Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the best option is to wire the system so the home battery can't see the power a car is taking.

That's how we've wired ours.

Two 22kW wall chargers on 3 Phase (each side of the driveway), wired into a 3 Phase distribution unit outside immediately after the meter.

As it's upstream the Powerwalls don't see them.

The Powerwalls then see the Solar and another 7kW wall charger which is used for controlling excess solar from the Powerwalls into the car of choice.

Works great.

This means the Powerwalls charge by schedule, store excess solar and protect the house.

The two grid 22kW fast chargers do what they want at any time day or night.

Two 22kW wall chargers on 3 Phase (each side of the driveway), wired into a 3 Phase distribution unit outside immediately after the meter.

The Powerwalls then see the Solar and another 7kW wall charger which is used for controlling excess solar from the Powerwalls into the car of choice.

Works great.

This means the Powerwalls charge by schedule, store excess solar and protect the house.

I think you have a fairly unique set up that would allow 2 chargers to be configured this way. For most with one charger being used for solar, the inverter needs to see all of the house load to function as intended.

I think you have a fairly unique set up that would allow 2 chargers to be configured this way. For most with one charger being used for solar, the inverter needs to see all of the house load to function as intended.
If the charger is on its own CU, you can actually place the inverter CT in such a position that it completely ignores the car charging and won’t drain the house battery into the car. It does mean the inverter won’t see and monitor what the car is doing, but it does work. MyEnergi offer it as a solution if you’re having problems with a hybrid battery draining whilst charging during overnight boosts.

If the charger is on its own CU, you can actually place the inverter CT in such a position that it completely ignores the car charging and won’t drain the house battery into the car. It does mean the inverter won’t see and monitor what the car is doing, but it does work. MyEnergi offer it as a solution if you’re having problems with a hybrid battery draining whilst charging during overnight boosts.
The issue with the inverter not seeing the car charger activity during solar charging is that it will think there is an excess of solar and try to charge the home battery to match the excess. If a solar integrated charger like a zappi is being used, this will stop the car charging until the home battery is full which might not be what you want. If a non solar integrated charger is being used then the car will continue charging as well as the home battery. The extra energy required will come from the grid during peak rate (when the sun is out).
I don't have discharge issues during the IO off peak period as my system (givenergy) can be set to not discharge during these periods.

Last edited:

Works great.

I've checked out Tesla CT clamps. My EV chargers are wired via the non-backup contacts in the Gateway; I'm beginning to wonder if the connection should have been made to the Live conductor before it went into the Gateway.

Apologies if this has already been asked but going through 62 pages to check seems a bit daunting.

I’m currently on Octopus Go and charge my M3 by simply restricting my OHME charger to off peak charges. When it’s plugged in it starts charging at 0030 and stops when it’s full or 0430 whichever comes first. Great.

I’m about to move to IO and I understand it might charge at random times of the day so as long as it’s full by 0700 that’s fine.

So my question is when I sign up it asks if I want to connect my Car or my charger to the account. What is the best way to do this so it is as simple as possible, preferably avoiding messing around with the actual Tesla scheduled charging function which I find quite hard to understand or explain to my wife. ie replicate my current setup as far as possible. Link to OHME?

TIA

The issue with the inverter not seeing the car charger activity during solar charging is that it will think there is an excess of solar and try to charge the home battery to match the excess. If a solar integrated charger like a zappi is being used, this will stop the car charging until the home battery is full which might not be what you want. If a non solar integrated charger is being used then the car will continue charging as well as the home battery. The extra energy required will come from the grid during peak rate (when the sun is out).
I don't have discharge issues during the IO off peak period as my system (givenergy) can be set to not discharge during these periods.
With hybrid inverters, it’s generally not possible to prioritise Zappi/Eddi over the battery, as the inverters won’t generate export until the battery is full, or there is more PV production than the battery can take. So I don’t see how your situation would arise?

Apologies if this has already been asked but going through 62 pages to check seems a bit daunting.

I’m currently on Octopus Go and charge my M3 by simply restricting my OHME charger to off peak charges. When it’s plugged in it starts charging at 0030 and stops when it’s full or 0430 whichever comes first. Great.

I’m about to move to IO and I understand it might charge at random times of the day so as long as it’s full by 0700 that’s fine.

So my question is when I sign up it asks if I want to connect my Car or my charger to the account. What is the best way to do this so it is as simple as possible, preferably avoiding messing around with the actual Tesla scheduled charging function which I find quite hard to understand or explain to my wife. ie replicate my current setup as far as possible. Link to OHME?

TIA
Its personal preference really depending on circumstances and needs. Ohme works best for me.

what are the pros and cons?
I too would go with Ohme integration at the moment:

Cons:
  • You can't really see the schedule it creates like the one the Octopus app creates. The graph in the Ohme app is (currently) pants.

Pros:
  • It will instantly create the schedule and you can avoid all the messing with the Tesla API and the issues that's having at the moment, like being slow to stop charging on plug in etc.
  • You can use the Ohme to charge ANY EV on Intelligent e.g. 2nd car, guests etc.

Just follow the onboarding instructions carefully for Ohme.

