Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you setting the Tesla app charge % to match what is set in the Octopus app?

I've tried this method a couple of times and because of the flakiness of getting stop commands from IO, I've found it will just carry on charging right up to whatever is set in the Tesla app. Tried it again today: 60% in Octopus and a 70% cap in the Tesla app. Car charged all the way to 70%.
Have it set to 80% on both apps. Octopus and car both set to depart by 8am too, hence why it used a bit of shore power to get the car warm.

Also to answer @HenryT 's question about setting a later off peak time. The consequence of that is that if IO fails to meet your SOC, stopping a few % short, as it tends to do, then the car will finish off that last few % in peak hours. Now since I'm not fussed if I have 77% or 80% on a morning, I'd rather not have the last 3% at all, than have it at peak rate.
Thanks for clarify that @Garry TheBiz

(I haven't migrated to IO yet but am about to do so and trying to get my head round it in advance)

So I’ve been having an issue with OI scheduled charges failing to start. A couple of times I’ve caught it and managed to start charging manually from the app, but other times woken to find the car has only added a few kw.

I’ve also seen comments where people have reported this to Octopus to be told Octopus couldn’t communicate with the car. So, I’ve kind of logically linked this to issue where you go into the Tesla phone app and it just sits there saying “last seen x hours / minutes ago” and either doesn’t connect unless set It to unlock / lock or switch on AC.

Has anyone else experienced this and successfully sorted it, whether by a Tesla service visit or workaround. I’ve seen comments where people have had the connection fail issue fixed with a Tesla service visit where they have replaced the comms module and others saying they had a service visit cancelled as the issue will be fixed with a software update.

I guess the workaround is to set a charging schedule in the car (once a connection is established) to match the Octopus schedule or just go for 23.30-0530, but I guess Octopus would not be happy with that. When charging at home is your primary charging method it needs to be reliable.

So I’ve been having an issue with OI scheduled charges failing to start. A couple of times I’ve caught it and managed to start charging manually from the app, but other times woken to find the car has only added a few kw.

I’ve also seen comments where people have reported this to Octopus to be told Octopus couldn’t communicate with the car. So, I’ve kind of logically linked this to issue where you go into the Tesla phone app and it just sits there saying “last seen x hours / minutes ago” and either doesn’t connect unless set It to unlock / lock or switch on AC.

Has anyone else experienced this and successfully sorted it, whether by a Tesla service visit or workaround. I’ve seen comments where people have had the connection fail issue fixed with a Tesla service visit where they have replaced the comms module and others saying they had a service visit cancelled as the issue will be fixed with a software update.

I guess the workaround is to set a charging schedule in the car (once a connection is established) to match the Octopus schedule or just go for 23.30-0530, but I guess Octopus would not be happy with that. When charging at home is your primary charging method it needs to be reliable.
I wouldn't get hung up on the % showing in the car after a charge.

What the BMS reports to the API and what the BMS reports as available on the display are often two different things, especially in this cold weather. If you think you're getting short changed, ask the Octopus app for 5% more.

or just go for 23.30-0530, but I guess Octopus would not be happy with that. When charging at home is your primary charging method it needs to be reliable.
If you set the start time at 23:30, then just as if you plug in when you get home from work, OI has the opportunity to stop charging and let it play their game. If you turn off OI and do it yourself, then you will be outside the T&C's after a month, as it requires a smart charge at least once per month.

Reactions: Markee68
Tried last night using Off-Peak in the Tesla app last night. 05:30 end time, then set both app and IO to 70% by 8am. I'm pretty sure, IO did it's thing overnight but to the usual 69%, then I'm pretty sure the Tesla app topped it up to 70% at around 7:30 as I got a Tesla app alert saying charging complete at about 7:40.

I'll try again tonight to see if this issue repeats. I was only charging from 50% so plenty of off-peak time to complete.

I hear what everything says about IO will do it's thing no matter what, and I'm keen to not have to stop the charge every evening I plug in, but I'm still unsure if the conflict of the both car and IO managing the charging starting is without issue. Is there an impact on IO if it starts/stops during or in between schedules?

