Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, sorry for the total newb question.. Picked up MY today, switched to IO this afternoon and am confused about the best way to set the charge schedule up. I've set the target SOC and departure time in the Ohme app (octopus app told me to do it in the Ohme app) and haven't set anything charge related in the Tesla app. Is this correct? Sorry for being an ignoramus!
If you’re using the Ohme to control the charge, then yes, that’s how you should do it. Don’t set anything at all in the car, just plug it in.

Anyoner know if this is normal for IO on Octopus. We took a short 4 day break away and received this. Soon I shouldn't be using any electricity either at peak or off-peak times on IO as the sun will provide all.

We've experienced a recent issue connecting to your EV via Intelligent Octopus. In order to resolve this issue we'll just need you to reconnect your device (EV). You can do this by opening your Octopus Energy app and:

1. Going to Account & Settings (top corner button)
  2. Tapping on the Intelligent Octopus section
  3. Scrolling down and tapping "reconnect device"
Make sure your device is at home when doing this so that the location for charging isn't updated incorrectly.

Don't worry, the tariff is still applied to your account and your billing won't be affected, this is just to ensure that you can charge reliably going forward.
I got that email as well along with a notification the day earlier saying unable to control charging when the car was in the middle of an update, also coincidentally after the car had been parked at the airport for 3 days.

I didn’t actually do anything about it and it scheduled a smart charge and charged fine last night so must just be some sort of glitch.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Can someone confirm that when Octopus give you extra hours it shows the times on the app? People elsewhere are saying they plug the car in now and it starts charging at cheaper rate even though the schedule says the rate starts at 2.30am. Surely the starting at 2.30am isn’t right? I thought it starts at 11.30pm if there are no cheaper earlier hours? Why would the intelligent app say the slot isn’t until 2.30am?

I just tried the switch as my PWs were at 60% and the test charge worked immediately. That’s fine as I’m on battery until 00:30. I’ve now got this screen. The Octopus App and Website show different status but I guess their tentacles need to untwine. It looks like I’m done and it was far easier than I expected. Well done Octopus and thanks all here

View attachment 918639View attachment 918640View attachment 918641
Why is it only giving you an hour at cheap rate?

Why is it only giving you an hour at cheap rate?
Because I had charged the car at 5p/kWh to 80% with GO the night before, so I wanted to top it up just 5% more as the price was now 10p/kWh and I needed to test IO.

I've since been away and the car is now around 30%, but I'm hoping solar will charge it, but with a miserable March so far, that looks unlikely,

Reactions: Tigermad
For those that are setting the car to only charge after 11.30, if the octopus app says it wants to charge from 02.30-04:30 only, does the car still start charging at 11.30? If so, why isn’t it working properly like it should? I thought the idea was to use the times they want to help with the load on the grid?

Can someone confirm that when Octopus give you extra hours it shows the times on the app? People elsewhere are saying they plug the car in now and it starts charging at cheaper rate even though the schedule says the rate starts at 2.30am. Surely the starting at 2.30am isn’t right? I thought it starts at 11.30pm if there are no cheaper earlier hours? Why would the intelligent app say the slot isn’t until 2.30am?
All explained in the OP.

Reactions: Cardo
For those that are setting the car to only charge after 11.30, if the octopus app says it wants to charge from 02.30-04:30 only, does the car still start charging at 11.30? If so, why isn’t it working properly like it should? I thought the idea was to use the times they want to help with the load on the grid?
I may have this wrong, but with 11:30pm as the start time in the car I believe IO would work to the schedule (i.e. later) if that is what was planned.

The good thing is, if you get delivered an earlier 11pm slot (for example) IO starts the charge earlier.

I suppose I'm saying that I didn't think the car started charging at 11:30pm regardless, I thought IO controlled the charge as and when it wanted.

Happy to be corrected tho...

I may have this wrong, but with 11:30pm as the start time in the car I believe IO would work to the schedule (i.e. later) if that is what was planned.

The good thing is, if you get delivered an earlier 11pm slot (for example) IO starts the charge earlier.

I suppose I'm saying that I didn't think the car started charging at 11:30pm regardless, I thought IO controlled the charge as and when it wanted.

Happy to be corrected tho...
We had problems until I set the Tesla to only accept charge at 23:30. Since then I have been monitoring what's going on. We have been sent all sorts of charge schedules, but the car always starts charging at 23:30 regardless. Yesterdays schedule was 02:30-03:00, 03:00-05:30 but it was fully charged by 02:30. So I'm not sure I really understand what they are doing.

Reactions: spooksman
So I'm not sure I really understand what they are doing.
In a nutshell the car is being sent a schedule, you're overriding that schedule having it start at 23:30 by means of a trigger from the car, then the API is not being polled and updated again before the charge is finished.

This is the issue with setting a override charge at 23:30. Yes you get it off-peak so in that sense it's fine, but the tariff is designed to use HH slots of low carbon intensity.

When people complain Intelligent isn't Intelligent, it's their workarounds for the lack of API polling which are making it 'dumb'. If you get the schedule and let the schedule do its thing rather than overriding locally in the car, it will charge to the schedule.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
We had problems until I set the Tesla to only accept charge at 23:30. Since then I have been monitoring what's going on. We have been sent all sorts of charge schedules, but the car always starts charging at 23:30 regardless. Yesterdays schedule was 02:30-03:00, 03:00-05:30 but it was fully charged by 02:30. So I'm not sure I really understand what they are doing.
This is exactly the problem. I’m due to go on this next month and know it’s still beta but wonder why the schedules don’t go to plan. I thought the whole idea is to charge it when Octopus say the best times are. I know it will still charge but it’s not really intelligent is it?

In a nutshell the car is being sent a schedule, you're overriding that schedule having it start at 23:30 by means of a trigger from the car, then the API is not being polled and updated again before the charge is finished.

This is the issue with setting a override charge at 23:30. Yes you get it off-peak so in that sense it's fine, but the tariff is designed to use HH slots of low carbon intensity.

When people complain Intelligent isn't Intelligent, it's their workarounds for the lack of API polling which are making it 'dumb'. If you get the schedule and let the schedule do its thing rather than overriding locally in the car, it will charge to the schedule.
But peoples cars start charging in peak time as soon as you plug in. That’s why they set it to only charger after 11.30. How else can you stop this happening?

Yes on the Tesla app. The car won't start charging again unless it receives another signal from the app, or from the created Octopus schedule.
Ok that sounds worth a try thanks a lot. It really doesn't sound complicated, but if you don't know exactly what to do it looks like it can go wrong either way (wrong rate or not as green as it should be). It does surprise me that the Octopus support team weren't able to explain this (we spoke to six different Octopus support people and were none the wiser). There must be a lot of people in a similar situation who prevent charging before 23:30 by scheduling their car.

It also raises a few other issues. On the 23rd March we were only given a schedule with 3 half hour slots. If the car had needed a deep charge that would not have been enough. Is IO smart enough to know roughly how much charge we needed and plan accordingly?

If the charge is switched off via the app is there any danger that it will switch back on again if someone has to go out to the car to get something, unlocks it and wakes it up or does something else?

If we arrive home before 23:30 and plug in, is there any danger that IO will immediately send a schedule and start charging the car at the cheap rate right then only to have us use the Tesla app to stop charging a few moments later?

These aren't necessarily show stoppers but I would like to understand how it works.