Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
The data its waiting for is from octopus in regards to your tarif so you can see how much you are spending. If it's a new meter it won't have any.

Have you been to your account online? if they can read it, it will be showing on there and you should b e able to see your usage up to the previous day.

Reminds our meter still hasn't updated its rates for 2 months now and must email them
That makes sense and no readings on account yet other than the last readings from the old meters, so guess it isn’t ‘online’ with Octopus yet.

disconnect the car from the app then re-connect it so it gets it's authorisation back. Maybe worth a try?
I might end up doing that ... in fact I guess that's what Octopus will suggest to me.
cos we were charging off excess solar earlier in the day and I knew I didn't need to bother adjusting it for the amount of charge I needed that night.
When 2330 came and the car didn’t start charging, did any errors come up in the log?

Did you carry out your test charge in the same place you park to charge?
Yes, test charge in same place. The app didn't seem to do anything. I've had a look but can't see it. Where would I find the log?

I'm wondering if IO is being affected by the fact that since the last update, we're having a pig of a time getting the car to unlock automatically or to show in the app. Right now, I'm watching my car driving in the app even though it's been parked on the drive for hours and says it was last seen "10 minutes ago". Earlier today, when I plugged in, IO didn't stop the charge like it's supposed to. We discovered it charging about 20 minutes later. Thankfully, as we'd been using excess solar earlier in the day, the amps weren't high.

I'm going to be on high alert tonight as I need a full tank for tomorrow, but no charge plan despite plugging in over an hour ago.

I might end up doing that ... in fact I guess that's what Octopus will suggest to me.

cos we were charging off excess solar earlier in the day and I knew I didn't need to bother adjusting it for the amount of charge I needed that night.

Yes, test charge in same place. The app didn't seem to do anything. I've had a look but can't see it. Where would I find the log?

I'm wondering if IO is being affected by the fact that since the last update, we're having a pig of a time getting the car to unlock automatically or to show in the app. Right now, I'm watching my car driving in the app even though it's been parked on the drive for hours and says it was last seen "10 minutes ago". Earlier today, when I plugged in, IO didn't stop the charge like it's supposed to. We discovered it charging about 20 minutes later. Thankfully, as we'd been using excess solar earlier in the day, the amps weren't high.

I'm going to be on high alert tonight as I need a full tank for tomorrow, but no charge plan despite plugging in over an hour ago.
Sounds like your car is having connectivity issues?

Certainly sounds like a car issue rather than an octopus issue. No signal getting through so the charge can’t be controlled. If the car is in a place with otherwise good cellular signal maybe get it booked into service to get it looked at.

Anyone got two electric cars? We’ve got a MYLR and Mini EV, with a 7kw podpoint. If I set up with IO what’ll happen if I don’t charge my MY, but plug in the Mini? Will the podpoint charge it? Will IO provide a cheap overnight slot?

I’m currently on GO which works really well, but it’s due to end and IO is slightly cheaper than renewing with Go.

Anyone got two electric cars? We’ve got a MYLR and Mini EV, with a 7kw podpoint. If I set up with IO what’ll happen if I don’t charge my MY, but plug in the Mini? Will the podpoint charge it? Will IO provide a cheap overnight slot?

I’m currently on GO which works really well, but it’s due to end and IO is slightly cheaper than renewing with Go.
Charge the mini within the fixed off peak window. You won't get a schedule from IO.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
We've got two EVs, a PodPoint, and I moved from Go as well.

When I plug the Tesla in, I get a schedule and IO controls the charge. When I don't plug in the Tesla - no schedule.

We just plug the e208 in and set it to charge from 11:30pm in the car - just like Go, but 6
hours!

Two hours longer, occasional extra cheap slots, and cheaper per unit - seems a no brainer as long as you're happy letting Octopus control the car...

The PodPoint is in 'dumb mode' with no schedule in my case.

Reactions: Lord Farquad

When I plug the Tesla in, I get a schedule and IO controls the charge. When I don't plug in the Tesla - no schedule.

We just plug the e208 in and set it to charge from 11:30pm in the car - just like Go, but 6
hours!

Two hours longer, occasional extra cheap slots, and cheaper per unit - seems a no brainer as long as you're happy letting Octopus control the car...

