Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
So it is not possible to go on a long holiday for more than 30-days, at least not with one's EV car.

(not that it matters to me yet as this tariff is only available for those with an EV car - even though we have 30kWh of storage we'd be happy to use on IO a lot more days of the year than the average EV would participate, including when we are away)
If most certainly is. As I’ve mentioned a handful of times, I’ve been in Spain for the past 3+ months and Octopus have not made any issue of this. Some people who have removed their car from the app have been emailed to ask and a reasonable explanation makes the issue go away.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
…and here is the absolute definitive answer. Charge once a month!

The 'active authorisation" is having your vehicle/charger configured in the Octopus app with Intelligent Octopus, this is where we can see on your account a linked device. If you don't have a device set with our app, we will remove the tariff after 30 days. In addition to this, it's part of the T&Cs that you must smart charge via Intelligent Octopus/our app a minimum of once every 30 days.
I wonder whether they have another set of T&Cs that mention this “smart charge once a month” thing as I can’t see it in the T&Cs on the site. The only requirement time wise is not to exceed 30 days without a vehicle being authorised.

Octopus really need to sort out their T&Cs.

I’ve moved from Go tariff to IO and I have a Tesla Model Y and a Zappi v2.

We have two EV’s in the household and we charge alternative nights. When charging the Peugeot which is not compatible with IO, do I continue with the schedule charge set in the car as I did with go? I do I need to do anything in the Octopus App?

We have two EV’s in the household and we charge alternative nights. When charging the Peugeot which is not compatible with IO, do I continue with the schedule charge set in the car as I did with go? I do I need to do anything in the Octopus App?
Yes just continue as you did before although you can obviously extend the schedule for the Pug.

Reactions: JP1611

Yeah, just use the Peugeot or Zappi schedule to charge between 2330-0530.

I’d be grateful if somebody could confirm my understanding on whether IO is possible with my 2 EVs as Octopus recently contradicted what I’m seeing here - particularly in recent posts.

Could you hit 👍🏻 (or otherwise 👎 ) if it should be possible for me to go to IO as an owner of a M3 and a Peugeot e208 with a Podpoint charger. I’d want to use the Podpoint charger for both cars and not resort to a granny charger for the Pug (as I understand Octopus can’t talk to it yet).

I’ll challenge the reply from Octopus if it’s possible.

TIA

I’d be grateful if somebody could confirm my understanding on whether IO is possible with my 2 EVs as Octopus recently contradicted what I’m seeing here - particularly in recent posts.

Could you hit 👍🏻 (or otherwise 👎 ) if it should be possible for me to go to IO as an owner of a M3 and a Peugeot e208 with a Podpoint charger. I’d want to use the Podpoint charger for both cars and not resort to a granny charger for the Pug (as I understand Octopus can’t talk to it yet).

I’ll challenge the reply from Octopus if it’s possible.

TIA

Short answer is : it’s possible, but you will need to do some « manual » configuration and won’t be able to use all the benefits of IO « plug and forget » for cheap rates.

To understand the concept behind this:

- IO needs to « talk » to either a compatible car, or a compatible charger for Smart Charging. You can only have one linked at any time.
- Only Ohme chargers are directly supported, not Podpoint at present.

So in your case, you would need to link it to your M3 (I don’t believe Peugeot is supported at the moment anyway).

So when you will plug in your M3 to podpoint, you will benefit from smart charging cheap rates, possibly outside the 23.30-5.30 range, and IO will tell the car when to start charging and when to stop.

But if you plug in the Peugeot, it will start charging immediately at peak rate. And will not generate a smart schedule.

To mitigate this, you can probably set up the podpoint to only deliver power between 23.30 and 5.30 am. But that also means that when you plug in the Tesla, you will not benefit from potential extra slots from IO.

Alternatively, if you can configure a start and end time in the Peugeot instead to make sure that it only charges on the cheap rate this could work too

Last edited:
Short answer is : it’s possible, but you will need to do some « manual » configuration and won’t be able to use all the benefits of IO « plug and forget » for cheap rates.

To understand the concept behind this:

- IO needs to « talk » to either a compatible car, or a compatible charger for Smart Charging. You can only have one linked at any time.
- Only Ohme chargers are directly supported, not Podpoint at present.

So in your case, you would need to link it to your M3 (I don’t believe Peugeot is supported at the moment anyway).

So when you will plug in your M3 to podpoint, you will benefit from smart charging cheap rates, possibly outside the 23.30-5.30 range, and IO will tell the car when to start charging and when to stop.

But if you plug in the Peugeot, it will start charging immediately at peak rate. And will not generate a smart schedule.

To mitigate this, you can probably set up the podpoint to only deliver power between 23.30 and 5.30 am. But that also means that when you plug in the Tesla, you will not benefit from potential extra slots from IO.

Alternatively, if you can configure a start and end time in the Peugeot instead to make sure that it only charges on the cheap rate this could work too
Very informative and useful - looks like I’m going back to Octopus to change tariff.

Thank you!

