Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Market Situation and Outlook

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the other side, businesses with significant fleets (say hundreds and thousands of company cars) are sensitive to fuel costs. These high fuel consumption volumes and costs are often targeted by business's sustainability strategy. That may be Tesla's opportunity to enter this space.

This is where some competition could come handy: many big procurement processes require the comparison of at least two viable options so having a Tesla Model S and a (hypothetically viable) BMW i5 to compare would help Tesla, too...

Now how do we hack government policy to require ZEV vehicles for all official cars - that would make quite a splash :)

I might add that the experience with the primarily Oslo staff at the service center there has been a big hit and miss. I've been spared most major issues we had in Norway, but even I would rate Tesla service as OK to good, nothing more.
There is a huge differene between the experience here in Oslo and what I hear from the US. The Trondheim store and service center seems to be up to US standards for service, the others not so much. This is probably because there are way too many cars in Oslo area compared to number of employees and just space. But still the result is a service that is excellent and crappy at the same time.
Currently the Model S is so cheap here most can accept it, but to truly compete with BMW and their likes here they need to get concisently good every time.

Cobos

This is where some competition could come handy: many big procurement processes require the comparison of at least two viable options so having a Tesla Model S and a (hypothetically viable) BMW i5 to compare would help Tesla, too...
Now how do we hack government policy to require ZEV vehicles for all official cars - that would make quite a splash :)

Usually Fleet Manager and Procurement Manager sign agreement with say Toyota and Ford. Employees are offered a list of selected Toyota and Ford models. It is often possible to negotiate a make and model outside of the list.

Fuel reduction costs and good PR surrounding Tesla are great incentives for Fleet Managers. This market will be easy for Tesla imo.

I might add that the experience with the primarily Oslo staff at the service center there has been a big hit and miss. I've been spared most major issues we had in Norway, but even I would rate Tesla service as OK to good, nothing more.
There is a huge differene between the experience here in Oslo and what I hear from the US. The Trondheim store and service center seems to be up to US standards for service, the others not so much. This is probably because there are way too many cars in Oslo area compared to number of employees and just space. But still the result is a service that is excellent and crappy at the same time.
Currently the Model S is so cheap here most can accept it, but to truly compete with BMW and their likes here they need to get concisently good every time.
Cobos

I have a BMW and service it at BMW dealership. I do not pay for service due to the deal I got on the car. If I had to pay I would likely take car elsewhere.

I would in no way see BMW service as something that Tesla needs to strive to achieve.

My personal experience with BMW service is that there is a mismatch between what I would like to get and what is offered.

Here is how it is:

Call to book a service. Spot is given within say few weeks.

Drive a car to service center before 7:30am to leave the car. I would have preferred earlier but the center opens at 7:30am.
Several people turned up before the open time as we all have to make it to work from there.
Queue forms in front of concierge desk. The desk is in the car park, in front of the service door.
At 7:30 concierge and another person (doorman?) appear.
After 10-15 min wait, concierge finds my booking and instructs me to go inside and see particular Service Advisor.
I go inside large area with dozen or more desks. There is wait area in front of each desk and Advisor behind each desk, busy with paperwork or on the phone. Place looks like a bank, not car service center. Service Advisors wear suits and ties.
I wait another 15-20 min for my Advisor. Once he is off the phone and not busy, he asks me to approach. He takes my details, which I already provided at a time of booking, fills in the paperwork, takes my key and hands me loaner key.

In the afternoon, I come to pick up the car. I wait to see my Advisor. I ask few questions about the car and he can not answer, he has to contact mechanic to find out. That takes a while as he leaves the area and goes to workshop to find the mechanic. When he comes back I get some answers and that opens more questions in my mind. I do not ask any more as he would have to go see mechanic again, that would take too long, I do not want to wait in between each question and answer for my Advisor to go to the workshop and back.
Workshop and mechanic are off limits, behind walls. I can not bypass the Advisor and speak directly with the person that worked on my car. After Advisor hands me the paperwork, I am directed to wait at the concierge to get my car key.

As a customer I would have preferred to be able to deal directly with the person who works on my car and get first hand information.

If I have to pay for work on my car, stuff not covered with my deal, I take it to a local K-Mart Auto Shop as I prefer their service to BMW dealership. Service is faster, I can speak with anyone in the garage, garage is open (I can see my car at all times), and it is far cheaper. No concierge and no Service Advisors to shuffle me around.

Last edited:
One of the seven members (with equal executive powers) of the Federal Council in Switzerland (Doris Leuthard, the Head of the Federal Department of Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications) just announced that she wants to get a Model S as an official, representential car, which is usually the domain of Mercedes S Class or Audi A8/S8...
Tesla als Dienstfahrzeug für Doris Leuthard | handelszeitung.ch

Just watched the soccer game Australia vs. Netherlands. In the break they showed a (i admit quite funny) TV spot for the e Golf:
Volkswagen. Der e-Golf. Das e-Auto. TV Spot - YouTube
Some tech. specs: Range max. 190 km, 24 kWh capacity, top speed 140 km/h and acceleration 4,2 seconds from 0 to 60 km/h. Wait? Why don't they state the 1-100 acceleration (around 10 secs). In my opinion they should not try to make that number looking fast. One can state the thesis that they just stopped the clock at 60 km and are happy that it's under 5 seconds. Charging: hard to find, can't remember where i read it (maybe in german): "in 30min up to 80%" But funny, when you search for the word "charge" on the page, you can't find anything. Come on! Price starting at 35k Euro.
Electric mobility: the e-Golf – Volkswagen
One can get the impression, that they are ready to sell... I wonder who delivers the battery and how their factory capacity might be and how many they actually sell. Sorry, but i will not order.

