Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I very disappointed that Tesla didn't address in the Model 3 design, the security flaw from the Model S that allows thieves, to break the small rear side window and reach in and unlatch the seat folding latch, allowing access to the trunk.

I'm going on a cross country road trip in my Model 3 and it won't be practical to remove all the contents of my trunk every evening when staying at motels/hotels. The car should have a more secure trunk.

Seems like a great opportunity for the aftermarket accessory vendors.
Has anyone figured out a hack to fix this venerability?

Would it be possible to change that back glass to a different material like Lexan? This way it would thwart the thieves attempts from the beginning. Any other fix would still have the thief break the back glass only to find out the seats have been locked or otherwise prevented from access.

I very disappointed that Tesla didn't address in the Model 3 design, the security flaw from the Model S that allows thieves, to break the small rear side window and reach in and unlatch the seat folding latch, allowing access to the trunk.

I'm going on a cross country road trip in my Model 3 and it won't be practical to remove all the contents of my trunk every evening when staying at motels/hotels. The car should have a more secure trunk.

Seems like a great opportunity for the aftermarket accessory vendors.
Has anyone figured out a hack to fix this venerability?

You realized that this is a vulnerability in most cars right? A hack is to leave the seat back down and show your trunk is empty, likewise a child seat makes things difficult.

As a general rule, you shouldn't keep valuables in your trunk when staying at hotels.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I wonder if there is an aftermarket solution opportunity to this, could the latching mechanism be replaced with one that has a keyed lock on it? not sure if it could be done or what it cost to come up with something like this or if there would be a large enough market for it?

I wonder if there is an aftermarket solution opportunity to this, could the latching mechanism be replaced with one that has a keyed lock on it? not sure if it could be done or what it cost to come up with something like this or if there would be a large enough market for it?
Problem is that unless the lock is VERY obvious, the thieves will not notice it and still smash the little window expecting it to work like in a stock Model 3.

I wish Tesla had placed the release handles in the trunk. I had this in my previous car and it was not only more secure but also more convenient IMO. It would also make the valet mode more useful if the trunk couldn't be accessed from inside the car.

I'm guessing nothing really works but we were told that signs help deter house breakins (some)

51EAitCGe%2BL.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Would it be possible to change that back glass to a different material like Lexan? This way it would thwart the thieves attempts from the beginning. Any other fix would still have the thief break the back glass only to find out the seats have been locked or otherwise prevented from access.
Sure, if you replace the small back glass with something like Lexan, then no other window would be a candidate for breaking, right? No, really, what are you going to do about the other glass?

Reactions: davedavedave
The reason this is being considered a Tesla flaw by some (myself included) is that a lot of cars do not allow folding the seats from the cabin. You have to open the trunk and the release to fold the seat is located in there. I always thought it was done this way so that if you give the car to a valet or something, they won't be able to open the trunk, however, this appears to be another reason to do it this way.

Sure, if you replace the small back glass with something like Lexan, then no other window would be a candidate for breaking, right? No, really, what are you going to do about the other glass?

Not sure if you got the reason for my suggestion. The back window of the Model 3 provides easy access for theives to do an initial screening on your car. If they can see what’s in the trunk without opening a door or setting off an alarm it buys them valuable time. That’s a key attribute that makes this car an easy target in Cali. People see a Tesla and an easy way to case your car without drawing any attention and they think it’s low risk for getting caught. By making that window Lexan they won’t be able to break it to see inside the trunk. Hopefully they just move on to another car. Of course if they really want to see in the trunk then they will break the door window but that puts it in the same category of every other car.

The reason this is being considered a Tesla flaw by some (myself included) is that a lot of cars do not allow folding the seats from the cabin. You have to open the trunk and the release to fold the seat is located in there. I always thought it was done this way so that if you give the car to a valet or something, they won't be able to open the trunk, however, this appears to be another reason to do it this way.

Really? I've seen cars where the seat has to be unlocked from the cabin with a key, but haven't seen a truck release.

Not sure if you got the reason for my suggestion. The back window of the Model 3 provides easy access for theives to do an initial screening on your car. If they can see what’s in the trunk without opening a door or setting off an alarm it buys them valuable time. That’s a key attribute that makes this car an easy target in Cali. People see a Tesla and an easy way to case your car without drawing any attention and they think it’s low risk for getting caught. By making that window Lexan they won’t be able to break it to see inside the trunk. Hopefully they just move on to another car. Of course if they really want to see in the trunk then they will break the door window but that puts it in the same category of every other car.
Ma'am, I don't think you understand that if they can't break the little glass, they can just as simply break a side door window. Do you honestly think that if they can't break a small window that they are going to just give up and move to another car? P-l-e-a-s-e. :)

Really? I've seen cars where the seat has to be unlocked from the cabin with a key, but haven't seen a truck release.

My BMW 550i had the release for the back seat in the trunk. My Nissan Maxima is like the Tesla with the release on the top of the seat in the passenger compartment. Don't know why every car doesnt have the release in the trunk. Just makes sense to me.

Reactions: OutofPocket
The Model 3 is intended to directly compete with luxury sedans including the BMW 3-series, Mercedes C-class, and Audi A3/A4.
As can be seen below, they all offer lockable security to access the trunk...can't just break a window. Tesla fell short here.
Rear seat fold BMW 3 series - trunk mounted latch
Rear seat fold Audi A4 - key lockable interior latch
Rear seat fold Mercedes C-class - trunk mounted latch

So where's the factory or aftermarket fix to lock the latch?

+1!

I think that's what the Enhanced Anti-Theft System is meant to address... although that's not available for the Model 3 (yet).

This system is about detection, not prevention. The best possible result is your window will still be broken but it may scare them off from rooting around. It would be better to not give them a reason to even consider breaking the window by not putting the release there.

Status
Not open for further replies.