Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU CCS Charging: chargespeed & stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is ridiculous. It hits 126kW only from 44%-48% SoC, the rest of the plateau is very close to 120kW.
Now, if the Model 3 is capable of faster charging it will be only be at lower than 50% SoC. So you'll only get a significant benefit if you're very good at arriving at the charger at a very low SoC.
AKA how I long distance travel.

Charge until it tells me I'll arrive at the next SC with 12%-13% remaining, and go. You lose 2-3% right at the start, I assume a combo of initial acceleration + the supercan dealing with the last of the battery charging heat. Arrive at the next SC with about 8-11%, repeat. Never see below 90kW charge rate, nearly all of it 115kW and up, as long as you're on a well spaced route, don't run into a charging pair "share" situation, and your meal order is promptly served. :)

Reactions: SigNC and Big Earl
AKA how I long distance travel.

Charge until it tells me I'll arrive at the next SC with 12%-13% remaining, and go. You lose 2-3% right at the start, I assume a combo of initial acceleration + the supercan dealing with the last of the battery charging heat. Arrive at the next SC with about 8-11%, repeat. Never see below 90kW charge rate, nearly all of it 115kW and up, as long as you're on a well spaced route, don't run into a charging pair "share" situation, and your meal order is promptly served. :)
That's the way to do it. I got down to 3% on my last leg by adjusting my cruise speed :p
I'm just saying that with a higher charge rate the taper will start even sooner so it's going to be diminishing returns.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I'm just saying that with a higher charge rate the taper will start even sooner so it's going to be diminishing returns.
Agreed, being able to match the full curve we think is there would save me maybe 5-6 min on charging on say a 2h 25min cycle, that isn't that big by itself. Already getting through fairly quick in terms of other things you do when stopped.

What will be a much bigger deal is having more kW for a pair to split between them (assuming they still do pair sharing with V3) and the higher chance I won't have to share at all because other vehicles are getting out just a little quicker, leading to less "collisions" at a SC.

Agreed, being able to match the full curve we think is there would save me maybe 5-6 min on charging on say a 2h 25min cycle, that isn't that big by itself. Already getting through fairly quick in terms of other things you do when stopped.

What will be a much bigger deal is having more kW for a pair to split between them (assuming they still do pair sharing with V3) and the higher chance I won't have to share at all because other vehicles are getting out just a little quicker, leading to less "collisions" at a SC.
To me the biggest issue with superchargers is that they let people charge past 80%. I had to wait 25 minutes to get a spot on my one and only road trip with this car. There were cars that were charging the entire time I was there! 1 hour = 25m wait + 36m charge

To me the biggest issue with superchargers is that they let people charge past 80%. I had to wait 25 minutes to get a spot on my one and only road trip with this car. There were cars that were charging the entire time I was there! 1 hour = 25m wait + 36m charge
Tough part is that current state of charging accessibility is that sometimes there is entirely legitimate need for that last 20%, for example to save hours of driving by jumping across a SC-less gap in the network or for the return trip of getting back from your side-trip away from the network.

I'm of the mind that Tesla should switch all states to per minute charges. As the free-for-life charging vehicles become a small percentage of vehicles on road this should take care of a lot of the unnecessary charging past 85% as it gets progressively more expensive per kWh at that top end.

Last edited:
Found a video of an EU Model 3 charging at a Fastned 350kW CCS charger

The car is reporting 120kW charging speed and stays there for a good while; I haven't seen a sustained 120kW from a supercharger myself (it's always 1-2 kW below sustained). Still it does make me wonder if the 125kW reported in the diagram actually means 120kW reported in the car.

Found a video of an EU Model 3 charging at a Fastned 350kW CCS charger

The car is reporting 120kW charging speed and stays there for a good while; I haven't seen a sustained 120kW from a supercharger myself (it's always 1-2 kW below sustained). Still it does make me wonder if the 125kW reported in the diagram actually means 120kW reported in the car.
The 125kW is from the charger’s point of view I assume.