I’m sure Tesla would sell rather well in Finland (we have CO2-depended car tax), if they only came to Finland. Tesla has already sold approximately 40 cars to Finland without official representation.
I’m going to buy one as soon as they open service here. I don’t want to take car to Stockholm for service. I know about ranger service, but I don’t want to pay for warranty repairs.

I think Matias if you order now you won't have the car for long until the center opens. From what I understood Helsinki service center is still in the books for 2014. And if Finland already has 40+ cars delivered, then it won't be long as Tesla has said they don't want to keep a region without service center if there are ~100 cars there already and I think initially they might throw Estonia into the pot as well (we have 10 delivered cars with 10-20 more coming soon) so 100 is not that far off. And I think they were contemplating a semi permanent ranger presence in advance of opening a service center so the rangers in those regions would act as service centers and likely would be for free for warranty repairs.

In April there was a test drive event in Helsinki. Guy from Stockholm office said, that they would open service center and shop in Finland in 1Q15. I'm aiming my delivery on that. But I don't think 1Q15 is written in stone. From what I have understood, Tesla has rather flexible interpretation concerning time tables :wink:

In April there was a test drive event in Helsinki. Guy from Stockholm office said, that they would open service center and shop in Finland in 1Q15. I'm aiming my delivery on that. But I don't think 1Q15 is written in stone. From what I have understood, Tesla has rather flexible interpration concerning time tables :wink:

Yes, the same guys took the ferry over to Tallinn and spent four days in Tallinn right afterwards ;) Also had some Tesla higher ups fly in and lots of discussions. The 1Q15 is the conservative estimate as I heard 4Q14 for Finland and possible 2015 for Tallinn :). But of course, Tesla timelines are in a temporal flux until they materialize. I was originally also told the CHAdeMO adapter would likely be ready Fall 2013 ;) Now it's Fall 2014

Norway folks, how's the end of quarter delivery look like for Q2 ? :)

1600 was probably too optimistic. We probably won't see many more registrations than 1467. So far today there's been 1 new registration. I stopped by the service center earlier and the parking lot is emptying. See pictures here.

The blue Model S that's in the proces of being delivered was registered on thursday, so with ~2 days from registration to delivery, a Model S that is supposed to be delivered on monday will have to be registred today. (Maybe with fewer cars in the pipeline, they can push them out a bit faster, but still, we probaly aren't talking about very many cars remaining.)

Based on reporting from Aumacon (Dutch car consultancy company) between 180 and 190 model S were sold this month (uncertainty due to different ways of counting and reporting), which would be in line with the 190 from the same month last quarter. Total for this quarter come in at around 360, up significantly from last quarter (207). But q-on-q comparisions in the Netherlands don't mean much for now since the incentives were reduced significantly at the start of this year. A lot of the deliveries that should have happened in the first quarter were actually moved forward to last quarter 2013. One note : the numbers from this month are not yet official though.

Hard to say as there is some technical problems with the registration service at this time, but my educated guess would be about 600 cars in June.

Could you elaborate on what were the technical problems with the registration service? I am wondering whether this means that sizable quantity of cars were ready for delivery, i.e. prepped by Tesla, but were not delivered due to these technical problems. Could this affect deliveries as reported by Tesla, or the cars that were not registered will still count as delivered because money changed hands and Tesla paperwork was completed?
I am not familiar with the process in Norway, but in some US states, including my state, Tesla manufacturer paperwork with the State was not complete at the time the car was delivered to me, and because of this I needed to register the car with the state by myself, after it was delivered by Tesla. I.e. the car was counted as delivered to me, while I had a month after the delivery to register it with the State.

Tesla targets 50% (UK)fleet sales with electric car

While Ell , Tesla's UK boss,refuses to be drawn on exact sales expectations, speaking exclusively to BusinessCar he offered the comparison with the Californian market: "The Model S outsells the S-class in California, which was the best seller in its class."

Last year Mercedes sold 1864 S-class models in the UK, taking first place and 30% of the luxury car segment

Tesla targets 50% fleet sales with electric car

Tesla targets 50% (UK)fleet sales with electric car

While Ell , Tesla's UK boss,refuses to be drawn on exact sales expectations, speaking exclusively to BusinessCar he offered the comparison with the Californian market: "The Model S outsells the S-class in California, which was the best seller in its class."

Last year Mercedes sold 1864 S-class models in the UK, taking first place and 30% of the luxury car segment

Tesla targets 50% fleet sales with electric car

Fleets will be an easy picking for Tesla, because of no fuel costs and low maintenance costs.

There are no Teslas here yet, but I will call my employer's lease provider to check if I can lease Tesla and at what costs. Update to come.