Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epidemic of Model 3 small window break-ins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_6505.jpeg
I was feeling left out so I got mine smashed too. Middle of Day in Santa Clara (12:30), directly in front of Nob Hill entrance. Many witnesses, but they did it anyway.IMG_6505.jpeg

View attachment 361313 I was feeling left out so I got mine smashed too. Middle of Day in Santa Clara (12:30), directly in front of Nob Hill entrance. Many witnesses, but they did it anyway.View attachment 361313

So sorry to hear that. Hope you can keep it covered and dry as I understand all or most of Bay area will be getting what could be heavy rain for some on Sunday. Did they take anything from the car? Also curious if you had one or both of your back seats down. We got hit once in our MS and really don't want to go through this again.

Is that by Calif Pizza Kitchen?

I ended up ordering a pair of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B010HWCS50/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Video of it here:

My windows are tinted so hopefully the decal will not be as noticeable. Not sure if this will help but hopefully it will be somewhat of a deterrent, if not before the break the window, then maybe as they are trying to break it

This is interesting. Have you tried it out yourself yet? Wondering if simply shutting the door sets it off? And the earlier point about music makes me wonder about that too.

Before going through your insurance, I'd get a quote from the service center on replacing the glass. If it's only a few hundred just pay out of pocket... why make your rates go up over a small claim?

This would be covered under comprehensive so might not raise your rate. I had a $17000 engine hydrolock claim with progressive and my rate didn't change at all - though this was my first ever claim so not sure how much frequency of claims changes rates.

how much would be the approximate price for the labor and mirror replacement ?
my insurance deductible is $1000

For many insurance companies, the deductible on comprehensive has a minimal impact on your rate. I used to have $1500 deductible comprehensive up until my Tesla and after doing some more research, going from $1500 to $200 only raised my rate by maybe $3 a month.

All,

Apologize for the long post in advance but need to bring awareness to fellow Model 3 owners.

Didn’t want this to be my first post but unfortunately it is. I know I’m not the 1st person to experience this and many on this forum and out there going through this pain. Nothing was left out in car visibly but car was broken into at AMC Saratoga 14 (San Jose, Ca) parking lot on 12/12/18 between 6:35-8:35 pm. Back pack stolen from trunk and I was parked 10 spots from front of theater so these are pros. Had lot of personal info and electronics stolen. According to AMC staff this happens often in front and back of theaters. Lack of Security in lots are an issue but know design flaw of this car is as well. Criminals out there already know the rear seat latch has no lock (have this on VW, Audi, MB) once they get to it. Plus alarm does not sound when windows are broken.

Elon/Tesla have already come up with a solution by making available an option of motion-sensing Enhanced Anti-Theft system for Model S, Model X. We need this too and have locks for the rear seat latch! Should also add flashing the exterior lights too to draw attention to those hanging out of your car with your belongings.

Tesla adds motion-sensing Enhanced Anti-Theft system for Model S, Model X

For now, I’m wondering when the next time I’ll be targeted again.

Glass repair person says business for him has been great as he gets many Tesla customers weekly, more than any other car maker. He thinks there is a professional ring(s) out there just targeting Tesla’s. Told me to leave back seat down so criminals can see nothing is inside. Makes sense, but why should I or anyone else have to do this?? Never any issue with other 5 cars I’ve owned. But for now doing as he says as I don’t want to pay another deductible. Maybe if we all email Tesla management our voices will be heard.

Please be safe and wary of your surroundings out there and let’s watch out for one another. Too late for me but hoping this bring attention to other Model 3 owners.

Thanks

Thanks for posting OP.

But I would bet 99% of owners never lock their rear seat. I know I never did in cars that had it. I would bet most don't and crooks would know that. Many cars don't have motion sensing alarms or alarm when glass is broken.

So I'm a little curious why Tesla's would be more targeted.

And I'm all for an enhanced alarm option and adding an option to lock the rear seat. But I'm questioning the stats.

Maybe Tesla owners are high probably targets of owning expensive other resalable electronic gadgets in their car.

I don't think the Model 3 looks any more expensive than say an Audi or Lexus.

Reactions: tracksyde and Jivas
Also write your representatives in state legislature. There’s no downside to getting caught for the thieves, and the police aren’t doing much because even if they catch these wastes of oxygen, they aren’t going to jail.

...and stop leaving valuables in the car.
Actually, the longer sentences are needed as a deterrence is a myth.

The thing is, criminals don't think of the time in jail when they're committing a crime. They don't think they'll get caught.

The only people who think of the time in jail are white collar criminals, and they get the lightest sentences if they're caught...even though financial crimes will ruin more lives of other people than other crimes.

I'm not quite sure how this is considered a design flaw...but I am sorry you were the victim of a break in.

If a locked trunk isn't really locked because you can access without defeating a lock. It's a design flaw. BMW, Audi, and Mercedes got it right, by having trunk mounted seat release or lockable latches. It's not like this wasn't a known problem for years with the similarly flawed design model S. No excuse for Tesla.

The inability to lock the back seats and putting the release handle adjacent to the rear quarter window is a MAJOR security issue. I too had the small quarter window broken into on a loaner Model S while my Model 3 was in service and the way Tesla builds the cars you have to replace the entire surrounding trim when replacing that tiny piece of glass which is a HUGE part of the repair costs.

Actually, the longer sentences are needed as a deterrence is a myth.

The thing is, criminals don't think of the time in jail when they're committing a crime. They don't think they'll get caught.

The only people who think of the time in jail are white collar criminals, and they get the lightest sentences if they're caught...even though financial crimes will ruin more lives of other people than other crimes.

I'm not talking about as a deterrence. I'm talking about so these pieces of garbage sit in a cell and rot instead of doing it over and over and over and over and over and over.

Thank you, prop 47.

Status
Not open for further replies.