Reactions: Nd4me and redrog
Anyones fixed Go tariff ended recently? I know a while back they were leaving people on the old tariff at renewal time.
I’ve had the usual email with new rates etc, and I’m looking at moving to IO (lesser of evils really), but it’s worth asking if anyone has played dumb and managed to stay on their old rates……

Anyones fixed Go tariff ended recently? I know a while back they were leaving people on the old tariff at renewal time.
I’ve had the usual email with new rates etc, and I’m looking at moving to IO (lesser of evils really), but it’s worth asking if anyone has played dumb and managed to stay on their old rates……
If you don’t opt for the new Go (or another tariff), they dump you onto their flexible rate. No playing dumb, I’m afraid.

With hybrid inverters, it’s generally not possible to prioritise Zappi/Eddi over the battery, as the inverters won’t generate export until the battery is full, or there is more PV production than the battery can take. So I don’t see how your situation would arise?
I've not got a zappi. But if I did, on a bright 🌞 day with the car parked at home for some of the day. I would prefer to prioritise filling the large car battery while it's at home so as to keep a chunk of charging capacity in the home battery for later in the day when the car is no longer at home. To do this, I would select 'fast' mode on the zappi and limit the current in the car to match the excess. This maximising excess solar to my use rather than exporting because the home battery is full, the waters hot (if using Eddi) and the cars no longer at home.
This example scenario couldn't be achieved with the CT clamp being installed so as not to see the load from charging activity during the day.

I've not got a zappi. But if I did, on a bright 🌞 day with the car parked at home for some of the day. I would prefer to prioritise filling the large car battery while it's at home so as to keep a chunk of charging capacity in the home battery for later in the day when the car is no longer at home. To do this, I would select 'fast' mode on the zappi and limit the current in the car to match the excess. This maximising excess solar to my use rather than exporting because the home battery is full, the waters hot (if using Eddi) and the cars no longer at home.
This example scenario couldn't be achieved with the CT clamp being installed so as not to see the load from charging activity during the day.
Each to their own. Though, there wouldn’t be much point getting a Zappi, if you weren’t going to let it do its thing.

Personally, I allow the house battery to charge first (would be grief to do anything else), then I have the Zappi as the higher priority and Eddi lower. Once the house battery is full, the Zappi tends to kick in. Once the car is either topped up, heads out, or surplus drops below 1.4kW, the Eddi picks up the slack and tops up the hot water. We very rarely export, and that’s only when everything’s topped up.

Not that it matters, but I have my CTs in the regular spots, as I am able to stop my house battery from discharging during our of-peak period and therefore it doesn’t discharge into the car during an overnight boost.

Reactions: Drew57 and Nd4me
Good afternoon,

I have been reading this thread with interest as my 'GO' deal comes to an end 23/03/23, I admit I haven't read all 62 pages and am more than a little confused. I'm also not long off the phone with Octopus, and still none the wiser.
The new Go price and IO price seem to be the same apart from off peak with 12p Go and 10p IO.

They told me IO can take a bit more work on my part with setting charge limits etc, and has to be done through the app and not my charger (hypervolt) or Tesla app. But if my car is plugged in it can charge through the day and not just at off peak between 23.00 - 05.30hrs. I asked at what rate and she said she doesn't know, it could be 10p or more, but cheaper than peak rate.

so....

Can I set the car charge to 100% as it is now and set t to just charge 23.00 - 05.30, cutting off at 05.30 regardless of charge reached? or will it continue at peak rate to 100%?

She also said I have to connect my Tesla account through the Octopus App. When I am home and car is parked on the drive charging the location in the app is shown at number 19 and not 13 where I live. Its close but not perfect. will this affect it?

Thank you

Richard

Good afternoon,

I have been reading this thread with interest as my 'GO' deal comes to an end 23/03/23, I admit I haven't read all 62 pages and am more than a little confused. I'm also not long off the phone with Octopus, and still none the wiser.
The new Go price and IO price seem to be the same apart from off peak with 12p Go and 10p IO.

They told me IO can take a bit more work on my part with setting charge limits etc, and has to be done through the app and not my charger (hypervolt) or Tesla app. But if my car is plugged in it can charge through the day and not just at off peak between 23.00 - 05.30hrs. I asked at what rate and she said she doesn't know, it could be 10p or more, but cheaper than peak rate.

so....

Can I set the car charge to 100% as it is now and set t to just charge 23.00 - 05.30, cutting off at 05.30 regardless of charge reached? or will it continue at peak rate to 100%?

She also said I have to connect my Tesla account through the Octopus App. When I am home and car is parked on the drive charging the location in the app is shown at number 19 and not 13 where I live. Its close but not perfect. will this affect it?

Thank you

Richard
if you set it to 100%, it'll calculate how much time it needs to reach 100%. if needed to charge out of 23.30-05.30 hours, to reach the SoC that you are asking for, then this will be charged as off-peak as well.

regarding location: To set the IO, you need to make a test charge. It'll use this location, wherever it is. If you charge at the same location thereafter, it doesn't matter what address it reads.

Reactions: Fury1
if you set it to 100%, it'll calculate how much time it needs to reach 100%. if needed to charge out of 23.30-05.30 hours, to reach the SoC that you are asking for, then this will be charged as off-peak as well.

regarding location: To set the IO, you need to make a test charge. It'll use this location, wherever it is. If you charge at the same location thereafter, it doesn't matter what address it reads.

So no matter how long it takes to get to 100% it will all be charged at 10p (off peak rate)?