Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything Electric Sydney (February 9-10-11, 2024)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the issue with "Too Many YouTubers"? As @moa999 said, it's an event started by YouTubers.

Ignoring the hosts, the only ones I could see are Tom Gan, Chris Vanderstock and Nash Ahamed. Is that "too many"? Three out of ~100 people?

Chris and Tom have each produced hours of content, including reviewing a range of different models of EVs, and even that includes long term (full week/roadtrips, etc). Chris in particular is a co-plaintiff in the Victorian EV tax high court challenge (I only saw one of his panels so I'm not sure if he had an opportunity to speak about it in the other one)

Not to mention these guys draw people in and promote the event on their channels.

There are plenty of Aussie EV YouTubers who they should not have got (and didn't fortunately). I think the balance was pretty good.

What was the issue with Electric Viking at FCL?
Until he was listed on the programme for FCL, I didn't actually know he was in Australia. To be honest I don't know much about him, but I thought he lived overseas and was originally from here and had an Aussie accent. Seems like he writes for the US market (talks about gas, miles, EVs that aren't available in Australia, etc).

I just looked at his channel.. holy crap, he's pumped out 24 videos in the last 3 days. Wonder how he can keep up the quality with that much quantity.

He's apparently going to be hosting at the FCL San Diego event too.

He's got 120k followers! (Tom has 20k, Chris has 12k). Some people have cracked the YouTube code by luck. Ryan Cowan has 40k because he made a 30 second short showing the Tesla Model X doors opening and it happened to get retweeted by Elon.

Last edited:
I subscribe to Electric Vikings YT channel, but don’t watch all his videos. I think his enthusiasm and sincerity are great assets to his content and he is often one of the first to talk about new issues and topics that I don’t see from other sources, so I think that qualifies him to be on the live panels. On some of the panels I attended where he was the moderator he did sometimes struggle to keep the discussion on topic, but also his questions to Gavin Shoebridge brought out the quote of the event in my opinion. He seems a smart guy and I’m pretty sure he will gain the the skills and discipline needed for live panels.
Just go back in the history of any famous YouTuber and you’ll see how they have developed, even Bobyllew has his own style.

Moderators hat:
Above is my opinion only and your welcome to disagree but please be respectful of anyone who you discuss on this forum, I have already have had to remove a post for, what I will politely call disrespectful language.

Last edited:
Interesting.. obviously the way CHAdeMO has gone and I assume Tim would be on top of it. My understanding is the CCS standards allow AC or DC, and obviously the Korean manufacturers (and reportedly Tesla) have gotten 2-way chargers in the car working.

For a home with solar it makes sense to have some form of centralised two-way inverter, (DC inputs from solar and car, DC outputs to battery and car, and AC outputs to house and maybe grid) though suspect it's going to mean purchasing a new inverter and possibly expensive cabling if the meter/ inverter is on the other side to the garage.

But I would have thought AC might make sense (and would be much cheaper) in commercial settings. (Eg. Say a factory/office where the workplace provides free/cheap daytime charging on the quid pro quo they can redraw power in the late afternoon until the employee goes home to minimise peak grid usage)
Two way invertors are called invertor chargers and are big in the houseboat industry where they have to deal with solar/generator/shore inputs and battery/houseboat outputs. The better ones are US made and now owned by Schneider Electric. Fully automated too so that if the load is too much for the battery the generator starts and takes over. They are very programmable too with maximum charging, maximum draw, charging parameters etc. Battery temperatures settings and battery health settings also programmable. When plugged into shore power they divert shore load to the houseboat as well as to charging up the batteries and floating them. Typically no floating of battery under generator supply.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Ryan Cowan has 40k because he made a 30 second short showing the Tesla Model X doors opening and it happened to get retweeted by Elon.
Hey Chuq, just to clarify... I've grown my following by consistently uploading, and whilst I've been reposted by Elon and Tesla multiple times, it doesn't correlate with a spike in followers on YouTube. Please link me to your content, would love to see it.

This probably needs a new thread, but Fully Charged Live is back this year as “Everything Electric Australia” and has moved out to Sydney Olympic Park to bigger premises.

The show has also expanded to 3 days, starting on Friday 9th Feb. Adult tickets are $50 per day but plenty of discount codes around, NRMA members can get 30% discount, Evie 20%.

This looks like a big advertorial.

I won't be going unless they have a zero turn electric ride on mover with a 60inch cutting deck that can mow 5 acres.

The petrol version looks like this:
(umbrella optional)
IMG_8178.jpeg

Reactions: RareEarth
The F-150 Lightning will be on display in Electric Alley!

Also, interesting/random point - bp pulse aren't listed in the exhibitor list (they were there last year) - Ampol is back (alongside Chargefox and Evie, both being sponsors of course)

Volvo is another no-show, even in Electric Alley.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok