Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
quick question.

I switched today from GEUK to octopus, with the intention to move to IO. Switch went smoothly and completed in just 2 days.

I got today an email from Octopus, telling that they need smart meter and to book an installation, but no appointment is available.

GEUK installed updated SMETS2 meters on 19th of December, for which I get readings through Loop app. Shouldn’t these be ok for use from Octopus? I’ve emailed them but I am puzzled, I thought I am ready to go….
I would just contact Octopus and tell them you have new smart meters. It maybe just show you have them on whatever systems they use as they are recent?

Reactions: giorgosa
quick question.

I switched today from GEUK to octopus, with the intention to move to IO. Switch went smoothly and completed in just 2 days.

I got today an email from Octopus, telling that they need smart meter and to book an installation, but no appointment is available.

GEUK installed updated SMETS2 meters on 19th of December, for which I get readings through Loop app. Shouldn’t these be ok for use from Octopus? I’ve emailed them but I am puzzled, I thought I am ready to go….
Check on this website what it says about your meter that it’s in smart mode with octopus.

When I switched last week the move was much smoother than I anticipated as I have a SMETS1 meter but it transferred over and started giving smart readings within 24hours

Reactions: giorgosa
IO vs Agile

My Oct Go is coming to an end next month. I live in London so off-peak will now be 10p and peak 44p,
Has anyone looked at octopus Agile? Looks like even in peak times, their rate doesn't hit 44p during peak. Off peak it is typically lower than 10p too.
see Download Octopus Energy tariff prices for London

What am i missing? Coz looking at the Agile historical data, it looks like a much better option vs. IO

My Oct Go is coming to an end next month. I live in London so off-peak will now be 10p and peak 44p,
Has anyone looked at octopus Agile? Looks like even in peak times, their rate doesn't hit 44p during peak. Off peak it is typically lower than 10p too.

What am i missing? Coz looking at the Agile historical data, it looks like a much better option vs. IO
10/40 is actually not too bad.
With Agile you’re trading some certainty for slightly cheaper rates.
With the current levels of market price volatility, I for one find the uncertainty too great. I doubt Agile is currently a good proposition for most people.
There is an app called Octopus Compare that can pull your usage data and map the costs on several different prices plans. That might be worth a look.

Reactions: Adopado

I don't think any of the sites have adapted for the actual Agile prices post Energy cap. They're much, much higher.

Check on this website what it says about your meter that it’s in smart mode with octopus.

When I switched last week the move was much smoother than I anticipated as I have a SMETS1 meter but it transferred over and started giving smart readings within 24hours
Thanks,

I checked and it is already updated, stating supplier as Octopus (although I switched today) and that it is a SMETS2 meter. I'll surprised if there will be any issues to be honest. Need to speak with Octopus on Monday.

Btw, thanks for the referral ;)

Reactions: C225
Thanks,

I checked and it is already updated, stating supplier as Octopus (although I switched today) and that it is a SMETS2 meter. I'll surprised if there will be any issues to be honest. Need to speak with Octopus on Monday.

Btw, thanks for the referral ;)
Took a day for the readings to come through then got an email to set up intelligent. If you need to contact them I’d suggest twitter usually much quicker at responding.

I don't think any of the sites have adapted for the actual Agile prices post Energy cap. They're much, much higher.
Agile looks pretty great when it’s windy at the moment. Peak rate according to OctopusWatch app is 33.86p/kWh, which is less than several fixed tariffs.

What’s the catch? Are these numbers wrong?

I switched to IO today at 42.90p peak/10p off peak (Go Faster ended tomorrow) but pondering changing to Agile instead. I don’t need to charge every night, probably not even every other night, could easily wait for more favourable days. And I don’t need to use the electrical connection during the day at all (separate one)

D7F272CE-86DB-4809-A05A-9041FC313C80.png

Ah, that I did not know.
A friend of mine has just gone onto Agile and the rates have been super-cheap for the last few days.

My GO contract ends in March and I will be invited to renew next month. I'm thinking of GO again or IO, but I'll have 3PWs by renewal time, and I don't want the PWs drained by IO by the extra cheap periods. My other option is to set parameters to only allow car charging between 11:30 and 05:30, but I don't really want to cheat the system.

Such a dilemma. I'll probably call Octopus and seek advice, even though I don't intend to draw much power from March to October as our solar should power the house and cars.

10/40 is actually not too bad.
With Agile you’re trading some certainty for slightly cheaper rates.
With the current levels of market price volatility, I for one find the uncertainty too great. I doubt Agile is currently a good proposition for most people.
There is an app called Octopus Compare that can pull your usage data and map the costs on several different prices plans. That might be worth a look.
Yes, the Octopus Compare app is great; it costs a few quid a year, but it is well worth it IMO.

What’s the catch? Are these numbers wrong?
I'm not 100% sure, I would just be careful that's all as many comparison sites haven't factored in the price cap and availability of some of the Agile tariff codes. My inderstanding is there's only one open Agile code at the moment and it just pays to check if the site is showing that and not Agile from 12m ago or something. Definitely worth a look though as you say. One of great things about Octopus is their willingness to let you tariff surf so if if turned out to be a mess you'd only be a month down. If you have a large solar array too then Agile Outgoing will already be starting to come into it's own too.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
I switched to IO yesterday, the setup process was pretty slick and the tariff officially changed about an hour later.

Car had 56% of charge and I had set a limit in the car of 60%, and put the same in the Octopus app (from what I'm led to believe it can't/won't override what the car is set to anyway). I disabled all of the scheduling in the car (so it would start trying to charge from my home charger as soon as I plugged it in)

Ended up with 3 "smart charge" intervals by the end of the day, the first one being 01:30 - 02:00 and my car waited until that time to wake up to charge, rather than waking up at 23:30 when the 6 hour fixed off peak period starts. That was my first surprise.

The car only needed the 01:30 - 02:00 block to charge up to the limit, so ignored the two other smart charge periods afterwards. I assumed wrongly that it would use the 3rd one to do the charge, being closer to the "be ready by" time of 08:00 (last smart charge block was 07:00 - 07:30), on the basis that there would be more residual heat in the battery by 08:00 than when it actually charged at 01:30 - 02:00 (if that makes sense).

So far so good though. If I leave it plugged in is it constantly going to wake the car up for no good reason? I noticed that it spontaneously woke up today at 11:33.

My tariff is 42.90p/10p.. was hoping I'd end up on the old 7.50p off peak one that some people seem to be still blagging, but alas not.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I switched to IO yesterday, the setup process was pretty slick and the tariff officially changed about an hour later.

Car had 56% of charge and I had set a limit in the car of 60%, and put the same in the Octopus app (from what I'm led to believe it can't/won't override what the car is set to anyway). I disabled all of the scheduling in the car (so it would start trying to charge from my home charger as soon as I plugged it in)

Ended up with 3 "smart charge" intervals by the end of the day, the first one being 01:30 - 02:00 and my car waited until that time to wake up to charge, rather than waking up at 23:30 when the 6 hour fixed off peak period starts. That was my first surprise.

The car only needed the 01:30 - 02:00 block to charge up to the limit, so ignored the two other smart charge periods afterwards. I assumed wrongly that it would use the 3rd one to do the charge, being closer to the "be ready by" time of 08:00 (last smart charge block was 07:00 - 07:30), on the basis that there would be more residual heat in the battery by 08:00 than when it actually charged at 01:30 - 02:00 (if that makes sense).

So far so good though. If I leave it plugged in is it constantly going to wake the car up for no good reason? I noticed that it spontaneously woke up today at 11:33.

My tariff is 42.90p/10p.. was hoping I'd end up on the old 7.50p off peak one that some people seem to be still blagging, but alas not.
Does your app show that the rest of your supply benefitted from the full 6hrs cheap rate?

Great newbie review👍

I’m switching at the end of the month and what I’m keen to understand/experience is when you get those smart charge intervals (in addition to the guaranteed 6h) the extra one you got at 7-7:30 knowing this also applies to ‘whole house’ rates I could put the washing machine on which would do its heating stage within the 30 minute window and the rest is just a motor turning. This latter will be taking from the battery so all good.

Additionally I could schedule more battery charging windows in winter in these extra slots, basically anything to max cheap rate to avoid peak rate.

Is this correct?

This is based on my limited knowledge...

The extra smart charge intervals are priced at the same rate as the fixed 23:30 - 05:30 block, and apply to the whole electrical supply so it doesn't matter (nor can they tell) if you are actually charging the car or not. So yes, in your example you could use these periods to put the washing machine on, etc.

You get those bonus smart charging intervals so long as you have agreed to them (by default you do). You can disable "Smart Charging" in the settings, which - according to the app - stops Octopus from controling your car, and I think stops you getting additional blocks.

One or more of these smart charging intervals can end up being during the 23:30 - 05:30 block, which doesn't make sense to me, but *shrug*. 2 of the 3 I had yesterday were. I would probably work on the assumption that you'll get at most one extra 30 minute block of off peak, outside of the 6 hours fixed.

The process of signing up to Intelligent Octopus involves logging into your Tesla account via the Octopus app. This lets them control your car, i.e. waking it up and starting and stopping charges.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
That was my first surprise.
The car only charges during the allocated slots - the whole idea of IO is that Octopus can spread the charges of all the cars in the fleet to smooth demand. One of my slots last night (well, today) was 08:00-08:30, and I watched the car start and stop charging exactly during that period.

With regards to percentage, it seems to be most people find that the car ends up a few percent shy of what they set in the Octopus app. Might be worth noting...

Is this correct?

Pretty much, I put the washing machine on at 08:00 this morning as I had a 30 minute slot!

I'm not sure how you would schedule 'extra' battery charging slots though, other than by giving IO a really high target from a low SOC - you'd likely get some slots over and above the 6 hours then. Six hours would give me about 60% though, so I couldn't do that too often, as I don't use that much battery every day...

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricPolice