember when he got sued by the SEC? I bought 200 shares in the last 15 secs on that Friday, and Elon settled on Saturday, and I sold at the open on Monday. I only had the money because that was also when Tesla sent out that text blast to people with orders, to prepare to take delivery in the next few days. I realized it was a joke after I had already gotten the money ready, so I bought the shares instead. Thanks, Elon, always be crazy!

Reactions: ChrML
I bought Tesla stock for less than a minute and Elon made me over $10k. Remember when he got sued by the SEC? I bought 200 shares in the last 15 secs on that Friday, and Elon settled on Saturday, and I sold at the open on Monday. I only had the money because that was also when Tesla sent out that text blast to people with orders, to prepare to take delivery in the next few days. I realized it was a joke after I had already gotten the money ready, so I bought the shares instead. Thanks, Elon, always be crazy!
Goes both ways. I once bought shares right before he smoked pot on that radio show, causing it to drop instantly like 40$/share.

I have watched all the enhanced summon videos and this version is definitely an improvement. I was worried about previous versions but I can deal with this beta version.

It may not be useful in all cases at this time. It will require user to scan the parking lot and think a bit to make best judgement for the car before use, and watch your car while in use. This video makes me believe there will definitely be progress now.

I’m just trying to meet my car in front of my house as my garage is in the back. There isn’t many cars around so this should work. Haha.

So what happens if you’re using this and someone backs out of a space and hits your car? Does it stop and alert you? Or does it just keep driving?

Honestly, while technically cool, it's kind of a douche feature. Waiting at the curb for your self driving car to, slowly, come get you while potentially annoying other drivers and pedestrians, just seems douchey.
guess that why we should back into parking space.....hehehehe

I’ll be the “douche” then, since I’ll use it when I take my 90 yr old wheelchair-bound mom to and from the hospital. The disabled parking is a surprising distance from the hospital entrance and it’s very windy being up on an exposed hill. With bad winter weather, this could be a huge help in getting my mom back into the car in a reasonable way.

That’s not douchey at all, it's a practical case. I was referring more to the 30 something standing at the curb at Target while their car crawled it's way to pick them up instead of them walking a few extra yards and just getting in.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
Tesla cars have less moving parts and as such have a greater lifespan, in general.
Tesla's are pretty darned unreliable, despite fewer moving parts. And when things do go awry, good luck with their service. When you do get through their service, good luck with the heart attack once you see the bill. It's just opinions, but I've owned Teslas since 2012, 3 of them, trust me, I know ;-). A damned door handle on the S was $1000 a piece, which is frankly a defective part if it goes out every 2 years.

Thanks, Elon, always be crazy!
Generically speaking, that's seeking alpha, and the general adage applies, high risk, high again. However, Elon's funding secured tweet was ~ 1 year ago, and his price was $420. Tesla's stock since has gone from $380 to $235, while the stock market has gone up. If the rising tide didn't lift this boat, honestly, there are safer ways to seek alpha. I don't think Tesla as a company will go bankrupt etc. Between Europe and China, and plenty of 20 year olds fascinated by Tesla, they will continue to sell cars. But it's an investment whose risk doesn't justify the reward.

But if you didn't sell your shares you didn't lose anything. I'm long on TSLA. I've gotten used to big fluctuations.
This is a classic excuse I hear all the time to account losses. Unrealized losses, are worse than realized losses, since you can't write off unrealized losses on your taxes and you cannot put your money to work on something that makes you money. Bulls make money, bears make money, hogs get squashed. Every dollar I have is my employee, it works hard for me, and if I have money stuck in a loss making endeavor, no matter the explanation, a loss, is a loss.

Reactions: ChrML
@MentalNomad - certainly, and I am sure each of these technologies really benefit certain people. Autopilot for instance is great when you don't have great vision, or don't feel confident driving at night. No arguments there. But for a person who has no motility issues, which is majority of the audience, is this worth $7k?

1. If Advanced Summon were the only feature in the $7k price, you could be right. But it's not, so you are wrong.

2. I believe you mean mobility issues. "Motility" refers to sperm. I have no idea how many Tesla drivers have good swimmers, but I believe about half of drivers have none.

• Funny
Generically speaking, that's seeking alpha, and the general adage applies, high risk, high again. However, Elon's funding secured tweet was ~ 1 year ago, and his price was $420. Tesla's stock since has gone from $380 to $235, while the stock market has gone up. If the rising tide didn't lift this boat, honestly, there are safer ways to seek alpha. I don't think Tesla as a company will go bankrupt etc. Between Europe and China, and plenty of 20 year olds fascinated by Tesla, they will continue to sell cars. But it's an investment whose risk doesn't justify the reward.
I never intended to invest in Tesla, as you say, it's a high-risk that doesn't justify the reward. I just saw an unusual opportunity, an arbitrage in my opinion, that made a quick trade possible, all thanks to Elon's flaky behavior.