Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if someone about to be fired or that was humiliated by Musk released V11 on his way out the door?

That's not how software releases work. It wouldn't be just one person's job to develop and release V11 to the entire fleet. And if in a bizarro world something like that did happen, it's simple enough for Tesla to halt the release and rollback affected cars. (They claim they can't do rollbacks, but it is possible).

That's not how software releases work. It wouldn't be just one person's job to develop and release V11 to the entire fleet. And if in a bizarro world something like that did happen, it's simple enough for Tesla to halt the release and rollback affected cars. (They claim they can't do rollbacks, but it is possible).
Everything you in your comment is incorrect. 1st in software development you will often have a project manager, director or lead who is ultimately responsible for approving or rejecting decisions and has final say. 2nd, they cannot issue software rollbacks in most cases as Tesla will often update the firmware on various controllers throughout the vehicle which change the parameters in which they operate, and without the corresponding changes in the main software stack the new parameters would lead to error states with old code. If they wanted to issue a rollback what Tesla would have to do is backport the changes from the new version back to the older software version, and at that point it wouldn't be a rollback because new code is being introduced that needs to be tested and vetted.

Eh, it's Tesla. Elon had talked up the v11 release since the previous December release was met with annoyance at the random and unnecessary changes. And he had promised fixes "in two weeks" that just never came. Even the mid-year update didn't address several issues. I think v11 is most easily explained by the fact that their software hadn't been receiving the usual cadence of updates, customers weren't as happy with the changes, and they completely missed the mark on v11 by not doing real user studies.

The UI is the place I see the least malice in Tesla's software development and release strategy, but also the least consideration for the user.

The car has a lot of computers that perform different functions so their release must not be so different than cloud, i.e. they fall forward. Rollbacks could be very difficult and risky.
I am in peace with V11 now but the whole experience created serious doubts about the company practices and abilities. That definitely jarred me to the point that I decided that my next EV will not be a Tesla. They have to work very, very hard to change my opinion and so far they have been working in the opposite direction.

While I don want to revive this thread I recently rented a Toyota Prius while visiting family...

-- The interior is festooned with buttons all over the place, with different sizes and styles used more or less at random.
-- The graphics on the buttons are less than clear, with some totally mysterious even after I tried pushing them to see what would happen. One has a diagonal car with a solid line and a dotted line next to it. What was it? Parking assist? Safety checks? There were about 5 like this I never did figure out.
-- There are 22 (yes, 22) buttons on the steering wheel. Some obvious (call answer/hangup), some, again, totally mysterious.

-- The main driving display is littered with informational graphics, many of which baffled me. A nice big green "READY" always appears whenever the ignition is on, but I've no idea what is means. Ready for what? There are several others than also seem to mean nothing. Overall there was a huge amount of bling, and random use of color that seemed to convey nothing useful.

Of course, I didn't RTFM, where no doubt all would have been made clear, but compared to the Tesla I was appalled by how awful the car UI was.

Sure, this doesnt make V11 any better, and two wrongs dont make a right, but compared to that car the Tesla is wonderful.

While I don want to revive this thread I recently rented a Toyota Prius while visiting family...

-- The interior is festooned with buttons all over the place, with different sizes and styles used more or less at random.
-- The graphics on the buttons are less than clear, with some totally mysterious even after I tried pushing them to see what would happen. One has a diagonal car with a solid line and a dotted line next to it. What was it? Parking assist? Safety checks? There were about 5 like this I never did figure out.
-- There are 22 (yes, 22) buttons on the steering wheel. Some obvious (call answer/hangup), some, again, totally mysterious.

-- The main driving display is littered with informational graphics, many of which baffled me. A nice big green "READY" always appears whenever the ignition is on, but I've no idea what is means. Ready for what? There are several others than also seem to mean nothing. Overall there was a huge amount of bling, and random use of color that seemed to convey nothing useful.

Of course, I didn't RTFM, where no doubt all would have been made clear, but compared to the Tesla I was appalled by how awful the car UI was.

Sure, this doesnt make V11 any better, and two wrongs dont make a right, but compared to that car the Tesla is wonderful.
Almost anything compared to a Prius would be wonderful though.

Everything you in your comment is incorrect. 1st in software development you will often have a project manager, director or lead who is ultimately responsible for approving or rejecting decisions and has final say.

You're actually proving my point, or just missed it entirely (probably the latter). And I'm not talking about software development, I'm talking about software deployment which is usually handled by an entirely different group then the devs. And there's no way with these kinds of management levels that a single rogue disgruntled employee is going to say "F**K IT ALL!!" and actually have the sole ability and permissions to release a major firmware revision to the general public without anyone else knowing. The process to actually release firmware to the fleet involves dozens of people. Tesla isn't going to have a rinky-dink firmware release procedure in place when just one bad piece of code can brick peoples' cars. The resulting PR would be devastating.

And if in some bizzarro world that did happen, it would be logged and noticed by pretty much everyone else and shut down within minutes. Alerts would be going off everywhere, and if any cars did download the update in the few minutes it was available, Tesla could send out a signal to not deploy the update when the download is complete, so I don't think any cars would actually be effected. Tesla can, and has many times withdrew pending updates, even after downloading, when an error or bug was found.

Last edited:
Everything you in your comment is incorrect. 1st in software development you will often have a project manager, director or lead who is ultimately responsible for approving or rejecting decisions and has final say. 2nd, they cannot issue software rollbacks in most cases as Tesla will often update the firmware on various controllers throughout the vehicle which change the parameters in which they operate, and without the corresponding changes in the main software stack the new parameters would lead to error states with old code. If they wanted to issue a rollback what Tesla would have to do is backport the changes from the new version back to the older software version, and at that point it wouldn't be a rollback because new code is being introduced that needs to be tested and vetted.

The user interface is probably way more intertwined with the lower level functions than good design would hope but none the less there are layers of functionality and what low level firmware exists in a heat pump controller should be deployable independently of the ui layers.

What they choose to do or have built in their upgrade process might be different. If you add a new TPS sensor the code responsible for display should be unchanged, only the device drivers, etc that should be between the hardware and the UI should be new.

Given how often 1 update seems to add new errors suggests lines blurred between what should be built/tested/shipit/stop touching it stuff and a bit more spaghetti in real life.

Still, based on outward appearance, Elon runs things with an iron fist and if he focused more on his actual companies vs social media billionaire rants and raves...

Almost anything compared to a Prius would be wonderful though.
😂😂😂
5369AD4B-B9C4-4166-87A6-B7FF8D91F297.jpeg

I think v11 is most easily explained by the fact that their software hadn't been receiving the usual cadence of updates, customers weren't as happy with the changes, and they completely missed the mark on v11 by not doing real user studies.
I think it's simpler than that .. they guy in charge of UI was some young "I have to prove myself" guy with no original ideas who mistook "different" for "better" (sadly too common) .. and added a few "buzz" ideas he'd heard ":we needs app! .. make everything an app! . that will be better!). While it was not quite the disaster that some felt, it was certainly lacking in any coherent plan or direction.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Tesla and Prius are not in the same class.

FM radio station changes from the left scroll wheel is completely broken now. In previous versions when set to FM the left scroll wheel would toggle between stations, now the left/right toggle switches between sources, not stations. Apparently nobody in Tesla dev or test actually listens to the radio. *Sigh*

Do you use Spotify? So far, it seems like people who have that issue have Spotify. I only use USB & radio for music & I haven't seen that issue. My wild guess is that their beta testers who use Spotify don't use the radio at all.

Do you use Spotify? So far, it seems like people who have that issue have Spotify. I only use USB & radio for music & I haven't seen that issue. My wild guess is that their beta testers who use Spotify don't use the radio at all.
Nope, no spotify.
I was a test engineer for more years than Tesla has been a company and I'm astonished at some of the egregious errors they let loose on the public.

Sounds like the Tartan Prancer ...

1657118114350.png

Key fob :D

1657118144672.png