Thanks, sounds like a plan 👍

hours!

How long before your Go ended did you switch? Does it take long?

How long before your Go ended did you switch? Does it take long?
I actually let my Go finish (it was so cheap I didn't want to waste any), and then switched the weekend after.

The switch was virtually instant - clicked the button to swap, did my test charge, got an email confirming all done.

I believe if you 'go off early' before Go expires, the switch is still instant, so last minute seems advisable.

👍

Is there any way of finding out from Octopus what a previous charging session time was?

I went on a long journey today and got back home with only 10% charge.

plugged the car in just before 5 and it did it’s little pre charge before stopping. It’s now 20.10 and the car has been charging since around 19.30. When the Octopus charging schedule came through to the app, I’m sure there were three entries but it’s only showing two now, 09.30-22.00 and 22.30-08.00.

Can I safely assume it’s on a scheduled charge and if not is there any way I can monitor what Octopus charge me? I have wondered this before, how do you check Octopus have charged the off peak rate when a charge is scheduled outside the core hours?

Thank you.

Is there any way of finding out from Octopus what a previous charging session time was?

plugged the car in just before 5 and it did it’s little pre charge before stopping. It’s now 20.10 and the car has been charging since around 19.30. When the Octopus charging schedule came through to the app, I’m sure there were three entries but it’s only showing two now, 09.30-22.00 and 22.30-08.00.

Can I safely assume it’s on a scheduled charge and if not is there any way I can monitor what Octopus charge me? I have wondered this before, how do you check Octopus have charged the off peak rate when a charge is scheduled outside the core hours?

Thank you.
The only regular way to do it is retrospectively through the pdfs of your statement that should be sent to you monthly on email. There's a natty little graph in the corner of the page for each day that clearly shows peak/off peak rates.

Only other way to do it would be if you are using the GraphQL API in Home Assistant and logging when the off-peak sessions occur.

Reactions: Markee68
The only regular way to do it is retrospectively through the pdfs of your statement that should be sent to you monthly on email. There's a natty little graph in the corner of the page for each day that clearly shows peak/off peak rates.

Only other way to do it would be if you are using the GraphQL API in Home Assistant and logging when the off-peak sessions occur.
That’s really useful, thank you for the info 👍🏻

Thank you.
It's most likely that this initial session was part of the schedule and everything is indeed correct.

I know it's retrospective in this instance but after a couple of occasions early on (Jan-Feb 2022) where I was billed at peak rate when IO must have changed the slots overnight, since then I always take a screenshot of the schedule I'm offered. Maybe overkill but it takes a couple of seconds & has become second nature.

It's never happened again though & on both occasions I was able to use screenshots from solar inverter and charger apps to show it was the car that caused these peak rate sessions. Both times Octopus agreed & compensated me with a higher amount than the original overcharge.

Your monthly Octopus bill will of course show usage each day including cost per 30 minute slot.

Reactions: Markee68

Thank you.
So, the car charged from 19.30-21.30 then stopped. The IO schedule was 21.30-22.00 so is it possible Octopus changed the schedule after it was sent to the app and it didn’t update in the app?

I‘m logging and will check against the statement when it drops in a months time.

So, the car charged from 19.30-21.30 then stopped. The IO schedule was 21.30-22.00 so is it possible Octopus changed the schedule after it was sent to the app and it didn’t update in the app?

I‘m logging and will check against the statement when it drops in a months time.
When did you plug the car in? If it was at 1930 and the car started charging straight off and never stopped then you may have ended up paying top dollar for your charge. That’s why it’s a good idea to set the car’s off-peak charge by time time to 0530, as it stops the car from starting the charge too early.

When did you plug the car in? If it was at 1930 and the car started charging straight off and never stopped then you may have ended up paying top dollar for your charge. That’s why it’s a good idea to set the car’s off-peak charge by time time to 0530, as it stops the car from starting the charge too early.
I plugged the car in just after 5pm then it did it’s little pre charge and stopped, then it started charging again at around 19.30 and stopped at 21.30 (when the next session was due to start).

It also charging again at 22.30 as per the schedule so I think Octopus shuffled the charging times around?