Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been monitoring this thread as my GO ends in April. Currently 4 hours gets me 50% charge and on average I charge every 3rd night. When I look at IO, I think, good I can charge for 6 hours (or 75% of battery) every 4-5 days instead, for a cheaper price. That's great, but how does that help with demand on the grid? Surely it would be better to plug in every night and for Octopus to add 17% during the night when electricity is cheapest.
So can anyone tell me what the advantage of IO is for Octopus over GO because it doesn't make sense to me? Especially if they have to charge during peak hours when it can'tbe charged suring the 6 hour period...

I've been monitoring this thread as my GO ends in April. Currently 4 hours gets me 50% charge and on average I charge every 3rd night. When I look at IO, I think, good I can charge for 6 hours (or 75% of battery) every 4-5 days instead, for a cheaper price. That's great, but how does that help with demand on the grid? Surely it would be better to plug in every night and for Octopus to add 17% during the night when electricity is cheapest.
So can anyone tell me what the advantage of IO is for Octopus over GO because it doesn't make sense to me? Especially if they have to charge during peak hours when it can'tbe charged suring the 6 hour period...
They get to control when people charge, therefore spreading load and avoiding charging during peaks. As a user, you benefit from a cheaper off-peak rate that lasts longer.

Plug in every night and ask for a charge upto 75%, and they will choose the slots with the most excess wind etc

Set my charge for 90% ready by 09:00 tomorrow on IO this evening.

Current charge level in car was 25% so was waiting to see what mapped charge appeared?

Looks over at my smart meter and it’s pushing out 4.2kW so knowing it was grabbing from the grid already and also draining my battery I went into the Tesla app and stopped the charge.

I then checked out the IO app and saw this…
44ACFD63-1F1A-4DC0-BE81-1F1F00ED4C8D.jpeg
So I’ve decided to let it run and see what happens.

According to T&C’s as we know everything this evening must now cheap rate. How that works on a Friday night I don’t know but my bill is due on Monday so will watch this space. As I have a screenshot of the mapped charge then if there’s a problem I’ll message the Octopus.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I refresh the app at some point and find the schedule changed but will live and learn for one night.

So far IO has more than surpassed my expectations and not once started on its own (as I have scheduled start set for 11:30) except for this evenings early start.

Fingers crossed 🤞

Looks over at my smart meter and it’s pushing out 4.2kW so knowing it was grabbing from the grid already and also draining my battery I went into the Tesla app and stopped the charge

I think you need to move the sensor your battery uses to measure your home usage so it does not see your EV charger. (Clearly it would be better I'd the battery used the Octopus API)

They get to control when people charge, therefore spreading load and avoiding charging during peaks. As a user, you benefit from a cheaper off-peak rate that lasts longer.
But that only works if everyone does a partial charge every day, but it's more convenient to plug in less often and fully charge using the 6 hour window.
There doesn't seem to be any incentive to do small daily charges, giving time (within the 6 hour period) to schedule the best times, rather than (the more convenient) one large charge every 4-5 days, that has no room to schedule best times...

Firstly, this is a great thread. Thanks to everyone for all 63 pages of contributions!

I’ve been reading each page since I began the switch to IO earlier in the week. I’m trying to run the test charge this evening, but once selecting my car, charger type and entering my Tesla account details, the app goes back to ‘Sign in to your Tesla account’.

I’ve tried force quitting the app, restarting my phone etc. but I get stuck at the same point each time. I also logged in to Tesla.com to make sure I had my user name and password correct, which I did.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Reactions: tdjohn
But that only works if everyone does a partial charge every day, but it's more convenient to plug in less often and fully charge using the 6 hour window.
There doesn't seem to be any incentive to do small daily charges, giving time (within the 6 hour period) to schedule the best times, rather than (the more convenient) one large charge every 4-5 days, that has no room to schedule best times...
The tariff doesn't work like that. You set what you need, and by what time you need it and Octopus decide the best charging times to get there.

There is absolutely no guarantee or stipulation that the charging window it picks has to fall in the 23:30-05:30 window.

You might decide you need to top up 10% by 10am the following morning. Octopus may decide to give you a 08:30-10:00am charge slot.

Set my charge for 90% ready by 09:00 tomorrow on IO this evening.

Current charge level in car was 25% so was waiting to see what mapped charge appeared?

Looks over at my smart meter and it’s pushing out 4.2kW so knowing it was grabbing from the grid already and also draining my battery I went into the Tesla app and stopped the charge.

I then checked out the IO app and saw this…View attachment 908363So I’ve decided to let it run and see what happens.

According to T&C’s as we know everything this evening must now cheap rate. How that works on a Friday night I don’t know but my bill is due on Monday so will watch this space. As I have a screenshot of the mapped charge then if there’s a problem I’ll message the Octopus.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I refresh the app at some point and find the schedule changed but will live and learn for one night.

So far IO has more than surpassed my expectations and not once started on its own (as I have scheduled start set for 11:30) except for this evenings early start.

Fingers crossed 🤞
Well earlier today the percentage of electricity produced by wind was over 45% so this may explain the prolonged time slot that you got. Not sure though.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
Firstly, this is a great thread. Thanks to everyone for all 63 pages of contributions!

I’ve been reading each page since I began the switch to IO earlier in the week. I’m trying to run the test charge this evening, but once selecting my car, charger type and entering my Tesla account details, the app goes back to ‘Sign in to your Tesla account’.

I’ve tried force quitting the app, restarting my phone etc. but I get stuck at the same point each time. I also logged in to Tesla.com to make sure I had my user name and password correct, which I did.

It's a known fault that they're working on. Unable to link any tesla to IO at the moment. Sign in error. Suspect tesla have changed their api without telling the energy companies.

This is a known fault and they're working on it. It's not possible to link any tesla to IO at the moment. Login error. I suspect tesla have changed their api without telling the energy companies.

You don’t happen to have 2 Tesla’s by any chance? Just saying as I couldn’t do anything until I deleted one from my Tesla app. Once system set up I just put it right back in there. Has no impact once configured, it was like a miracle.

You’d probably find many/most people plug in every/most nights as they like to keep their cars topped up. They also won’t need a full 6 hours worth of charging, which allows Octopus to spread out charging throughout the night. Some people will only plug in occasionally and need a full 6 hours, but they’re likely to be an insignificant minority.

Reactions: ringi
The problem linking to your Tesla account is definitely something that Tesla have done since I have the exact same problem trying to link to my OHME account. But as I’ve set up my IO account to control the charger, it’s all working fine.

I am actually wondering if it’s actually a good thing that IO thinks my car is on 0% because won’t it schedule extra charging slots in the evening to try to fill it up?

Reactions: ringi
Yes, Tesla have changed the security, from what I've read it's something to do with the code_verifier as part of the security, they previously didn't verify, they do now. It will be interesting to see how much breaks with those using 3rd party apps. I believe they're also rate limiting IP addresses to prevent hacking so that might be a secondary problem for the companies that have lots of cars on their API, although a few sites like Teslafi are still reporting activity so presumably it is solvable.

Yes, Tesla have changed the security, from what I've read it's something to do with the code_verifier as part of the security, they previously didn't verify, they do now. It will be interesting to see how much breaks with those using 3rd party apps. I believe they're also rate limiting IP addresses to prevent hacking so that might be a secondary problem for the companies that have lots of cars on their API, although a few sites like Teslafi are still reporting activity so presumably it is solvable.
Yes there's a change, but it only seems to impact poorly written code
My personal code didn't blink
I offer assistance on GitHub from time to time