Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU CCS Charging: chargespeed & stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

robertvg

Extremely Well-Known Member
Journalists testing the Model 3 in Netherlands on a Fastned CCS charger: up to 75kW.
But this station was limited in power because it didn't have a liquid cooled cable, apparently (much?) higher power should be possible. We are eagerly awaiting results from other charging station :)

upload_2019-1-30_16-24-46.png

I'm so confused. Isn't this almost exactly the same charging curve as a regular 120kW supercharger?
Also this appears to be measured at the charger instead of the car which could account for the few percent difference.

Yep, makes me wondering as well.

IF this is the maximum charge rate a model 3 can do, then upgrading the superchargers to a "version 3" shouldn't make charging more time efficient for model 3 owners.

Guess it shouldn't be true; but IF this isn't the maximum charge rate a model 3 can do, then it could be Tesla is artificially lowering the max. charge rate on third party networks.

Maybe i miss some options, i'm not that smart...

I have followed a few of the Model 3 tear-downs and they say the internal 3 cabling is capable of more kw than the S/X. The EPA also says the 3 can take 500ish amps. I feel it is very likely that the European Model 3 are "only" hitting 120kw as a result of a software limitation that will be removed at some point.

The graph shown above also looks like it would "naturally" have a higher peak, rather than a plateau that just tanks. To me this also suggests the 3 can take 120kw+ all the way from 0% to somewhere in the mid 40% range. The 18650 packs have a much more gradual looking taper.

You Think The Tesla Model 3 Supercharges Fast Now? Just Wait ...

• Love
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I have followed a few of the Model 3 tear-downs and they say the internal 3 cabling is capable of more kw than the S/X. The EPA also says the 3 can take 500ish amps. I feel it is very likely that the European Model 3 are "only" hitting 120kw as a result of a software limitation that will be removed at some point.

The graph shown above also looks like it would "naturally" have a higher peak, rather than a plateau that just tanks. To me this also suggests the 3 can take 120kw+ all the way from 0% to somewhere in the mid 40% range. The 18650 packs have a much more gradual looking taper.

Yep, you have to remember that these are 150kW/175kW CCS stations, and their maximum rate is usually calculated at 500v. So they are capped at 300A/350A. And if you figure that the Model 3 tops out at ~405v that would give it a maximum charge rate of 121kW/141kW. But of course when the voltage is that high the charge is limited. So that means that the 126kW charge rate was probably achieved when the pack was at about 360 volts.

The real test will be when someone takes a Model 3 to a 350kW CCS2 charge station that tops out at 500A. Then we will really see what the capabilities are.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This is ridiculous. It hits 126kW only from 44%-48% SoC, the rest of the plateau is very close to 120kW.
Now, if the Model 3 is capable of faster charging it will be only be at lower than 50% SoC. So you'll only get a significant benefit if you're very good at arriving at the charger at a very low SoC.

I see what you are saying, how it jumped from about 120kw to 126kw in the 40% range. However, I don't look much into that. I have never seen a lithium ion battery that takes its peak charge in the 40% range. I am guessing the battery was warming and was able to hit the max rate in the 40%'s as a result, or it could just be a measuring error. From what I know, I think the Model 3 will take meaningfully more than 125kw from 0-40% SOC when the right chargers and conditions occur.

The great thing is, with a 300ish mile range, even if you can only take 120kw to 50%, that gives you around two hours of driving in about 15 minutes, which is awesome. 300 miles to start, 15 minute stop, then another 150 miles. 450 miles with a 15 minute stop.

Reactions: Rogstar and Rocky_H
Yep, you have to remember that these are 150kW/175kW CCS stations, and their maximum rate is usually calculated at 500v. So they are capped at 300A/350A. And if you figure that the Model 3 tops out at ~405v that would give it a maximum charge rate of 121kW/141kW. But of course when the voltage is that high the charge is limited. So that means that the 126kW charge rate was probably achieved when the pack was at about 360 volts.

I'm not saying that isn't true. But looks to me the charger is rated at 400A.
Daud Pechler on Twitter
chargerccs400A.jpeg