Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like it survived the Senate bill. At some point Congress is going to have to address and reform it if it does survive. Makes no sense that when Tesla and GM sunset that these Johnny-Come-Latelys would benefit by virtue of slow walking their rollout. I think it should sunset at the same time for all manufactures.
Or simply have a pool of tax credit for a million EV's and open up to all manufacturers. The early birds get to eat the most worms.

Looks like it survived the Senate bill. At some point Congress is going to have to address and reform it if it does survive. Makes no sense that when Tesla and GM sunset that these Johnny-Come-Latelys would benefit by virtue of slow walking their rollout. I think it should sunset at the same time for all manufactures.
Yes, and those "Johnny-Come- Latelys" will be foreign manufacturers like Porsche, BMW, MBZ, Jaguar, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc. Is this the way we Make America Great Again? I say keep the tax credit for American manufacturers for cars assembled in the USA and the rest of the foreign manufacturers can pound ICE.

I say keep the tax credit for American manufacturers for cars assembled in the USA and the rest of the foreign manufacturers can pound ICE.
Well, I don't think protectionism helps. Whoever wants to ramps up EV adoption and make an affordable mass market car, it helps.

But it is stupid to give a quota to each manufacturer. It is obvious the early pioneers do all the hard work, do the ground work, lay the roads, make EVs attractive, show the others how it should be done through trial and errors. And then what happens? By the time the first movers barely settle down, the rug is pulled underneath and the Johnny come latelys enjoy the fruits.

Well, I don't think protectionism helps. Whoever wants to ramps up EV adoption and make an affordable mass market car, it helps.

But it is stupid to give a quota to each manufacturer. It is obvious the early pioneers do all the hard work, do the ground work, lay the roads, make EVs attractive, show the others how it should be done through trial and errors. And then what happens? By the time the first movers barely settle down, the rug is pulled underneath and the Johnny come latelys enjoy the fruits.
Multiple manufacturers have literally bought Teslas and torn them apart to see how they tick, so yah, you're not kidding when you say the pioneers have done the ground work.

The point of the credit is not to reward some manufacturers over others. It is to increase EV adoption by incentivizing all manufacturers, who for the most part only knew how to make ICE vehicles, to invest in and produce EVs. That's why each manufacturer gets their own quota. First movers may have more hurdles to jump over, but they also gain first to market advantages.

So MBZ's Alabama plant doesn't count, Nissan's plant in Tennessee, Honda's in Ohio? Be careful what you wish for, else you run into situation like Boeing and Bombardier.
How many EV's are built by MBZ, Nissan. and Honda at those plants? We're talking about EV tax credits here.

But it is stupid to give a quota to each manufacturer. It is obvious the early pioneers do all the hard work, do the ground work, lay the roads, make EVs attractive, show the others how it should be done through trial and errors.
So maybe it is best to give tax credits to the first 1M sold, regardless of manufacturer, to reward R&D by the pioneers and also hasten the adoption of EV's in the US. Yes, I think that is a better idea.

The point of the credit is not to reward some manufacturers over others. It is to increase EV adoption by incentivizing all manufacturers, who for the most part only knew how to make ICE vehicles, to invest in and produce EVs. That's why each manufacturer gets their own quota. First movers may have more hurdles to jump over, but they also gain first to market advantages.
The problem with that is Tesla has never been profitable because they have been spending money on R&D, building infrastructure, making capital improvements, and creating a market with their own unique brand of "advertising."

Maybe it is best to eliminate the EV tax credit since Tesla has received some benefit through the tax credit for laying all the groundwork. As far as EV's, the playing field would then be leveled for all those who enter the market after much of the work has been done. The next step is to level the playing field for ICE by eliminating the petroleum related industry subsides and tax breaks which would increase the cost of ICE by around $10K and thereby increase the cost of gasoline to something like >$5 per gallon as it is in much of the rest of the world.

Regardless, EV's are the future. ICE is dead as far as a strategy for significant world markets within the next two decades. It will happen even without the tax credit - sooner in the rest of the world and later in the US (as we have suddenly abdicated our role as a world leader in more ways than just EV's).

Reactions: DR61
Yep, but the cheapest at EV-CPO.com is 75.700$ (S75) and even with the tax credit you'll pay more then for a comparable model 3 (which is arguably more beautiful too ;)).
Just to be clear, a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) does not qualify for the tax credit.

Yes, the tax credit makes the most sense for those who are trying to pick up a new entry level luxury EV (Model 3) for $28K to $40K after the tax credit, which is now in jeopardy. You could pick up a new Bolt in that price range before the end of the year and get the tax credit, but it does not fit into the classification of "entry level, luxury EV."

Not sure about 80%, but I know more Model S owners who're Trump supporters (even to this day) than I do who are/were Hillary supporters... Elon himself was willingly serving on 2 of Trump's advisory panels, too, until Trump created a potential pr nightmare for him by signaling that the US would be withdrawing from the Paris agreement.

If what you said is true, it makes me a little depressed

Reactions: pdxgibby
Well, thus far, Teslas have largely been toys for rich people... Elon himself is a billionaire fan of Ayn Rand, who is beloved by many extreme fiscal conservatives/libertarians.
It's kind of hard to mesh the idea of a hardcore libertarian Ayn Rand fan and someone who advocates for a universal basic income. But no matter, his politics weren't my main concern, it was the idea that 80% of Tesla owners support someone only 33% of the country does. Even if they skew one way or the other politically, it's not that skewed.

It's kind of hard to mesh the idea of a hardcore libertarian Ayn Rand fan and someone who advocates for a universal basic income. But no matter, his politics weren't my main concern, it was the idea that 80% of Tesla owners support someone only 33% of the country does. Even if they skew one way or the other politically, it's not that skewed.

80% of Tesla owners? Where did that figure come from? :confused:

• Funny
Reactions: FutureShock