Will keep trying but open to advice if I've missed things. I know 1% morning top-up is not significant but it's no improvement on stopping the initial evening charge.

I wouldn't get hung up on the % showing in the car after a charge.

What the BMS reports to the API and what the BMS reports as available on the display are often two different things, especially in this cold weather. If you think you're getting short changed, ask the Octopus app for 5% more.
Not sure if you’ve maybe replied to the wrong post as I didn’t mention anything about indicated charge level in my post?

My issue appears to be with IO not being able to communicate with the car to start charging at the scheduled times.

I've just made the switch to IO and completed the test charge.

I'm now waiting for my first set of slots to appear in the app. It's a couple of hours after 5pm now which is when the app tells me it will provide the slots from.

The car has been plugged in all afternoon and is currently asleep. Do I need to go and unplug it and plug it back in again to prompt octopus for the slots? Or do I just continue to wait...?

I tried to switch to octopus intelligent tariff. But could not get it to work. Multiple emails over months.

We have only one Tesla MY and a zappi.

I have 3 other Tesla's in the app. But there not mine.

Switched to octopus Go tariff for now.
I have one more Tesla on order.
They said they don't support 2 cars at the moment.

Going to charge on the go tariff my victron, 3 phase setup with 82kWh battery up when installed.
Going to be eye watering pulling 47kW for 4 hours to charge the cars and battery.

I've just made the switch to IO and completed the test charge.

I'm now waiting for my first set of slots to appear in the app. It's a couple of hours after 5pm now which is when the app tells me it will provide the slots from.

The car has been plugged in all afternoon and is currently asleep. Do I need to go and unplug it and plug it back in again to prompt octopus for the slots? Or do I just continue to wait...?
On my 'first charge' after switching I had to go out, unplug and plug back in.

Others have said adjusting the percentage required in the app triggers a schedule.

Reactions: chwe
Pending proper IO support from MyEnergi, I’ve been having a play and have settled on the following configuration:

No schedule set in car.
Zappi set to Eco+ from 0655 to 2330 hrs. HomeAssistant sets Zappi to Fast at 2330 and back to Eco+ at 0655.
Smart charging enabled in the Octopus app. Departure set to 0700 hrs.
Siri automation to turn on car pre-heat at 0700 hrs.

This setup seems to work, however does have some quirks. For starters, although the car is plugged in all evening, IO doesn’t seem to realise this and will only formulate a charge plan when the Zappi switches to Fast at 2330 and the car starts charging. IO then maps a charge between 2330 and 0700 hrs and does its thing. This setup does stop IO from mapping charges before 2330 and I might lose out on some cheaper leccy for the house, but I figure it’s not the end of the world.

As the Zappi switches back to Eco+ at 0655, the car doesn’t draw from the grid when it starts pre-heating at 0700 hrs. (Though the Zappi does have a bug with pre-conditioning at the moment, so it does draw momentarily, before it stops again.)

The primary reason for going with this setup is I only need to change a single setting in order to charge from surplus solar during the day. By turning off Smart charge in the Octopus app, the car will then charge from surplus PV without having to make any other changes. I can then either leave it to top up at 2330 hrs on Fast (which will cover the charge in off-peak rates as long as I don’t need more than 60%), or re-enable smart charging and let IO take the wheel overnight (and possibly benefit from extra off-peak periods).

I’m a newbie to IO, so I may be missing something, but I think this setup currently gives me the best of both worlds where I don’t need to make lots of changes to make use of surplus PV, whilst avoiding drawing from the grid during peak hours and still enjoying an element of IO.

• Helpful
Reactions: Garry TheBiz
Thanks.

I went out a bit earlier to unplug/re-plug and no luck, so have just bumped the charge limit up by 5% to see if that makes any difference.
On the rare occasions where I don’t get a slot or I plug in earlier than 5pm I find going into the Tesla app, starting a charge then stopping it after a few minutes gets me a schedule shortly after.

Reactions: chwe