I had to check whether I’d asked the right question back in late may and I think I did. 🤷‍♂️

We have a Pod point charger for our EVs - a Tesla Model 3 and Peugeot e208. The Tesla does way more miles (and hence requires loads more electricity than the e208).
As you don’t currently support the e208 (under your OI plan) I understood that your Intelligent option wasn’t suitable but I’ve just seen on a Tesla discussion forum that it’s still possible to charge the e208 overnight (at discounted rates?) whilst the Tesla is the one which you will charge more intelligently at lower rates.
Is it possible and better for me to be on the Intelligent tariff?

Answer :
We regularly update our IO website and eligibility criteria's so it would be worth checking here and there to see if you’re able to go on that tariff online.

I probably should have picked up that the person who replied likely just gave a quick response to get thru a email backlog.

Thanks again for the confirmation it’s possible.

• Funny
Reactions: Rooster6655
FYI. I think the octopus servers are down at the moment

Car failed to charge on Intelligent last night and as of right now it's not showing up as a device on my account in the app whilst on the web I can't log into account at all. Get an error message saying I don't have permission.

Have spoken to Octopus on phone who are investigating as on first glance at their end they say everything seems to be showing as okay. Nothing changed at my end, so not sure where issue is. Will try going back to car controlled charging in the meantime and see if that works tonight.

Car failed to charge on Intelligent last night and as of right now it's not showing up as a device on my account in the app whilst on the web I can't log into account at all. Get an error message saying I don't have permission.

Have spoken to Octopus on phone who are investigating as on first glance at their end they say everything seems to be showing as okay. Nothing changed at my end, so not sure where issue is. Will try going back to car controlled charging in the meantime and see if that works tonight.

And about an hour after speaking to them on the phone both app and website seem to be back as they should be again. So either a coincidence or very good and prompt customer service! Will see what happens with the Intelligent scheduled charge tonight.

I joined Octopus IO yesterday and successfully got a test charge but as I didn't need any charge I unplugged my (Tesla) wall charger and the car wasn't going to sleep so 'disconnected' the car from IO.

Used enough juice today to warrant a top up charge so at various times today I tried to use the App to turn IO back on but sometimes took ages to log me in and was not even showing 'devices' :(

Eventually managed to log in and reconnect IO, turned off timed charging in the car and then plugged in the car charger - it started charging for a few moment then I 'stopped charge' in the car.

Tried to use the App again several times without success and at one point got a notification bubble about some charging slots so tapped on it to find out more but it took me to a duff App connection again with no devices showing.

Eventually got into the App and it's showing the "plug in and we'll create a charging schedule" - but it is plugged in now and the info in the notification I received disappeared and there's no reference to a schedule.

Where does the charging schedule appear?

I joined Octopus IO yesterday and successfully got a test charge but as I didn't need any charge I unplugged my (Tesla) wall charger and the car wasn't going to sleep so 'disconnected' the car from IO.

Used enough juice today to warrant a top up charge so at various times today I tried to use the App to turn IO back on but sometimes took ages to log me in and was not even showing 'devices' :(

Eventually managed to log in and reconnect IO, turned off timed charging in the car and then plugged in the car charger - it started charging for a few moment then I 'stopped charge' in the car.

Tried to use the App again several times without success and at one point got a notification bubble about some charging slots so tapped on it to find out more but it took me to a duff App connection again with no devices showing.

Eventually got into the App and it's showing the "plug in and we'll create a charging schedule" - but it is plugged in now and the info in the notification I received disappeared and there's no reference to a schedule.

I would suggest that if you don’t need to charge the car just don’t plug it in.
I guess turning IO off and on a lot is more likely to cause issues.
I believe the schedules will be produced some time after 17:00ish so maybe check again after dinner :)

I would suggest that if you don’t need to charge the car just don’t plug it in.
I guess turning IO off and on a lot is more likely to cause issues.
I believe the schedules will be produced some time after 17:00ish so maybe check again after dinner :)

I turned IO off because, according to Teslafi, my Tesla was not going to sleep even though it was unplugged.
I think IO was pinging the car to check if it was plugged in.
Meanwhile, Teslafi claimed the car was "idling" all the time though there was minimal power usage.
I though Octopus were fixing that keeping awake problem?

Might restore the car's own timer to charge from 23:30 anyway for now (it used to be set to 00:30 for GO charging)

On the devices tab in the app, when created it shows up under the car icon at the top of the page. Tapping the green text expands it to show the time slots.

You can swipe the page down to refresh it, the schedule generally appears later in the day for me.

Attachments

• IMG_8037.png
    IMG_8037.png
    415.1 KB · Views: 37
Thanks all.
I checked the App again (it started quickly and correctly this time) and finally this time, in 'devices', it shows "we've mapped tonight's smart charge".
I have 84% in the battery now and want 95% (for a trip) tomorrow morning by 10am.
I've been given a 06:00 to 06:30 time slot!

With so little required it'll be done well before 1am.

I must have another problem with the continuous "idling" then (only have the Tesla App, Teslafi on monitoring only and now IO).
It does seem to get into this mode occasionally after a charge or long time after a drive (cabin overheat is off).